ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-04-2014   #21
DaveK

Default Re: Question on ultra low mile ZR1s

Some people like to mod their cars, some don't. It's an individual's choice and an individual taste and I imagine everyone has their own idea of what would be classed as "major modification". One of the things that makes life so richly interesting is that people see things differently. I see no reason why someone should be asked to censor their opinion just because someone else disagrees with it.

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #22
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanmike View Post
Hey Guys,
New to to the forum, and looking to purchase my first ZR1/Vette.

What are your thoughts on buying a ZR1 with less than 1000 miles?
Any sense of what kind of work would need to be done to get one of these roadworthy?

Thanks,
Mike
You apparently plan on driving (roadworthy) a ZR1 with less than 1,000 miles on it which is fine and the kicks you get out of driving an essentially show room ZR1 might be worth it to you

Again.....change the fluids and if no check engine lights and no misses at any speed .....and if the vacuum pump shuts off within a few seconds with key on......go for it

I think what everyone is saying is that the value of the ZR1 drops quickly as you add miles beyond a very low mileage ZR1 to say 30,000 miles more or less. But the value of the fun driving a showroom ZR1 may be worth it as that is no different than say buying a showroom any model in essentially new condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I imagine everyone has their own idea of what would be classed as "major modification".
Dave
I would call the start of major modifications a camshaft change but not porting as there are many degrees of porting. Beyond that.........new pistons, stroking, and other bottom end modifications I would call major modifications or anything that changes displacement.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-06-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014   #23
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Thank you, I agree wholeheartedly.
Mine is about as modified as it can get! I had a 93 40thRubyZee with 168 miles on the odometer for several years & it was nice to sit in and smell the new, but was completely useless to me.

this is a lingenfelter wide body zr1. can spot them a mile away. In my opinion, hte nicest and mean looking zr1 kit around. Love your zr1. about 3 years ago I saw a lingenfelter wide body red car with a 415 stroker with 650 hp hit the block for 34k!! only 34k. I was foaming at the mouth. I took my wife left our house and made it to the mecum auction 4 hours away so I can see this car and take pics. it was under the sold tent and I just feasted on this thing. absolutely gorgeous. It had racing seats and belts and the complete wide body kit with extra wide tires etc... just took my breath away. Your car looks great. Nothing like a car like that.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #24
Vetman

I bought my 60,000 mile car with only mod of 410, 's in rear which were shot. Could shake the drive shaft in the housing. Everything else quiet and perfect. 410's apparently had no shims so was not set up properly, wore terribly. Paid 14,000 for car 1.5 years ago. Replaced with 345's and guess I was lucky cause car runs perfect in every way. AC works with r 34 and 7000 without a miss. Love driving it with care with occasional squirt to the secondaries.
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #25
edram454

You got a great deal on a great car. these cars have a lot of life in them so 60k miles is nothing. 14k for your car is great. I paid 17k for mine with many mods 45k miles and runs perfect. Just sold my 500+ hp c5 today. the buyer took it for a test drive with me in it and burned the tires in the first 3 gears till i told him enough. he paid cash and left. car had 39k miles. I hate to sell good cars but I cant have them all. I 'll just keep my Z. Congrats on your Z.
Old 01-05-2014   #26
edram454

engine looks great Lee. Lots of bling on it. Another steal at 14k. Seeing that its yours I know it must run good!
Old 01-05-2014   #27
A1990

The OP asked what he would have to do to get a ZR-1 with <1000 miles on the road...

It seems we all missed the point...sorry to Stuntmanmike...maybe you want to start a new thread.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014   #28
edram454

Let's chill out. This forum is informative and it's supposed to be fun. This should not be so strict or serious where we cannot share a full spectrum of ideas and information. I agree the OP's question was answered. He should have much more knowledge now than before he posted his question. Thanks to everyone that shared there answers.
Old 01-05-2014   #29
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntmanmike View Post
Hey Guys,
New to to the forum, and looking to purchase my first ZR1/Vette.

What are your thoughts on buying a ZR1 with less than 1000 miles?
Any sense of what kind of work would need to be done to get one of these roadworthy?

Thanks,
Mike
You apparently plan on driving (roadworthy) a ZR1 with less than 1,000 miles on it which is fine and the kicks you get out of driving an essentially show room ZR1 might be worth it to you

Again.....change the fluids and if no check engine lights and no misses at any speed.....and if the vacuum pump shuts off within a few seconds with key on......go for it....the cost will be cost of fluids which should be less than $150

I think what everyone is saying is that the value of the ZR1 drops quickly as you add miles beyond a very low mileage ZR1 to say 30,000 miles more or less. But the value of the fun driving a showroom ZR1 may be worth it as that is no different than say buying a showroom any model in essentially new condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
Let's chill out.
OK

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-06-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2014   #30
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Some people like to mod their cars, some don't. It's an individual's choice and an individual taste and I imagine everyone has their own idea of what would be classed as "major modification". One of the things that makes life so richly interesting is that people see things differently.
Dave
Just another opinion in that regard......just to show stuntmanmike what minor modifications look like and cost. This will give stuntmanmike an idea of what one can do with little additional cost on a low mileage ZR-1 if you really want to have some fun.

I purchased for $14K a 90' with 75K miles. Refurbished TOP END eliminating TB Coolant, Eliminated Air Induction, and Adding SW Headers (the bulk of the expense). Except for Headers probably spent $500 total on Top End Refurbishing (so much for bringing out my checkbook talk)

Removed Cam Covers with engine in car and checked Camshaft Timing (was right on the money). I have to add.....I can now look into the Timing slot in the front camshaft retainer of each camshaft and tell you within a degree what the timing is without using any "tool" inserted into that slot. But to get timing exact you really have to use a deflection meter on the lifter to determine exactly the position of the valve at TDC.

I spent maybe another $500 on Bling

And must not forget the $15 spent on High Temp Silver Rustoleum.

And then I splurged with $800 Wilwood C5 Z06 Brake Upgrade

I used PayPal for Jerry's gaskets (and some very nice SS Allen Head Bolts) and some new secondary components that actually were functional as they were

My point is simple......if you have wrenches and know how to use them, Modifying/Refurbishing an LT5 is a LOT OF FUN and a Piece of Cake especially with the guys on this Forum to answer ANY and ALL questions you may have. Oh Ya....almost forgot......did a compression check (215, 212, 215, 213, 216, 211, 215, 212) and changed ALL fluids. LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-06-2014 at 09:29 AM.