ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-23-2018   #21
S.hafsmo

Default Re: Code 61 during colder outside temp

What he said,
Quote:
As stated in the FSM write-up, IF the secondaries are commanded CLOSED, but the VACUUM SENSOR detects vacuum when it shouldn't. (B/c the SOLENOID vacuum switch is suppose to be blocking vacuum from the SENSOR and the SPT actuators when the SPTs are commanded CLOSED.)

And, b/c you have a 90, you can disconnect the vacuum line from the VACUUM SENSOR which is easily accessible directly under the ECM. NO plenum removal required.
This hose coming to the sensor below the ECM (and its connected components) should be ventilated to atmosphere through the solenoid below the plenum as long as the secondaries are not activated. If the problem still persists, I'm just about certain that the fault must be on the electrical side of the system.
Note, if the secondaries are activated while the hose is of, it will throw Code 61, as the sensor will not register vacuum when it's supposed to.
Old 05-23-2018   #22
Wigert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
No. What S.hafsmo was driving at was a method of verifying the vacuum solenoid is not leaking.

As stated in the FSM write-up, IF the secondaries are commanded CLOSED, but the VACUUM SENSOR detects vacuum when it shouldn't. (B/c the SOLENOID vacuum switch is suppose to be blocking vacuum from the SENSOR and the SPT actuators when the SPTs are commanded CLOSED.)

And, b/c you have a 90, you can disconnect the vacuum line from the VACUUM SENSOR which is easily accessible directly under the ECM. NO plenum removal required.=D>
(Note: At this point, I have my fingers crossed, cuz I've never actually done this particular test - just going by the FSM and logic.

The THIRD time I had the plenum off b/c of another SPT issue, I went "COMMANDO" so to speak and took Pete P's suggestion and removed every last bit of the SPT system. Turns out as one of the best "mods" I've done so far, and I NEVER regretted it for a heartbeat!! There's NO drivability downside!)
"Parts that aren't there seldom break and they don't cost much!"

Oh, some romantics pine over the loss of function of the FULL POWER switch and the novelty of it....WAXERS....and endeavor to maintain the SPTs uniqueness. But, I like the INSTANT throttle response, the reduced coking especially on the secondary intake valve, and NEVER EVER having a CODE 61 ever again.
)
Thank you for the detailed clarification. I understand the concept now. I hope that I get some time to test this soon.

I see I have a lot to learn about the zr1...

Skickat från min GEM-701L via Tapatalk
Wigert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018   #23
Wigert

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.hafsmo View Post
What he said,

This hose coming to the sensor below the ECM (and its connected components) should be ventilated to atmosphere through the solenoid below the plenum as long as the secondaries are not activated. If the problem still persists, I'm just about certain that the fault must be on the electrical side of the system.
Note, if the secondaries are activated while the hose is of, it will throw Code 61, as the sensor will not register vacuum when it's supposed to.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will test it soon! I am not sure if I want the problem to be electrical or vacuum related... ☺

Skickat från min GEM-701L via Tapatalk
Wigert is offline   Reply With Quote