ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-25-2010   #31
tomtom72

Default Re: My '90 ZR-1 project update thread

Okay with checking to see if the new core will leak I would either use my pressure test kit or I would use one of my hand vacuum pumps. The vacuum pump would proly be the simplest & fastest way....it either pulls a vacuum or it don't. I hate to say this but I would use plumber's putty to seal up the core in & out so I could pull the vacuum! But I'll bet a couple of wine bottle corks would do the trick also!

Cliff is correct about the PSI in a potable water system. I just figured you could adjust the faucet flow to a reasonable level, fill the core & get thru flowing water and block one of the pipes with the palm of your hand to restrict the flow to put some pressure on the core, but then it is going to leak around your hands.

A lot of guys use that guy from e-bay, partsladie. I've used them for some stuff also. Their prices are pretty good and they will not bend you over with shipping charges.....like GM parts direct.

Good luck on your restoration, and may the Force be with You!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #32
bdw18_123

UPDATE:

I've decided that I'm not going to replace the heater core. I pressure tested the heater core that is in the car and it did not leak, so I think it will work fine. Didn't feel like taking more stuff apart to get to it. I know I'm taking a gamble, but it's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Anyway, I've got the dash vent ducting back in and bolted the dash skeleton back on.

When I was taking the ducting out and had removed this piece (I put new foam on it, the stock stuff had crumbled away)...

I found that GM messed up and forgot to completely remove the plug from the hole, so I removed it all the way. That vent sure wouldn't work very good with that plastic in the way!

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #33
bdw18_123

Gauges have been reinstalled after removing the clear plastic and cleaning both sides with plastic polish. Also cleaned up the dust that had collected below the gauges behind the clear plastic. I also removed all the bulbs in the back one by one and cleaned them since I had found that they were really dusty.

Dash pad had some issues around the top of the glovebox door...

You can tell someone tried to glue it, but obviously that didn't last. I decided to use screws to hold the edges down since those areas are pretty much hidden from view. I drilled pilot holes and put the screws in. It's not perfect, but it looks a lot better. The door will also open and close better now.

I've been using Mother's "Back to Black" plastic restorer on all the non-painted plastic and vinyl interior parts. I love this stuff! What a difference it makes! The parts don't have to be black either. It makes the plastic look almost new again, as long as it isn't too oxidized or brittle. It takes away that dull, flat look that old plastic & vinyl has.

Here is an example. In this picture, I have applied "Back to Black" to the glove box door, but not the surrounding dash. You can see that the door is a lot blacker (the flash lightens the black somewhat, it's darker in person).

-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed

Last edited by bdw18_123; 04-22-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-22-2010   #34
Z51JEFF

Comin together.I was in Madera not too long ago,I should have got in touch.
Z51JEFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #35
bdw18_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Comin together.I was in Madera not too long ago,I should have got in touch.
You were? Ya, you could have stopped by & and seen my Z in pieces all over the place! Would be cool to meet another ZR-1-oner in person!

Especially if you take your ZR-1, I'd love to see it! I still have never ridden in a drivable ZR-1 yet, or even heard an LT5 running in person! Let me know next time your in the area, we could meet up.

-OBX cat-back exhaust.

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed

Last edited by bdw18_123; 04-22-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2010   #36
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdw18_123 View Post
You were? Ya, you could have stopped by & and seen my Z in pieces all over the place! Would be cool to meet another ZR-1-oner in person!

Especially if you take your ZR-1, I'd love to see it! I still have never ridden in a drivable ZR-1 yet, or even heard an LT5 running in person! Let me know next time your in the area, we could meet up.
It aint gonna be for a loooooooooooooooong time.My uncle John Wells was the mayor down there for years.If your anywhere near Fremont give me a call.It would be great if somebody put together a Z gathering not too far from me.
Z51JEFF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #37
A26B

Heck of a job Ben!!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #38
bdw18_123

Continued work on the dash pad. Part of the hold down tab above the headlight switch assembly was broken...

...so I cut out a small piece of thin aluminum sheet metal, drilled pilot holes in the remaining part of the plastic and attached the aluminum with screws (I have scraps of aluminum sheet metal from when I used to work on aircraft).

After I cleaned and detailed the dash pad (including the carpet section) & gauges surround piece, I reinstalled them.

Windshield interior pieces have also been cleaned & detailed.

Cleaned and reinstalled DIC & A/C control head.

Cleaned and reinstalled headlight switch assembly.

-OBX cat-back exhaust.

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
Old 04-26-2010   #39
-=Jeff=-

what are you using to clean all the interior parts?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Flowmaster Cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #40
bdw18_123

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
what are you using to clean all the interior parts?
For all the plastic and vinyl parts, first I clean them real good with some diluted Simple Green. Then I apply "Back to Black" to take away that old, flat look that old plastic and vinyl gets. Makes a huge difference.

For the carpeting, I'm using Turtle Wax's "Power Out Carpet Cleaner" with the scrub brush cap. It brings back the true color of the carpet and gets smells out, which is good because I could tell the PO smoked in this car.

-OBX cat-back exhaust.

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed