ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2015   #31
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: GS D3 GY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93RubyZ View Post
I didn't find the BFG KDs smaller as you can see in the photo of the 315s below. They may have even been just a hair wider, but at the very least the same width. Both tires are mounted on wheels in this photo. As far a wear goes, I just didn't put enough miles on mine to have any wear issues so that probably won't be a consideration for me with the next set I purchase.

Here is a blowup of this image where the KDs appear to be just a tiny bit wider (but again, at the very least the same width).

Pretty close but Put em next to a DS G3 GYs they will look smaller
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-08-2015   #32
93RubyZ

Thanks. Good to know -- I didn't realize the DS-G3's were wider than the GSCs. I had assumed they would be the same. Width is a consideration for me so if the Nittos are not as wide then the DS-G3s may be the only ones for me to look at.
Old 03-08-2015   #33
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93RubyZ View Post
Thanks. Good to know -- I didn't realize the DS-G3's were wider than the GSCs. I had assumed they would be the same. Width is a consideration for me so if the Nittos are not as wide then the DS-G3s may be the only ones for me to look at.
Well, I just measured the width of the Nitto 555r 315s on my car, and the 315 D3s on Ami's "Turq Monster".

I was expecting the contact patch of the D3's to be wider, and they are. BUT(!), only by approx 1/2"...! (FWIW, I'm thinking part of the perception may be because the shoulders of the D3's are sharper than those of the 555s.)

But, if it is STICK at the drag strip that is important, the 555r (a drag radial) has it all over the D3's. That 1/2" wider contact patch isn't enough to make up for the 555r's STICK advantage...not even close (by my experiences w/ each). On the wet...probably a different story.

So, for WAXERS, the D3's appeal might be greater because they're ≈1/2" wider and the squarish shoulders enhance that perception. SO WHAT? Just sayin...

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 03-08-2015   #34
KILLSHOTS

So what, you ask? One of the reasons for the premature death of the ZR-1 was GM's refusal to adequately differentiate this special vehicle from lesser Corvette models. In fact, as we all know, they actually brought the base model even CLOSER in appearance to the ZR-1 in 1991. The only visual cue that ZR-1 owners have to differentiate their cars from base models is the wider rear bodywork. And yet, it seems as though even some ZR-1 owners feel that it is silly or somehow petty to drop extra coin for the widest tire possible to help accentuate this, the ONLY visual distinction of the car.

When I bought my car, it had brand new Sumis. One of the first things I noted was that the fat rear end didn't have the visual "punch" I remembered from when the cars were new. After a long research period, I settled on Toyo R888s, which absolutely fixed the problem. Yes, I said PROBLEM, which is exactly what I had considered it. It was a day and night difference...my car suddenly LOOKED like a real ZR-1.

If you don't care about wider tires, then don't buy them...be happy with Sumis or Nittos, the latter of which I understand is a fine tire. But how about a little understanding for the "waxers" who just want a ZR-1 to actually look like a ZR-1.
Old 03-08-2015   #35
We Gone

Just for grins. Yellow Nittos, Blue Goodyears.

Front

From another drivers view its hard to tell.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
Old 03-08-2015   #36
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
So what, you ask? One of the reasons for the premature death of the ZR-1 was GM's refusal to adequately differentiate this special vehicle from lesser Corvette models. In fact, as we all know, they actually brought the base model even CLOSER in appearance to the ZR-1 in 1991. The only visual cue that ZR-1 owners have to differentiate their cars from base models is the wider rear bodywork. And yet, it seems as though even some ZR-1 owners feel that it is silly or somehow petty to drop extra coin for the widest tire possible to help accentuate this, the ONLY visual distinction of the car.

When I bought my car, it had brand new Sumis. One of the first things I noted was that the fat rear end didn't have the visual "punch" I remembered from when the cars were new. After a long research period, I settled on Toyo R888s, which absolutely fixed the problem. Yes, I said PROBLEM, which is exactly what I had considered it. It was a day and night difference...my car suddenly LOOKED like a real ZR-1.

If you don't care about wider tires, then don't buy them...be happy with Sumis or Nittos, the latter of which I understand is a fine tire. But how about a little understanding for the "waxers" who just want a ZR-1 to actually look like a ZR-1.
Car nut: "Oh, man! Did you see that thing go buy?"
Nut's friend: "What? You mean that Corvette?"
Car nut: "Corvette, yes. But, that was a ZR-1! Didn't you see how wide the rear tires were?"
Nut's friend: Well, yeah...kinda; I guess so... But, aren't all Corvette tires wide? You must have good eyes to differentiate the model by the tire width al. There must be something else that tipped you off, right?"
Car nut: "Nope! Only the ZR-1 has tires that wide. No mistaking it!"
Nut's friend says skeptically: So, you're telling me the only identifiable clue to the ZR-1 is the width of the rear tire? Is that what you're saying?? I mean that's it? That' all that makes a ZR-1 different from the standard C4 Corvette? Then what about the Grand Sport? Are all Grand Sports also ZR-1s then, or is it just their paint scheme that further distinguishes a GS from a standard Corvette?"
Car nut: "Well, no. I mean, well, it's more than paint. It has the LT5 motor!"
Nut's friend: "So, it is a ZR-1 IF it has wider rear tires, but does NOT have the dark blue paint and white stripes. Right?"
Car nut: "Um...ah, well...no; the rear is actually 3" wider, and there's no fender flairs. The license plate opening is wider with black spacers between the license plate and the backup lenses, the center stop light is mounted on the roof line. Oh, and the shape of the fenders don't slope inward as much as on the standard models, and the rear wheels, being wider, the lug nuts are distinctly deeper than the standard - except for the GS, of course. Oh! And I almost forgot to mention the best part: the SOUND from the dual exhaust valves is unmistakably unique."
Nut's friend: "So... You were holding out on me huh? There are actually a NUMBER of clues besides just the tire width - which isn't always a hard and fast rule; being unique, I mean..."
Car nut (): "Well, I guess there ARE a bunch of clues; tire width being one possibility, but not the only one. You are right: there ARE several clues..."

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 03-08-2015   #37
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Car nut: "Oh, man! Did you see that thing go buy?"
Nut's friend: "What? You mean that Corvette?"
Car nut: "Corvette, yes. But, that was a ZR-1! Didn't you see how wide the rear tires were?"
Nut's friend: Well, yeah...kinda; I guess so... But, aren't all Corvette tires wide? You must have good eyes to differentiate the model by the tire width al. There must be something else that tipped you off, right?"
Car nut: "Nope! Only the ZR-1 has tires that wide. No mistaking it!"
Nut's friend says skeptically: So, you're telling me the only identifiable clue to the ZR-1 is the width of the rear tire? Is that what you're saying?? I mean that's it? That' all that makes a ZR-1 different from the standard C4 Corvette? Then what about the Grand Sport? Are all Grand Sports also ZR-1s then, or is it just their paint scheme that further distinguishes a GS from a standard Corvette?"
Car nut: "Well, no. I mean, well, it's more than paint. It has the LT5 motor!"
Nut's friend: "So, it is a ZR-1 IF it has wider rear tires, but does NOT have the dark blue paint and white stripes. Right?"
Car nut: "Um...ah, well...no; the rear is actually 3" wider, and there's no fender flairs. The license plate opening is wider with black spacers between the license plate and the backup lenses, the center stop light is mounted on the roof line. Oh, and the shape of the fenders don't slope inward as much as on the standard models, and the rear wheels, being wider, the lug nuts are distinctly deeper than the standard - except for the GS, of course. Oh! And I almost forgot to mention the best part: the SOUND from the dual exhaust valves is unmistakably unique."
Nut's friend: "So... You were holding out on me huh? There are actually a NUMBER of clues besides just the tire width - which isn't always a hard and fast rule; being unique, I mean..."
Car nut (): "Well, I guess there ARE a bunch of clues; tire width being one possibility, but not the only one. You are right: there ARE several clues..."
Thank you for helping me to make my point. The fact that a ZR-1 requires so much additional explanation to those who aren't familiar with it perfectly illustrates so many folks' desire to "accentuate the positive" by installing the widest tires possible.

Goodyear GS-D3s are the widest tires possible, which is why Phillip kindly notified us that they're available again. I could be wrong, but I don't think he was trying to incite a debate on the characteristics, cost or width of Nittos; maybe that would have been best done on one of the many existing tire debate threads.
Old 03-08-2015   #38
Jagdpanzer

Here is a line up of 315/17 GY GSC, GY D3, 335/15 Michein Pilot, and 315/ 17 MT DR

Close up of the 315 D3 and 335 Pilot

George Braml Intake
Old 03-08-2015   #39
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Well, I just measured the width of the Nitto 555r 315s on my car, and the 315 D3s on Ami's "Turq Monster".

I was expecting the contact patch of the D3's to be wider, and they are. BUT(!), only by approx 1/2"...! (FWIW, I'm thinking part of the perception may be because the shoulders of the D3's are sharper than those of the 555s.)

But, if it is STICK at the drag strip that is important, the 555r (a drag radial) has it all over the D3's. That 1/2" wider contact patch isn't enough to make up for the 555r's STICK advantage...not even close (by my experiences w/ each). On the wet...probably a different story.

So, for WAXERS, the D3's appeal might be greater because they're ≈1/2" wider and the squarish shoulders enhance that perception. SO WHAT? Just sayin...

Paul they are wider and shoulders as commented make em look wider as well but hey that's Just one DD opinion waxers mileage may very lol

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 03-08-2015   #40
GOLDCYLON

Ok let's lock this for now and start another tread if required on tires. Phil thanks for the heads up on the D3s being available again

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Closed Thread