ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-28-2015   #31
Johnny5

Default Re: LT5 fuel pump?

I replaced both pumps in my car with the Ep361 i believe it was from rockauto. Advice from the forum guys (454 suburban pumps) it is a direct replacement although you need a dremel to shave off some metal. They work just fine. try to find a small strainer as mine were a little bigger than stock but you can fold it up to fit it in the tank
Johnny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #32
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I ordered the 69223. Then I read later 69225... Just a bit confused here but did the 69223 work for factory replacement ??
69223 is for the Corvette.
69225 is for the K1500 series trucks.

QFS-343FT 340LPH Racing Performance Intank Fuel Pump with Installation Kit. I think the stock pump is good for 140LPH@60psig.

http://www.amazon.com/QFS-343FT-340L...ype=automotive

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car

Last edited by cvette98pacecar; 06-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #33
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
69223 is for the Corvette.
69225 is for the K1500 series trucks.

QFS-343FT 340LPH Racing Performance Intank Fuel Pump with Installation Kit. I think the stock pump is good for 140LPH@60psig.

http://www.amazon.com/QFS-343FT-340L...ype=automotive
Someone mentioned that it worked for the standard corvette and not the ZR-1 and the suburban pump was the one that worked for the z? Should have done my research a bit better I'll probably send these back and order the 69225. I believe several people have done that pump already.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #34
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Someone mentioned that it worked for the standard corvette and not the ZR-1 and the suburban pump was the one that worked for the z? Should have done my research a bit better I'll probably send these back and order the 69225. I believe several people have done that pump already.
Mike, the stock corvette used 1 pump while the Z uses 2. I remember Mark H. saying he had saw Z's that he had worked on where the wrong fuel pump assembly was installed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
Pacecar Registry Member
1998 Pace Car
Old 06-28-2015   #35
WVZR-1

Quote:
Is there any identifiable information inked or etched into the pump housing?

With all of the compiling of pump performance into fewer part numbers if I had already purchased these, had to pay the duties to get them delivered, was going to have to pay a handling charge, more duties for the 69225 buy, pay shipping two ways again AND IF the car were basically stock I might choose to use them vs. the return. Those pumps are likely as good as OR better than those $25 specials at RA that people buy just because they're cheap and no one has actually benchmarked their performance. Some manufacturers I'd think build a few pumps to a "greater" spec than OE for some and just toss them in a box and sell them as a part numbered product that makes us/buyers think were buying a correct spec'd product.

Something to consider maybe - - -

I ain't suggesting but it's maybe something to consider. A good bit likely depends upon the relationship you have with the vendor.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #36
5ABI VT

I did take a photo of the pump and numbers. I honestly haven't found anything or know how to cross link workable pumps like some guys have mentioned so I was going by what was posted. I saw 69223 mentioned above and the started to see 69225 everywhere else and realized I may have made a mistake.

I do know fuel pumps are not flux capacitors and are relatively cheap for what they are and therefore am not hinting the $23 pumps are bad in any way.. I just didn't fee comfortable with a $23 pump. For $40 more the Bosch pump claims to be of a different design and balanced at speed with reduced noise etc and I always try and spend the extra if there's any possible gains/benefits to be had. Maybe it won't be noticeable at all but it's peace of mind to me.

Here's a pic of the 69223. If the regular corvette pump is not the same as the dual ZR-1 pumps it leads me to believe there is a reason for that wether it's fuel flow or size for figment Into the different assembly. The car is relatively stock and i have read oem pumps are good for a good amount of hp over stock so I'm looking for the best quality pump that is oe replacement.

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 06-28-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2015   #37
5ABI VT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
Is there any identifiable information inked or etched into the pump housing?

With all of the compiling of pump performance into fewer part numbers if I had already purchased these, had to pay the duties to get them delivered, was going to have to pay a handling charge, more duties for the 69225 buy, pay shipping two ways again AND IF the car were basically stock I might choose to use them vs. the return. Those pumps are likely as good as OR better than those $25 specials at RA that people buy just because they're cheap and no one has actually benchmarked their performance. Some manufacturers I'd think build a few pumps to a "greater" spec than OE for some and just toss them in a box and sell them as a part numbered product that makes us/buyers think were buying a correct spec'd product.

Something to consider maybe - - -

I ain't suggesting but it's maybe something to consider. A good bit likely depends upon the relationship you have with the vendor.

It's my mistake really. I'm a little impatient and I even paid for the fast 2 day shipping to Canada ($43) so I'll lose that at the least. Going to reorder the 69225s and strainers today.
Old 06-28-2015   #38
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by limo1988 View Post
I have a 1990 ZR1 and I think I may have a failing fuel pump. What I would like to know: Is there a specific LT5 fuel pump and where can I buy it? Where specifically is the location on the LT5 for the connection for a fuel pressure gauge? Any help would be appreciated...
First, don't guess at the fuel pumps because the cost of the replacement parts and that the labor involved pulling the pumps then adapting the Chevy truck pumps to the ZR-1 fuel pump/sender assembly can be time consuming.

First, you need a copy of the Factory Service Manual for 1990. Then, you need to run the fuel pressure tests listed in the manual. The diagnostic procedures in the book will help you test both pumps along with the rest of the fuel supply system (fuel lines, fuel filter, regulator and etc).

You didn't say what symptoms the car has which makes you think the pumps are bad but the symptoms which make people think they have a fuel pump problem can, indeed, be caused by failed fuel pump(s) they also can be casued by components other than fuel pumps.

Good luck!
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 06-28-2015 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added content
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015   #39
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
Mike, the stock corvette used 1 pump while the Z uses 2. I remember Mark H. saying he had saw Z's that he had worked on where the wrong fuel pump assembly was installed.
There is only one pump assembly for LT5s. What Marc may have seen was stock fuel pump/pick-up assemblies fitted with the wrong pumps, ie: someone decided to DIY the individual pumps and used the wrong ones.

When you do the DIY replacement of the individual pumps make damn sure you'll installing the right pump. Get the wrong pump(s) and you may wonder why your engine holes some pistons.

Finally I looked at Rockauto.com and they may not understand that the ZR-1 pump assembly is different than that for a 1990 base car because both of the complete pump/sender assemblies they sell are for L98s.

Corvette parts vendor, Zip Products sells a complete ZR-1 pump/pick-up assembly (PN GT-406). They also sell individual pumps.

There is a step-by-step how-to on replacing the ZR-1 fuel pump/pick-up assembly at http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...-installation/
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #40
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
There is only one pump assembly for LT5s. What Marc may have seen was stock fuel pump/pick-up assemblies fitted with the wrong pumps, ie: someone decided to DIY the individual pumps and used the wrong ones.

When you do the DIY replacement of the individual pumps make damn sure you'll installing the right pump. Get the wrong pump(s) and you may wonder why your engine holes some pistons.

Finally I looked at Rockauto.com and they may not understand that the ZR-1 pump assembly is different than that for a 1990 base car because both of the complete pump/sender assemblies they sell are for L98s.

Corvette parts vendor, Zip Products sells a complete ZR-1 pump/pick-up assembly (PN GT-406). They also sell individual pumps.

There is a step-by-step how-to on replacing the ZR-1 fuel pump/pick-up assembly at http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...-installation/
Hib, I thought the LT-1, LT-4 cars used a fuel pump assembly with one pump, The LT5 assembly has the second pump. I do not believe the pumps are different.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pacecar Registry Member
1998 Pace Car