ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-01-2008   #31
GOLDCYLON

Thumbs up Re: Anyone with StainlessWorks headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Look you guys are knit picking at least on the O2 wires,simple fix.
JVD on the pipes, you should try fitting the other brand of headers made for our cars, Oh wait there isn't anyone else.

Just be glad somebody makes headers for our cars.

JVD just help fix the pipe problems with SW for future ZR-1 installers.

I don't know how the EGR stuff is, can you weld stainless AN ends with a stainless flex pipe
Sometimes we have to think outside the box.

Pete
ahhh.. No Pete we are not nit picking we were ALL asked about specific issues as ZZZZZr1 asked to post those issues up in post #6 and the responses so far ARE valid. With the end goal of making a better product as discussed by ZR1MOM. Yes it is good to have a another header option for those of us that are not running Jeals. However the issues brought up are not invalidated because a single product is available. Hopefully SSW is taking notes and continues to push a better product in the near term. The oil dipstick problem and the EGR tubing are issues that could be easily resolved. The wire harness extension is more of just an annoyance factor from GM in the early years which bothered them enough to reroute the wires. The attempt here is to not slam anybody, but post up what we have all seen, know or at least heard. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 10-01-2008 at 02:31 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #32
jonszr1

Default Re: Anyone with StainlessWorks headers

very nice update ,it seems like the issues are getting fixed very quickly . shows how much stainless works cares
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #33
zr1don

I installed my SW headers on my 90 Z two weeks ago.

Issues:
1. Oil dip stick bracket could not be bolted up. Factory spacer & bolt would not work. #4 exhaust tube interfered w/long bolt & spacer. Tried shortening bolt & spacer, could not get it to work. Ended up cutting the bracket off the dip stick tube, welded it back on to the oppisite side of tube & it fits w/SW bolt & no spacer.

2. Headers had EGR tube in passenger side header. Cut tube off flush & welded patch over hole.

3. Passenger side O2 sensor wiring was too short, made extension & installed.

4. Passenger side extension tube behind cat was too long, cut approximately an inch off both ends of extension.

5. I live in CA & the AIR injection system is required to pass smog. I removed the AIR tubes from my factory exhaust & installed (welded) them to the SW's.

System sounds great, seat of the pants it pulls much stronger in upper rpm range (5-7,000).
zr1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #34
GOLDCYLON

Thumbs up Re: Anyone with StainlessWorks headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1don View Post

Issues:
1. Oil dip stick bracket could not be bolted up. Factory spacer & bolt would not work. #4 exhaust tube interfered w/long bolt & spacer. Tried shortening bolt & spacer, could not get it to work. Ended up cutting the bracket off the dip stick tube, welded it back on to the oppisite side of tube & it fits w/SW bolt & no spacer.

2. Headers had EGR tube in passenger side header. Cut tube off flush & welded patch over hole.

4. Passenger side extension tube behind cat was too long, cut approximately an inch off both ends of extension.

5. I live in CA & the AIR injection system is required to pass smog. I removed the AIR tubes from my factory exhaust & installed (welded) them to the SW's.

System sounds great, seat of the pants it pulls much stronger in upper rpm range (5-7,000).

Thanks Don, helpful and productive comments
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #35
zr1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
very nice update ,it seems like the issues are getting fixed very quickly . shows how much stainless works cares

They really do care and want to make sure you're happy. Is it perfect yet no but with everyones help we will make it perfect.

Thanks!
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008   #36
zr1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1don View Post

Issues:

Thanks ZR1DON this is the kind of info we need.
NCM Lifetime Member
zr1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #37
Aurora40

Just curious, what is different with this latest run of them? Haven't people been installing these for a few years successfully?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #38
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1mom View Post
They really do care and want to make sure you're happy. Is it perfect yet no but with everyones help we will make it perfect.

Thanks!
Was just wondering if there was any word regarding my original problem, the EGR fix? I haven't heard a word from their customer service.
thanks
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008   #39
32valvZ

I bought my SW's just before the GP in Bowling Green at the Gathering in May. The install went well, but I needed the extensions on both sides. If you want to route the wires and have them out of the way with a professional install in mind, the extensions are needed. Not doubting Marc Haibeck..... you can get the driver side to plug in, but its still too tight in my opinion.
[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008   #40
vandornjim

Just a followup note regarding Stainless Works. Though they promised to get back to me regarding the EGR pipe extension, I haven't heard a word from their customer service or tech dept. Not good...
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote