ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-10-2014   #41
XfireZ51

Default Re: Do you guys think this spoiler is too "tacky"???

Paul,

Don't bother. It would probably melt the SDD card.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #42
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Wow...Really? That makes my eyes hurt, Kevin!

We've got a dude around here with a yellow/black C4 convertible that has a kit almost as hideous. I had a chance meeting with the owner at a gas station. He was wearing a cowboy hat and a black satin jacket with "CORVETTE" in bold, 2" letters embroidered down the sleeves; quite the character.

I tired to ask him about the car. All he would keep saying to any question was, "It's all customized!" Well, no chit, mon! (Did I mention it has "Lambo doors" too??)

I'll try to get some pix of it next time I see it. You won't know whether to laugh or cry. But, as suggested: if he likes it, that's all that matters.
there was an "exotic" night at a local cruise in, the damned thing was parked in that section. I think I saw it at carlise too
Old 07-10-2014   #43
edram454

we have a guy here in south florida that has a black c5 that he made exhaust stacks with flaps like a semi to ride around with. he also has an attachment that allows him to make popcorn from his exhaust stacks. he has tons of red pinstriping, ridiculous pinstriping all over his car and he goes to all the local shows. everybody laughs and he enjoys it. when i had my c5 i would cringe when he should up in his. i think it had something to do with me getting rid of mine. i had a fantastic c5 with tons of power but nobody ever looked at it. it never got any respect and i stopped going to corvette activities. my zr1 gets noticed everywhere. even when i go to a tire store or whatever, the mechanics ask if they can take pics of my engine. i like the feeling of having a classic exotic car but with performance that is relevant with new cars coming out for sale to the public. i have had c3's and unless you do a major engine transplant, it is just too slow and they get smoked. zr1 c4's give me the best of both worlds. so far i only like tony davila's spoiler. I really don't like the rest of them.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #44
BigJohn

Ed you are scaring me!!!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #45
edram454

nothing wrong with tony's spoiler. it looks aggressive and goes with his hood and four slot cowl panels. I like aggressive looking cars. Nothing wrong with a little flair every now and then as long as the performance matches the aggressive look. FYI mine looks stock except for the cage inside and runs a lot better than stock.

ed ramos #3028
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #46
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
there was an "exotic" night at a local cruise in, the damned thing was parked in that section. I think I saw it at carlise too
I know it is just me... but I really have to try when it comes to saying anything nice about 95% of the aero mods. JMO, but I feel it is pretty hard to improve upon the Corvette looks "as is". Even my LT5, tho significantly modified internally, has dummy hoses that remain attached to it to give the outward appearance of being 100% stock.

But, 95% isn't 100%, which leaves room for some very well done aeros like Robert's stunningly beautiful purple Calloway example: it looks totally factory and not a hint of the usual obvious, ill-fitting, sick-on, bolt on, or gaudy (read: gawd awful) junk. HINT: If the mod comes with double-sided sticky foam...it is well on its way to being hated!!

Aero mods: I guess it boils down to whether it appears tastefully unique and appear as tho it could have been a factory-built car: but definitely NOT an attempt at a tribute to say a Testarossa - ZR-1 (yeah, there's one of those kits out there too).

Tasteful but not flashy for flashy sake; functionally necessary for the purpose (e.g., a track car), and it must perform at or better than it looks. I say, let the LT5 do the talking!! JMO.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #47
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I know it is just me... but I really have to try when it comes to saying anything nice about 95% of the aero mods. JMO, but I feel it is pretty hard to improve upon the Corvette looks "as is". Even my LT5, tho significantly modified internally, has dummy hoses that remain attached to it to give the outward appearance of being 100% stock.

But, 95% isn't 100%, which leaves room for some very well done aeros like Robert's stunningly beautiful purple Calloway example: it looks totally factory and not a hint of the usual obvious, ill-fitting, sick-on, bolt on, or gaudy (read: gawd awful) junk. HINT: If the mod comes with double-sided sticky foam...it is well on its way to being hated...(including the eyebrows over the wheel wells on the GS!)

Aero mods: I guess it boils down to whether it appears tastefully unique and appear as tho it could have been a factory-built car: but definitely NOT an attempt at a tribute to say a Testarossa - ZR-1 (yeah, there's one of those kits out there too).

Tasteful but not flashy for flashy sake; functionally necessary for the purpose (e.g., a track car), and it must perform at or better than it looks. I say, let the LT5 do the talking!! JMO.
I swear they make those Testarossa kits for anything with 4 wheels. There is one locally on a 1998 1 ton Chev dually truck, and its painted yellow.

I agree with your 95%, my opinion goes into wheel territory as well. Hard to improve on looks IMO.

Som eof the mildest changes can make dramatic improvements. MAjor changes in aesthetics are usually a detriment IMO.

We used to have a gold coloured C4 that would come in to the shop for alignments. Everytime he camke in the car would be different. His spoilers kept getting higher and higher.
Dad would rib the guy about having a "cod rack" on the rear of my car. He was an East coaster, so there was added value in that joke.

The C4 Zed is in itself prominent enough. But asking about the way something looks, will get as many answers as people asked.
Kinda like asking someone if their Wife is hot. "No she is a wildebeast, I keep her chained in the basement, under the stairs, and I feed her raw meat."

If you like it drive it, if you like it marry it! Only you know what "grinds your gears".

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014   #48
alnukem

I was going to buy one of the wings I posted in the first post.....I did not know if I was going to use it. I was going to set it on there & check it out, I haven't seen one installed in person. I thought it might blend in, I think it might depend on paint also. To me, it's just like wheels, you have to see the combo together to see if you have a winner. If someone sees one of the spoiler I posted or a 49th st one, please PM me.

Body mods on C4's must be a really personal thing, I see guys going crazy on the 49th street rockers & Aero Bodies & they don't do much for me.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #49
aafc

Hi,
When i brought my ZR-1 back in April 94 49th street had a body package
witch consists of the front spoiler ( M1 prowler # ada-902, the side panels
for ZR-1 #ada-904 and their rear wing called Astro-trac # ada-909. their
claim was the all 3 items gave the car more stability at high speed. this
was back in Sept 1994. I drove this car at speeds above 70 + the car felt like
someone was pushing down on the car, it just flat out held the ground above
that speed. Now i did drive to 130 mph on a closed track and the car was
rock steady the whole time. I no longer drive at high speed any more, just
drag race when i can.
One plus of the astro-trac is that no one follows to close to the rear because
the wing gives off twin mini rooster tails in the rain. I have had that wing on my car for over 16 years and the wing only weights about 20 lbs. I removed the wing last Sept to repair some fine cracks in the wing.
Oh! the side panels ( ZR-1 ) and the astro-trac were also made for the stock corvette as well.

As some have posted if a wing or side panels looks good to the person who
owns the car why not? Enjoy life while you can!
John Becker
1990 white/black # 2546
one of a few auto 4l80E eq. ZR-1's
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote