ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-04-2012   #51
QB93Z

Default Re: ZR-1 Alaskan Adventure Travel Log

On Friday, the 11th day of our trip, we left Haines Junction, Yukon and headed northwest on the Alaska Highway toward Alaska. The first part of today's route runs along Kluane National Park. The park is dominated by the St Elias Mountains:

As we moved further north, we traveled on the high Yukon tundra. The tundra is a wet swampy area that in the winter is frozen deep under ground. In the summer months, the surface melts and there are large areas of standing water that cannot drain into the soil. The plants that thrive in the tundra include the Black Spruce, the tall, skinny, scruffy-looking evergreens that dominate the forests. The Black Spruce trees may be hundreds of years old. They grow slowly and it may take 100 years to reach a two-inch diameter trunk:

There is a little more traffic today but there was still a lot of open road:

The largest body of water in the Yukon is Lake Kluane:

Here we are crossing the south end of Lake Kluane, approaching a weathered mountain:

This area suffered a large forest fire a few years ago. One of the first plants that regrows after a forest fire is Fire Weed:

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012   #52
QB93Z

Here we are in Burwash Landing, Yukon, parked in front of the World's largest Gold Pan (we had to stop for that):

The road conditions today are the most challenging thus far. There are many areas of the road that have been damaged by frost heaves and pot holes. The Canadian maintanence crews do a good job of repairing the road, but the repair leaves large areas that are made of packed crushed rock. They can carry the traffic, but the speed is reduced and there is a lot of dust and opportunities for rock damage:

We stopped for lunch at Buckshot Betty's. The Alaska Highway is home to a lot of characters and people who enjoy the "last fronteer" status of north west Canada and Alaska:

Ahead in this photo you can see some bicyclists riding to Haines Junction. This group was apparently a family. They were carrying packs and the third cycle was a tamdem bike with a young girl on the back seat:

WELCOME TO ALASKA!!!

After crossing the USA-Canada border, the road is instantly transformed to the nicest road you ever drove on. But after a few miles, the road condition matched that in Canada with many repaired areas:

We arrived in Tok, Alaska, another small town that provides service to drivers on the Alaska Highway.

Jim
Old 08-04-2012   #53
HIZNHRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Before we left, I considered renting a satellite phone to carry in case of emergency on the road. But the most reasonable advice I got from seasoned travelers was that in these areas, other drivers would offer aid to a motorist in distress. We already have helped a family whose car was over heating and needed water.

Jim
Jim, you've been helping people since the day I met you. You're a class act.

The pictures are outstanding and to experience an adventure like the one you and Lyndi are on is beyond words. Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures. Alaska is on our bucket list but we'll probably see it from the deck of a ship.

I've seen less of the USA and more of several other countries than I ever cared to. I hope to change that. Being able to see North America the way you and Lyndi are is a blessing. Doing it in a ZR-1 is icing on the cake. Drive safe, enjoy, and God speed.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #54
QB93Z

On Saturday, we left Tok, Alaska for the last day on the Alaska Highway. One of the things that many people told me when I said I was going to drive a ZR-1 to Alaska was that my windshield would get broken. I think that the posibillity is low, I did note that in Tok there is a Gift Shop that advertises Windshield Repair:

Heading up the Highway towards Fairbanks, the road was in execellent condition and the traffic was light:

We reached Delta Junction, Alaska which is the official end of the Alaska Highway. The Highway which was finished in November 1942 as essentially a single lane dirt road through the most challenging terrain ever attempted cost $115,000,000. During every day of our trip, I marvelled at the dedication and accomplishment of the American military and contractor team that toiled through cold and miserable conditions to build the road:

We stopped for a photo under the Alaskan Oil Pipeline where it crosses the Tanana River:

A lot of todays travel was on a wide alluvial plain. The high mountains to the south made a breautiful scene:

West of Fairbanks, we passed Eielson Air Force Base, home of the Alaska Air National Guard fighters:

After a brief stop in North Pole, Alaska, we arrived in Fairbanks.

Jim

Last edited by QB93Z; 08-26-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2012   #55
tomtom72

I still can't quite wrap my mind around the vastness of that part of the world! It just defies description!

Thank you Lindi and Jim for sharing the picts on the outbound leg!

Be safe and have a ton of fun!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #56
scottfab

What a fantastic pictorial exhibit this is.
It's like we're traveling with you.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #57
efnfast

I'd like to take a sec to thank Lindi for putting up with Jim while he keeps all his car buddies up on the trip.

Thanks Jim and Lindi, this is amazing.

Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #58
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Driving throughout Alaska. Check

Driving a ZR-1 10,000 miles *(in less than 30 days) Check

Bucket list item. Check

*. With a permagrin. Priceless!!!!!

Thanks for posting for all to see!!!!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012   #59
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
we got an early start to board the car ferry to sail from Skagway to Haines, Alaska
Jim, were you able to drive the Z onto the ferry and park it, or did "they" do it for you?
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012   #60
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghlkal View Post
Jim, were you able to drive the Z onto the ferry and park it, or did "they" do it for you?
Everyone drives their own car onto the ferry. I had gotten a lot of attention while waiting in line to load. Several of the ferry workers had come over to talk about the ZR-1 and to make sure it would make it over the ramp edges. We got aboard with no problem.

Jim