ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-26-2014   #61
XfireZ51

Default Re: Questions/Help on buying a ZR1

So you blew the airline fare as well? Please come back once you have all your ducks in a row.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #62
J-Bonez

PM sent for JThomas
J-Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #63
JThomas

Got your PM. Celebrating the holiday with family. I will try to give you a call tomorrow.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014   #64
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bonez View Post
Due to my neighbor backing out on letting me keep the car in his garage, I asked all my friends, family, and had a serious talk with my father telling him I'd let him drive it if I could just keep it in his garage, but he would not budge. I am so disappointed. I love this car and had a bank check made out to the owners name and everything. But I can't drop all that money and let it go to **** outside in NJ from 10-90 degrees. I guess I will have to wait until I have my own place and garage. I let Rob know that I was not going anymore when I found out the bad news. I wish I had my own GARAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The way I'm readin' this here, you're not buying a Z because you don't have a garage?

I'm a little obsessive about dirt and oil - more-so than anyone on the boards here... But I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a Z.

A car cover would be a little cheaper (and sooner), than buying the same size home with a garage, and then looking for another Z.
----------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThomas View Post
My son and I just returned home from viewing this vehicle. I did not get the message that you were not going to make it today.

We had a beautiful drive and a really nice visit with the owner and his wife. Definitely car people!

Since I was there, the owner opened up the car for me and let me take a look. Gorgeous paint, very nice interior. He started the vehicle and it ran smoothly. We talked cars for a while and then my son and I left, because I didn't want to take up his day. I thought if I had asked for a test drive he would have let me take it out for a spin, but if I did that, I probably would have bought it!

At least I know where it is.

Happy Memorial Day to all.
How much do you think the car can be had for there JT? What would you ante up for it?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sure looks like he blew a ticket there Dom - I missed that part...
Quote:
As for Joe and Rob, by all means have fun! Just don't rip it so hard that the motor blows before I can enjoy it lol I really am saving at least a day by having you guys look at it and possibly another plane ticket if it has problems.
---------------------------------------------------------
I guess a little more dreaming is in order as well. Sure sorry to hear it there J-Bonez.
Quote:
I can't thank you guys enough. I hope everything is as good as the owner says so I can bring this car home and stop dreaming about that dang ZR1 poster I had in my room since I was a kid.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 05-26-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014   #65
J-Bonez

I'm assuming the car was not garage kept its whole life because of weatherstrips and various little things replaced. With the brand new paint job and weatherstrips which are easily over $1000, yes I would need a garage for the car. I can't park on the street in my town over night. My neighbor offered me a space in his driveway but I can't own a ZR1 and leave it outside. That is just cruel. I tried convincing my father to let me keep it in his garage since he sold his WS6 trans am but he said he would kick me out of the house if I brought it home. The owner would have gave it to me for $16000 but not that it matters now because he told me its sold. I'll just have to wait. The good news is hopefully I'll find one with lower miles in the future that was garage kept its whole life with only 1 or 2 owners so weatherstrips and hoses should all be in great shape. The car had a rebuilt tranny at 32k miles too so it was probably abused.
J-Bonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #66
8cam

FWIW I paid less for my car with the same mileage (but have about $16k total in it) and it lives outside. I don't know the situation in your town, but I wouldn't let something like parking outside stop you. Just wash it frequently.

I do think these cars will rise in value over time, but right now when the most-stolen car in the US is a Honda Accord that costs TWICE as much, it's just not that valuable. Good luck!
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #67
Karl

Living in a big city I can understand how you would not want to park the car outside. Seems like in Chicago, the north side has the worst parking and people have no problem bumping your car to fit in a space.

Good luck!

And BTW the Vette gets em' Wet!

You may get a lot of new lady friends in that Z that you may not want to bring home to pop's place!!!!

Nothing like living on your own with a LT-5 to drive!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #68
KILLSHOTS

Maybe I'm one of the rare ones who gets what J-Bonez is saying. When I bought my '87 vert, I had a place with only a carport. If I didn't cover the car, the filthy neighborhood cats were all over it...maybe they were attracted to blue, for some reason. (If your cat is in YOUR house, then it's a pet. If your cat is at MY house, then it's a stray. But I digress.) So it became an endless loop of uncover, drive, clean, cover, repeat. TOTAL PIA!!! Everyone does realize that covering a car without cleaning it first is a death sentence for paint, right? Go rub on a dirty car with a dry towel and you get the idea. I used one of those dusters and they're a little better about scratching but not much, and still a PIA.

I became fed up watching a beautiful, fully-restored car basically rot in the sun and elements, so I bought the Vette a new home with garage. I was extremely blessed to have the means to do so. If I hadn't, I'd have ended up selling the car in frustration, so I get his point.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #69
8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
So it became an endless loop of uncover, drive, clean, cover, repeat.
There's yer problem right there. It should be drive, drive, drive and then maybe drive. Then wash, rinse and repeat.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #70
We Gone

I will most likely get flamed for this, but here it is If you don't have the $ to take care of a ZR-1 you should look for a lesser Corvette. I value my cars way to much to let them sit outside, this does not mean they don't get driven to work almost daily.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote