ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-05-2016   #71
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I was soooo close to making an offer on the Red 95 and am still thinking if it is not sold. It would be fun to do some modifications on a 95.
So....how do you like the 95 compared to a 91 or a 90?

I do know it is a lot of fun keeping the LT5 stock after a Plenum Removal to clean up Injectors, Starter, Vacuum System. The LT5s are soooooo reliable after fixing a few minor issues. One thing I do is thread and screw in an Allen Head Aluminum Plug in the Injector Housing TB Coolant path leaving the outside appear stock WITHOUT Hose Clamps on those TB Coolant hoses. And I add one HIDDEN Plug in the return of that TB Coolant to the coolant reservoir. And Carter Bling...........And Differential Drain Plug Installation.....And....Darn....here we go again but I still call them stock
Cliff,
You put me on the spot, but I'll bite. You know I tell it like it is and rarely care about being politically correct. Here is my experience having only owned a 90 and a 91. I LOVE the (or this) 95 and all the improvements made over the years. This car is a totally different car by ride and feel. Different strokes for different folks, but there is no way I'm going back to the early years. If I bought another, it would definitely be late model. Difficult to explain, but drive the 95 (a good one; not a thrashed one) and see if you feel the same. But it goes a little beyond as I was inspecting the various improvements over the years while tinkering, and I like the last year a LOT.

I meant your secrets about your windshield, but cool thoughts to consider....

1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #72
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Cliff,
You put me on the spot, but I'll bite. You know I tell it like it is and rarely care about being politically correct. Here is my experience having only owned a 90 and a 91. I LOVE the (or this) 95 and all the improvements made over the years. This car is a totally different car by ride and feel. Different strokes for different folks, but there is no way I'm going back to the early years. If I bought another, it would definitely be late model. Difficult to explain, but drive the 95 (a good one; not a thrashed one) and see if you feel the same. But it goes a little beyond as I was inspecting the various improvements over the years while tinkering, and I like the last year a LOT.

I meant your secrets about your windshield, but cool thoughts to consider....

I know your were talking windshield......and I definitely will try a windshield install myself. Am not positive about popping the old windshield out after all the molding is removed just yet. I do not want glass all over the inside

Thanks for the information on the 95 as I have not a clue never looked at one and never driven one. I do have a very nice 95 crate engine

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-05-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Dynomite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016   #73
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I know your were talking windshield......and I definitely will try a windshield install myself. Am not positive about popping the old windshield out after all the molding is removed just yet. I do not want glass all over the inside

Thanks for the information on the 95 as I have not a clue never looked at one and never driven one. I do have a very nice 95 crate engine
I hear you on that about the windshield. I'm going to leave mine to a pro. Best wishes on that 95. I wish I could have a crate motor, but no room and to too much moving around the world yet.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #74
Dynomite

Default Safelite Windshield Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Marc uses Safelite, and I followed his recommendation. But, I purchased my own rubber, and I ended up re-using the subframe OE; the ones they had provided were not correct (for some reason).

I went to their shop as they had a guy there familiar with the C4 windshield replacement. Took about an hour or so. and I'm very happy with the glass.
Safelite Just installed a Windshield and Weather stripping in a 1990 ZR-1 for $150. I furnished the Windshield and Weather Stripping

This is number 72 one of the first 1990s built.
I also have the last 1990 ZR-1 sold to public (#3032) and it has no windshield issues.

This is BEFORE and AFTER photos

Safelite did a Perfect Job

I got the Windshield and Weather Stripping from ZZZZZR1 (Dave) and have to say the Windshield is perfect in every way as is the Weather Stripping. Safelite was pleasantly surprised how good this Windshield Installation ended ....and they have done other Windshield Installations on Corvettes with Windshields and Weather Stripping they have provided themselves (This was the best they had seen).

Replacing the Windshield and Wiper Motor

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-13-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-06-2016   #75
Racinfan83

Just for future reference - what is the difference between the Safelite weatherstripping and what you bought? (other then you bought oem or similar)
Just curious if you HAVE to buy correct ZR-1 weatherstrip or if Safelite's will work without issues?
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #76
edram454

fyi... I had my windshield replaced after the car suffered an unfortunate accident at the repair shop it was at. I chose not to go with a expensive original glass so I went with a regular c4 windshield. The guy that installed it had worked for Charlie's auto glass here in South Florida, who is very well known down here, and he had done many c4 installations.

He brought his own weatherstripping and installed it flawlessly. My windshield has never looked better. I had no delamination on my original glass but it had 25 years of wear a a few tiny chips etc.. I was crushed at first but now I am delighted with the results. My windshield pieces came off the car looking excellent. For some reason there was discoloring or rust of any kind on any of the take off parts. I can see again like never before in this car. I am going to put clear uv tint on all windows to keep the car cool inside in the hot florida weather. This was all covered by my insurance company since it is a law here in Florida that they cover all windshield damages free of charge.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #77
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
Just for future reference - what is the difference between the Safelite weatherstripping and what you bought? (other then you bought oem or similar)
Just curious if you HAVE to buy correct ZR-1 weatherstrip or if Safelite's will work without issues?
Marc says the weather strip that goes from the top of the door to the other side top of the door is needed (I think Marc was talking about weather strip from the bottom of the windshield on each side up each side and across the top of the windshield being one piece). Safelite in most areas uses a Chinese weatherstrip which is grey, rather than black in color. The Weather Strip I furnished was perfect although it was a bit grey in color...that is all I know for sure

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-06-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2016   #78
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Ray View Post
Poor prep? It's a ZR1 ... the flagship American sports car!
Poor prep? I've got finger prints in the lamination sheets.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #79
Fully Vetted

So, here's my windshield story as of today. I have the glass and the WS (same source as Cliff). Safelite refuses to work on the car if it's pre '97. I think it's because they know the moldings are unavailable and don't want the liability of ruining mine. Either way, if they don't want to work on it then I don't want them working on it. So, I called Extreme Auto Glass Pros here in Dallas. Apparently, they do a lot of work for Richard Rawlings and Gas Monkey Garage so at least they're use to working on custom cars and builds. The best part is the installer actually owns a '90 ZR-1 and is well aware of the challenges of replacing the windshield. His words were, "They are not fun to do but I know how to do them." Because of the extra time involved they are going to charge me a little over $400. That's a lot of money considering I'm supplying all the parts. But, I was running out of options (Binswanger Glass also refused to work on the car. And they do a lot of classic cars) and if he truly knows what he's doing it's money well spent. He will be here tomorrow morning and has blocked off the entire morning for this install.

I'll update after the work is complete. Cross your fingers, say a prayer....do whatever you do. I need this to work.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover

Last edited by Fully Vetted; 05-26-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016   #80
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
if he truly knows what he's doing it's money well spent.

Yup. I agree, you don't want safelite working on it if they don't want to. I had them replace my windshield and the owner did the install since he was the expert. He warned me that if they messed up the molding, it couldn't be replaced. He did do a good job though and I'm happy with the new glass.

Good luck
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote