ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 08-06-2018   #81
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: FS: 1991 ZR-1 Blk/Red only 4800 miles!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Isn't the first time, probably won't be the last.

Sounds good to me!

We probably agree on more than we disagree on, this just happens to be the topic we end up discussing the most.

Quite likely, and you are right.
Have a good one!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #82
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Plastic straws and 3d printed guns...

Now THAT is good!!!!!!!!!!!!
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #83
TX '90 ZR1

Seems like we have totally hijacked the OP's thread. (I'm guilty too)
I guess at least we are keeping his thread top, front & center.
Maybe someone that is interested will see what looks to be a VERY nice car at a VERY reasonable price.
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #84
onethumb

Not to wade too deep into this one, but I thought I'd add my perspective to the energetic discussion because I am one of those people some of you here are saying don't exist.

The issue is not what younger people want to buy--I was a teenager when the original ZR-1 came out, and my wife even younger (and yes, she was the driving force behind our recent entry into the ZR-1 world--her dad's friend had one and she got to ride in it when she was little, and to this day has always wanted one).

Just like the era of the muscle car, collectors are often those who couldn't afford the car new but always wanted one, after growing up hanging pictures of them on our bedroom walls.

But here is the catch: unlike prior generations, ours graduated college under tough economic times, saddled with insane student loans, were faced with an overvalued-then crashing housing market, and overall had very little help from parents.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to attend good schools, worked hard to get valuable degrees, went to graduate/professional school to do the same, and it has paid off---we own a home in a nice area and have paid off $250k in student loans. So now, yes we can buy 3rd and 4th cars to have fun with.

But we are in a small minority. Most people my age struggled to buy a home and had to endure one heck of a ride when the market crashed. Some were wiped out. A lot have still not been able to buy a home yet.

Bottom line is that it is not a lack of interest in classic cars that drives the current market---the interest is there. It's the lack of resources. Same goes for housing---for over a decade we listened as "experts" told us that suburbs were dying, that millennials wanted to live in cities, and so on. But recent numbers suggest that millennials are now buying houses like crazy, as they start families. It has just all been delayed---marriage later, children later, etc. all because of a lack of resources.

Having said all that, things are changing. You can see this starting with the recent trends in the classic car market: the 80's cars of all makes are rising rapidly (80's TA's are going up leaps and bounds), and older trucks are making a huge comeback---Broncos, Jeeps, even 70's era pickups are gaining value fast.

90's cars are not on the radar yet. Be patient!

And yes, this is a GREAT looking car! GLWS!
Old 08-06-2018   #85
TX '90 ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post
Not to wade too deep into this one, but I thought I'd add my perspective to the energetic discussion because I am one of those people some of you here are saying don't exist.

The issue is not what younger people want to buy--I was a teenager when the original ZR-1 came out, and my wife even younger (and yes, she was the driving force behind our recent entry into the ZR-1 world--her dad's friend had one and she got to ride in it when she was little, and to this day has always wanted one).

Just like the era of the muscle car, collectors are often those who couldn't afford the car new but always wanted one, after growing up hanging pictures of them on our bedroom walls.

But here is the catch: unlike prior generations, ours graduated college under tough economic times, saddled with insane student loans, were faced with an overvalued-then crashing housing market, and overall had very little help from parents.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to attend good schools, worked hard to get valuable degrees, went to graduate/professional school to do the same, and it has paid off---we own a home in a nice area and have paid off $250k in student loans. So now, yes we can buy 3rd and 4th cars to have fun with.

But we are in a small minority. Most people my age struggled to buy a home and had to endure one heck of a ride when the market crashed. Some were wiped out. A lot have still not been able to buy a home yet.

Bottom line is that it is not a lack of interest in classic cars that drives the current market---the interest is there. It's the lack of resources. Same goes for housing---for over a decade we listened as "experts" told us that suburbs were dying, that millennials wanted to live in cities, and so on. But recent numbers suggest that millennials are now buying houses like crazy, as they start families. It has just all been delayed---marriage later, children later, etc. all because of a lack of resources.

Having said all that, things are changing. You can see this starting with the recent trends in the classic car market: the 80's cars of all makes are rising rapidly (80's TA's are going up leaps and bounds), and older trucks are making a huge comeback---Broncos, Jeeps, even 70's era pickups are gaining value fast.

Very insightful, and I think you are probably "spot on"!
1990 #442
TX '90 ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018   #86
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethumb View Post

I agree with some of this and disagree with other parts. I'm right on the border of being a millennial (35).

Yes, money is tighter than it was with my parents. I made good decisions and have very little school debt and a good career. Wife has a little school debt. I have friends that have piles of school debt. But they aren't interested in sports/classic/collectors cars regardless. Even my friends who are technically/mechanically inclined. If they were to buy a performance car, it would be new off a dealer lot, or a couple years old. And even the more technically oriented people don't have an indepth knowledge of the automotive industry or car specs, etc. They are much more utilitarian about their cars, and would rather only own one that does as much as possible well, vs. owning multiples that have specific purposes. (hence the popularity of the crossover SUV and 4 door pickups) They don't work on their own cars and only see them as an expensive utilitarian item that they will throw away and replace.

Using late 70s early 80s TAs as your support for the argument that these cars are becoming popular is a terrible example. They went from 20k cars to 120k cars overnight, then right back down to into the 20s/30s. And as asinine as it seems it was due to a couple television shows and media buzz. There were 3-4 that sold for well over 75k, two breaking 100k at Barrett Jackson.

"older trucks are making a huge comeback---Broncos, Jeeps, even 70's era pickups are gaining value fast."

Older broncos have been commanding premium prices for a decade.

You are right about Jeeps. CJ-3, CJ-5, and CJ-7s are on a steep rise. Oddly, they are just now catching up to Broncos despite always being relatively popular.

Older trucks have always had a broad market, but the only ones really on the rise are survivors. You can go to any major auto auction and buy a nice clean ford or chevy pickup that someone else spent 60k restoring/restomodding for 20-30k.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #87
dvburkley

C4 zr-1 corvettes are awesome cars. Finally at age 64 (yep, I was 16 in 1970, the apex of the musclecar era) we are able to get a really special car. So I bought a white/red '94 auto 117k LT1 C4 for 6 grand. Car had some issues: would have cost $$$ to make car right. I have the highest paying job of my life - OTR team driver w/wife. Still, i didn't want to wait until I could save 18 - 24 k to buy a c4 Z.
So dealer financing to the rescue: we traded the C4 LT1 for a Quicksilver Metalic '03 Z06 w/ headers, cam and cold air intake. Car makes 404rwhp at 6980 rpm. I still want a ZR-1. Preferably cool colors but available funding will pbly dictate that. The Lt5 Zr-1 will remain a collectable valuable car.
I bought the Z06 instead of a ZR-1 because I could get dealer financing AND because they would take my trade with several issues: A/C, cruise, CD player, 16 year old tires and headlight bushings out. I love your black/red Z. I'd put 600 to 900 miles a year on it and keep it under cover. GLWS awesome car!
Thanks, dvburkley
dvburkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #88
rossgn49u

By the way....the thread was started over 4 years ago.
94 ZR-1 Blk/Blk (Sold)
91 ZR-1 DRM/Tan (Sold)
90 ZR-1 Red/Red (Sold)
rossgn49u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #89
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossgn49u View Post
By the way....the thread was started over 4 years ago.
And?
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #90
dvburkley

It is an old thread, but it's one of the best reading discussions from really dedicated vetted guys. Besides, I don't think it ever said the guy sold his car. Who knows? As long as it sometimes takes to sell a vette, he might still have. Also, it's my first post on this forum and I got a cool car. Thanks for reading anyway.
Lopey cam (came in car)
Cold air intake
404rwhp @ 6980 rpm
dvburkley is offline   Reply With Quote