ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-05-2008   #1
Chris H

Default wiring schematic

does anyone have a wiring schematic for the entire bose audio system for a 1991 ZR1. Mine needs to be repaired and I really want the stereo this summer (been a problem for too long). Thanks in advance for any ideas or answers.
Chris
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: wiring schematic

How badly hacked is it?
Old 05-05-2008   #3
Chris H

when i got the car i turned the radio on and got no sound at all. the lcd display did however turn on. i removed the radio adn took it to a local audio shop. they tested it and said the unit was working ok, but the cd player was not working. i am thinking about replacing the whole system but first i want to explore options to keep it stock. this intial shop i took it to wanted $330 to fix the cd player. i thought this was very high. I wanted to pull all other components and have them tested(testing at this place is free) and see what if anything else is wrong. if its jsut the head ill probably fix it with one of the links ive seen posted on the forum. if its alot of the components then im going to think about changing the whole system to pioneed TSD speakers, alpine amp and an entry level alpine head. what are your thoughts jeff (and others)
thanks
Chris
Old 05-06-2008   #4
tccrab

Dr. Don's is the place to send it if you want it fixed right.
http://www.doctordons.com/

If you are an Audiophile and not a NCRS type, then rip out the 18 year old "Blows" and put in whatever floats your boat and your budget.
Be sure to save all the old stuff of course in case the next owner of your car is a NCRS kind of guy/gal.
DO NOT hack up the radio bezel, they are made of "Unobtanium".
You will pay $$$ if you fubar your original.

That being said, I've only turned on the Bose in my Z on one occasion.
Don't need it. There's a symphony playing right under the gas pedal.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008   #5
White Bullet

Agreed, Dr Don's is the place for repair. I sent my head unit and two amps in for repair ($300.00 for all of it). It was cheaper to repair then replace and I prefer the stock look. If you are into serious listening then replacement is in order and being creative is necessary as the spaces used by the stock speakers are not ideal especially in the front. Its just a matter depends on what you want.

As far as the aftermarket system it sounds good. I have found that using the stock locations with what will fit to be missing mid to low bass. So a subwoofer of some kind is needed to fill out the bottom end. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2008   #6
Jeffvette

Chris, does the tuner work, and you actual get sound out of the speakers?

If you are just looking for CD and everything else works, send it in to Dr. Dons. He has a quick turnaround time.

I've got Alpine gear in my 90. It sounds good, but doesn't really match the car. It can be done, but it's a pain. I also dropped in component speakers in the factory housings.
Old 05-06-2008   #7
Chris H

jeff,
head works (says the auto shop i took it too when i pulled it out) there is NO SOUND. cd player part of the head does not work. i do not know about the cdm box though. stock is fine with me if it reasonable to get fixed. i still need destructions on how to pull out all of the units though and id rather not pay for the intructions (say pay site on another thread for intructions) then me know what you think jeff and others. also want an opinion on the haibeck chip. is it worth it and is it reasonable for an amatuer mechanic to get to.
thanks
chris
Old 05-06-2008   #8
Jeffvette

Just for grins, have you tried a cassette tape to see if you get any audio.

Dr Don's has some removal instructions.

Rear speakers -
Remove screws from speaker covers
Remove 7mm bolts and remove speaker pod and unplug

Front Speakers -
Remove rear lower trim from door jam.
Remove screws holding door sill covers on (4 if I remember)
Pull door sill cover up starting in the back
Remove 7mm bolts holding pod in, unplug.

Stereo head unit -
Open center console, remove two 7mm screws holding shifter console down
In ashtray/drink holder remove one 7mm screw.
Pull up shifter console (don't worry about removing the shift knob to completely remove it)
Remove two screws holding center AC vent in place. Should be a T15 or T20
Remove center AC vent
Undo 7mm screw at the top of radio surround up where the ac vent was
Undo two 7mm screws at bottom of radio surround console (one at each end)
Then pull radio surround off (has a metal tang helping hold it in)
There are four 7mm screws holding the head unit in place, pull head unit out and unplug the connectors in the rear.

The tuner module is a nightmare. If you want instructions, I'll throw them up later.
Old 05-07-2008   #9
Chris H

i already pulled the head unit. I will pull the front and back enclosures today or tomorrow. Should I be sending this all to DR. dons or is there a way I myself can check to see what if any of the speaker/amps work. Also since I was told the head works just the CD player doesnt do i really need to send the cdm box to them (i think they suggest it if you send the head). Id rather not rip apart the car if I dont have to. and unfortunatly not jeff I did not check the cassette before I pulled it. One more thing jeff, on the front enclsures what do you mean for the fronts when you say pull back the trim. Do i need to pull the carpet back or am i missing the point. jsut wanted to check thanks a bunch for all the help
Old 05-07-2008   #10
Chris H

jeff i did a good deal of work today on the system. heres what i can tell you

I pulled out all the speaker/amp enclosures. Then i tested the power and groud of each of the 4 plugs. All 4 locations have good power and ground. I also checked the fuses assoicated with the radio (the fuse in teh auxillary box labeled RDO fuse 10amp, and the fuse in the top left of the main fuse block called CTSY fuse 15 amp. Both fuses were fine except the CTSY location had a 10amp fuse instead of a 15 amp like it should but it was still completing the circuit. I am going to change that tomorrow)
I plugged the head unit back in. The clock display shows. The radio turns on and the antenna goes up. I then precedded to plug back in all the enclosures and try to get sound. The front two speakers made no sound at all. The back two speakers made a humming noise that ocasionally randomly changed pitch. I also tried playing a cassette with no success. Turning up the volume control on the head made NO diference in sound at all. PLEASE HELP im out of ideas. What do i need to do next and also what size are the speakers in the car just out of curiosity.