ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-13-2023   #1
sevensixers

Default Transmission removal issues

I?m removing the transmission to do some clutch work. I?ve had the transmission out before and had no issues. This time, the transmission doesn?t want to come apart from the bell housing . I have all required bolts and things removed. Against my better judgment, I did a little prying with a screwdriver. I can move the transmission away from the bell housing, but it snaps back as soon as I remove the screwdriver. I can wiggle the transmission and I?ve tried various height settings with the transmission jack. Has anyone run into this issue before ? Thanks for any help !!!!
sevensixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023   #2
Jagdpanzer

Default Re: Transmission removal issues

Try pumping the clutch peddle a couple of times to see if that releases it.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023   #3
phrogs

Nope never had that issue and as you have done this job before without issue something Is going on behind that bellhousing It sounds like its getting hung up on the clutch.

Any chance you can have someone move that clutch for you as you try to remove the transmission?

Id put my bore scope up there and see what's going on but you may not have one

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023   #4
sevensixers

Ok guys, I got to the root of the issue with the transmission not separating from the bell housing. I had to get aggressive and cut an observation hole in the bottom of the bell housing. The issue ended up being the input shaft guide tube being mushroomed out at the end of the shaft. This would not let the throw out bearing come off of the guide tube. Very strange occurrence. I had to grind the flange on the throw out bearing until it would fit through the pressure plate opening. Now I have to find a new guide tube. I have an email into ZRDOC. Thanks for the input !,,,
Old 04-15-2023   #5
Mikey

ouch - how in the world did that happen?
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023   #6
A26B

After you replaced the clutch & flywheel with the Carolina Clutch kit. Did everything work as it should? No difficulty getting the clutch to release initially? No unusual sounds? No need to pull the transmission in with trans bolts the last little bit?

The damage you describe sounds like the guide tube made contact with the disc hub during the new Carolina Clutch Kit install.

You really need to check the stack height of the Carolina Clutch kit, BEFORE reinstalling the transmission with a new guide tube or you may be repeating the problem.

You said you were removing the trans to do some clutch work. What was the problem you were having that required more clutch work after installing the Carolina Clutch kit just a few months ago?
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 04-16-2023 at 01:24 PM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023   #7
sevensixers

That is the same conclusion that Bill from ZRDOC suggested. Going by what see now that I got everything out, I agree. I thought the clutch was extremely loud with the single mass flywheel. I was removing the single mass to go back to a dual mass setup. I can use my old dual mass flywheel and clutch setup now that I cleaned it up. It was on the car when I bought it and it was so rusted that things got stuck. Now that it is free and clean, it should work. It only has 43,000 miles on it.
Old 04-16-2023   #8
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevensixers View Post
That is the same conclusion that Bill from ZRDOC suggested. Going by what see now that I got everything out, I agree. I thought the clutch was extremely loud with the single mass flywheel. I was removing the single mass to go back to a dual mass setup. I can use my old dual mass flywheel and clutch setup now that I cleaned it up. It was on the car when I bought it and it was so rusted that things got stuck. Now that it is free and clean, it should work. It only has 43,000 miles on it.
You probably do not need a new guide tube. Just file or grind a bevel or round nose on yours and clean up any burrs on the inside.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote