ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-04-2012   #1
epaul77055

Default 1990 radiator fans

1990 #849 black/black--Houston,Tx- I have searched through previous posts, and looked through the solutions section and haven't found this problem discussed. About two weeks ago I went to start the zr-1 the battery was very, very low. (The battery is less than 6 months old-Auto zone black and yellow battery) Charged battery about 24 hours,battery took a full charge- car started like it normally does. As soon as the engine started both radiator fans came on (they do not come on when the key is on, only with the engine running. Went on a short drive (about 5 miles) hoping the fans would return to their normal state-they didn't. Checked for ccm codes (wire between A&g)no codes were displayed in the speedo area. I then checked the ac codes-none there.Checked the ecm codes (wire between A&B)Flashed 12 over and over. Pulled the connector and jumped the connector of the a/c high pressure switch fans still ran.I have disconnected the battery hoping something would reset- no help. Pulled the fuse for the ecm( I think) put it back in fans still run. Took one of the relays apart it was not stuck closed, no corrosion inside. Today I hooked up an Actron CP9145 no codes present. went to the view data section- I noticed a few thing I am not sure about the scanner says open loop,it had a section that said En freon--Yes was displayed to the right of that- not sure what that means. The one that stood out the most was oil temp it displayed 265- would that make the fans come on? (The oil was'nt hot the dash gauge had barely moved, car had been idling about two minutes) If anyone can offer any suggestions on what I should do next, they would be greatly appreciated. The car has about 63000 miles and has run perfectly the past 15 months. Thanks in advance epaul77055
epaul77055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #2
scottfab

Default Re: 1990 radiator fans

The coolant fans are operated by two separate relays
therefore I'd say they are being told to go on by the ECM.
When you pull either relay only one fans runs?

Are you absolutely sure BOTH are coming on?
And you say as soon as you start the engine?
The ECM uses three inputs for control.
VSS (speed)
Water temp
A/C High pressure side.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #3
epaul77055

Yeah, I am positive both fans are running, you can unplug the relay on either one and the fan stops. You can switch the relays and they do the same thing.Just looked at it again took it for a drive --Car runs well normal start,good idle,secondaries working- water temp ok, oil temp ok according to dash gauges. Connected scanner to check temps-scanner and gauges were very close.
Old 11-04-2012   #4
scottfab

I think you're going to have to do an investigation of the oil temp sensor and connector. The circuit description does not say the ECM looks at oil. It only says water but maybe that is incorrect
What does you data scanner say the water temp is?.

Last edited by scottfab; 11-05-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-05-2012   #5
gbrtng

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul77055 View Post
The one that stood out the most was oil temp it displayed 265- would that make the fans come on?
Look here first - my best guess is the oil temperature IS factored into the fan logic. Measure the resistance of the oil temp sensor - it's probably a dead short or close which would indicate high temperature.
Good luck ...
Old 11-05-2012   #6
scottfab

Easy enough to test the theory of oil temp.
Just pull the connector and see if the fans stop.

Old 11-28-2012   #7
epaul77055

Update: Finally figured it was the A/C requesting the fans. Replaced the A/C Fan pressure switch(the one on the small line closest to the firewall--Took less than 5 minutes) Fans are working properly. Thanks for everybody's input.
Old 11-29-2012   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Update: Finally figured it was the A/C requesting the fans. Replaced the A/C Fan pressure switch(the one on the small line closest to the firewall--Took less than 5 minutes) Fans are working properly. Thanks for everybody's input.
Good to know. Impressive set of troubleshooting skills you have there! Good yob mon!! Now...about that oil temp reading????

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017   #9
Livin' in the 80's

Quote:
I fogot the GM ac deal. Is there a shrader valve behind the switch?
:Eagle:[URL=http://s653.photobucket.com/user/craigwhite84/media/Kelly%20Boat/IMG_0468a_zpso50qvl1y.jpg.html][IMG]http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/craigwhite84/Kelly%20Boat/IMG_0468a_zpso50qvl1y.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

1990 ZR1 Black/Black #2317
Livin' in the 80's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017   #10
epaul77055

yes there is a Schrader valve-very little Freon was lost when putting on the new part. A very short hiss when taking old part off.