ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-06-2010   #1

Default Flowmaster Cat Back

Just put on a new Flowmaster cat back. Both pipes that run under the rear diff., rub against the bottom of the diff. [there is no open space].
I don't beleive this is normal. Anyone else seen this problem, and how to deal with it.?
Thinking about just dimpiling the tubes on top for a little bit of clearance. thanks
902066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #2
jonszr1

Default Re: Flowmaster Cat Back

try loosening the connections up fromt.just give a little tug down by the rear end . but you might want to loosen them all. start from up front and only tighten things when you got your clearences the way you want them . also i believe on the flowmater you are supposed to put the hanger mountings on the top not underneath like the factory set up. hope this helps
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
try loosening the connections up fromt.just give a little tug down by the rear end . but you might want to loosen them all. start from up front and only tighten things when you got your clearences the way you want them . also i believe on the flowmater you are supposed to put the hanger mountings on the top not underneath like the factory set up. hope this helps
I'll give the loosening and tugging down from the back a try. I'm pretty sure the hangers go on the bottom though. Thanks
Old 04-07-2010   #4
jonszr1

do you have the instructions from the flowmaster people on the install if their exhaust. from what i remember they said to put the springed hanger mounts on the top. that is why the pipes are sucked up on the rear end.try it you will find you have the clearence you need
Old 04-07-2010   #5

OK, since thats what you remember I'll try it. Thanks Jim
Old 04-07-2010   #6
Duff

I, just did the same install two weeks ago and had the same exact problem. The instuctions definately say to attach the spring hanger clips to the TOP of the tabs. The springs are still too tight though. Only my driver side was touching but the passenger side was very close.

If you look at the original exhaust, the tabs are actually bent up above the bottom off the pipe. The Flowmaster tabs are straight across the bottom. I bent the Y-pipe tabs up slightly and ended up with a little less than a 1/4 inch clearance.

By the way, they sound awsome and the tips look pretty stock. I painted them black like the originals and they look great. They fit the exhauxt notch perfectly.
Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #7

Thanks to jonszr1 and Duff. Both of you were right, and your suggestions got the exhaust adjusted correctly. 1/4 inch clearence under the diff. tips centered in the cutouts. Now hopefully everything will stay put just using clamps and I won't have to have the connections welded. Thanks
Old 04-07-2010   #8
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 902066 View Post
Thanks to jonszr1 and Duff. Both of you were right, and your suggestions got the exhaust adjusted correctly. 1/4 inch clearence under the diff. tips centered in the cutouts. Now hopefully everything will stay put just using clamps and I won't have to have the connections welded. Thanks
You're probably best off having a shop put a tiny spot weld on each joint, just to prevent vibration from loosening things up. It can be easily ground off if you need to disassemble the system at a later date.
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #9
Duff

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
You're probably best off having a shop put a tiny spot weld on each joint, just to prevent vibration from loosening things up. It can be easily ground off if you need to disassemble the system at a later date.

As an alternative, I put 1 small (1/8") stainless steel pop rivet in next to the clamps at the mufflers and at the back of the resonator. You can't see it and it locks everything in well. It can easily be drilled out later if need be.

Make sure you run the car a little so everything settles out before you weld or rivet. The tips will need a few adjustments. Once I got them set they stayed where I wanted them.
Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #10
jonszr1

glad things worked out for ya ,thats the nice thing about this site info flow freely