ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-11-2011   #1
XfireZ51

Default CCM swap. Does it matter for VIN?

Ok all. Thinking about swapping CCM from my Aqua car into the BR. Any reprecussions or consequences on that?
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: CCM swap. Does it matter for VIN?

There was a long thread over at CF about this, USAF Pilot's car (?) had a CCM go down. The only thing that stuck with me was it had to be reprogramed, but you already know that, within a specific time period upon start up(?).

I think there was also a model year backwards & forwards compatibility for swapping in kind of like the rules of thumb on the ECM swaps....I think.

I should have paid more attention, sorry Dom!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #3
limey

90,91,93,94,95 Will only work in there respective years, 92,93 will work for either as they are identical.

All CCM's are the same, either L98 - LT1 - LT5, so you can get a 1990 L98 and put in a 1990 LT5, the programm is the same .

Things that must match to start.

• VATS will be locked on any used CCM, the moment the ign key is turned on, the VATS is set. So, best to check the VATS and get the same KEY CODE.
  • MY Must be the same as noted above.
VIN has nothing to do with the car running or not.
Mileage will be set by whatever CCM you use.

You can send to us any of the CCM's you have and we can re-program it.

Good luck.
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011   #4
GOLDCYLON

A tech1A is what is needed with the EEPROM cartridge. This is a one time deal to the PROM and I have been told it can only be done once.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #5
XfireZ51

I'm not sure its worth all the hassle. I would like to have the mileage reflect the true mileage on the drivetrain from my Aqua car, BUT OTOH the mileage is usually associated with the Chassis or VIN. In either case, I have a CCM for sale.

BTW, Kurt, you had asked about the AC lines and they are in original shape. Thanks for your expertise.

Dominic
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #6
USAFPILOT

Assuming we are talking about the Body Control Module waaaay back behind the stereo. MIne got fried during an attempt to jump start it and the whole car went dead in the water. I couldn't pull codes off it or anything. I had no idea what happened, but after I got some help from a ZR-1 brother up in Atlanta (he posts as "We Gone") I got her fixed back up.

I had to stick a BCM from a 95LT1 into my 94ZR-1 to find out if my BCM was actually what was causing my issue. With it and the the interrogator hooked up my car cam back to like, albeit with less than a 1000miles. Very tempting, but I would have to ride around with the big machine in my passenger seat and a bunch of wires all over the place. Anyway, after that I knew to get my BCM fixed or get a new one. A new one wasn't available and I would have to wait months or years to see if a repro would surface. I called Gordon Killebrew (if thats how you spell his name) and he put me in touch with the guy in Atlanta that fixed mine. Everything worked out.

My understanding is they cannot be reprogrammed. Once they are flashed they are done. You can swap it over into another car, but the second car will now have all the info from the first car. It also wont start unless the vats is the same. You will need a vats interrogator to get anything out of the wrong BCM. The vats interrogator is a big machine that can simulate all the different chips in our keys.

If a dealer does the work you will also get a tag on your door stating the ODO isn't correct and the new CCM wills start at 0 miles. When mine went down I sent it to a guy that put in a new resistor or something and sent it back, so my mileage, vats info and whatever else is stored on it never left. It only cost me about 300 bucks vs the 3000 the dealer was going to charge me.

I will never jumpstart my car again.

Last edited by USAFPILOT; 01-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #7
A1990

Keep the CCM that came with the car. You'd be better off to keep the black rose car original. Sell your motor and upgrade the one in the black rose car. keep it numbers matching.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote