ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-04-2011   #11
secondchance

Default Re: Factory weatherstrip, where and who?

Limey,

I just ordered a factory A pillar weatherstrip, after seeing your post, through a local dealer in N. VA. It has arrived today. So, there still may be some factory pieces available.

My experience, and I had bough non factory piece before, A pillar, B pillar (halo) and targa sides should be factory piece. After market pieces first look like s**t, too hard and not slipery enough resulting in windows binding and not closing fully despite all sorts of adjustment.

As for the hatch, inside doors and around front wheel well, non-factory, as long as they look decent, should be fine. I am using non-factory hatch and door pieces and have no complaint.

If you need to check for factory piece availability call Dave at Koon Chevrolet Parts - 703 356 0400. Dave is an owner of 90 Z and very familiar w/ our Zs.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #12
Scrrem

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Limey,

I just ordered a factory A pillar weatherstrip, after seeing your post, through a local dealer in N. VA. It has arrived today. So, there still may be some factory pieces available.

My experience, and I had bough non factory piece before, A pillar, B pillar (halo) and targa sides should be factory piece. After market pieces first look like s**t, too hard and not slipery enough resulting in windows binding and not closing fully despite all sorts of adjustment.

As for the hatch, inside doors and around front wheel well, non-factory, as long as they look decent, should be fine. I am using non-factory hatch and door pieces and have no complaint.

If you need to check for factory piece availability call Dave at Koon Chevrolet Parts - 703 356 0400. Dave is an owner of 90 Z and very familiar w/ our Zs.
Yun,
I would have to agree, hatch is fine with non-OEM, but anything else OEM may be the way to go. I just had my windshield replaced last week and shop used non-OEM A-pillar gasket and it took some ajustment to get it to seal properly with the side windows. Will try to find an OEM A-pillar and may have it changed.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #13
ksphar

Latex is also available out there now, which is what the original weatherstrip pieces were made of. It had disappeared for a while due to it not being able to be manufactured in most countries. It is available again now though.

I just ordered a set in where i work (PM me for details, as we are not currently a supporting vendor, but might be soon). I can tell you it is much softer than the Corvette Rubber pieces. I have not tried it on a car yet, but may be installing it on my 92 fairly soon. I will let you guys know how it goes. Corvette Rubber is a great product. This just appears to be softer like the original.

Kevin
ksphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #14
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksphar View Post
Latex is also available out there now, which is what the original weatherstrip pieces were made of. It had disappeared for a while due to it not being able to be manufactured in most countries. It is available again now though.

I just ordered a set in where i work (PM me for details, as we are not currently a supporting vendor, but might be soon). I can tell you it is much softer than the Corvette Rubber pieces. I have not tried it on a car yet, but may be installing it on my 92 fairly soon. I will let you guys know how it goes. Corvette Rubber is a great product. This just appears to be softer like the original.

Kevin
Kevin,

You don't have to be a supporting vendor... Please post up a link and prices you have.

Love to hear about it for myself!

Sending you a PM

Thanks!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011   #15
ksphar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
Kevin,

You don't have to be a supporting vendor... Please post up a link and prices you have.

Love to hear about it for myself!

Sending you a PM

Thanks!

David
I just talked with David and I will be bringing some of this Latex style rubber to the Gathering in BG next week. I will bring a some of the Corvette Rubber pieces along so people can compare them.

I will also bring along a few other projects we just completed for you to look at. I will have a reproduction of the 91-96 center console door, some samples of the 84-90 body moldings, and whatever else I can dig up.

I will have links and pricing up here shortly for the weatherstripping. You can always call me at 800-757-5336 as well.

Thanks!
[IMG]http://keenparts.com/kevin/Keen%20Small%20Logo.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by ksphar; 05-04-2011 at 05:34 PM.
ksphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #16
tomtom72

Hey kevin, thanks for posting up about your products and thanks for bringing some samples to BG for us to see!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #17
FU

Bring it on Kevin. We like.

------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking on BG. I could use a weather strip that is on the removable top , drivers side. Where the D/S window meet's the top. My stock one is a little short....

don't go there boy's !

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #18
GOLDCYLON

My only advice on Weatherstripping on the ZR-1 C4 is the following.

1. Never buy the GM rear hatch replacement. Go with the Wilcox type that has reinforced corners. The original hatch strip is designed to fail at the corners. Just a fact of life by design.

2. The GM NOS stuff is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Its getting rather old. It may fit great but unless its seal wrapped dont buy it. I replaced my A pillar with NOS strips that was GM boxed but not GM Wrapped sealed (Blue paper). End result less than 4 months later it looked worse than the strips I replaced. End result $175 pissed away. The Side weatherstripping for the Targa were both sealed in the clear white GM sleeves and no problem since. The OEM strips will just dry out as well if not sealed. Remember that NOS strip your just bought might be from 1984!!!! And almost dust.

3. Always use Dyelectric grease after install to protect your seal. Yeah it will pickup a little grit for a little while but it is very important. MADVET.COM sell this by the tube for an ungodly amount. However its just dyelectric grease which you can pickup fairly cheap at the local autoparts store.

4. The 4 Pack of weather stripping tools that Madvet.com sells are very useful. They make the job easier and save time. You can use other tools but this is just my recomendation.

5. The 3m Weatherstrip adhesive and Remover are just required. Buy them

6. Your time spent in making sure your channel is clean and free of old sealer, Rubber and weatherstripping glue (I call it monkey snot) will pay off in the reinstall

7. Finally if doing the rear hatch for the first time. Have a large supply of paper towels and old T-shirts/cotton rags to clean out the weather stripping channel with the yellowish/white grease the factory used. A trash can right next to the rear of the car to dispose of the stuff as rapidly as possible is always advised.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 05-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #19
Scrrem

Good info!! Thanks Daryl!!
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011   #20
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
Good info!! Thanks Daryl!!
Rich

Glad to help Rich. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote