ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-12-2011   #31
rhipsher

Default Re: Discussing power upgrades options.

I've also been asked if I've ever been in Bob Halls 385? That it's got more HP than you'll ever need on the street. That in fact it's almost uncontrollable. I've laid eyes many times on his car at Coreys and talked to the old man many times. But last time I was there with him I asked him for a ride in it and he said it needed Corey to do a tune up pretty badly on it because he hadn't diven it in 5 years. Bob said he's done 11.1 at the drag strip consistantly on street tires. But that its capable of much more with drag radials. I've been told that a 385 is a better coice than a 415 because the 415's pistons are short and the extreme angle of the stroke it has to make put more strain on it. I don't know if its true or not.
Bob Halls LPE 385.

I just don't want an averge Z anymore. Thats all there is to it. I want to turn mine into something serious. I might be talking to you pete about head work soon. Sure I could probably do it myself but top end porting is where I draw the line for my own self made mods. Pete has far more expertise in this area than I'm willing to mess with.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #32
Kevin

i've never been in bob's 385 but i have seen it a few times. bad *** car
Old 07-12-2011   #33
rbidwell

Isn't Corey hooked up with the Raptor twin turbo build? If I remember right building the engine and the turbo kit was around $25,000.00.
rbidwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011   #34
rhipsher

I think Ron did most of the design work and fabrication but was having some issues and shipped it to Corey and Corey re did some of it and fixed it. Ron was at last octobers BBQ at Coreys. I asked Ron how much HP it made? If I remember he said 723hp. But I get the feeling there were problems with it. Haven't heard anything from Ron in a year. He was talking about hosting a Las Vegas ZR-1 gathering.
Old 09-16-2011   #35
wdo-mkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I've also been asked if I've ever been in Bob Halls 385? That it's got more HP than you'll ever need on the street. That in fact it's almost uncontrollable. I've laid eyes many times on his car at Coreys and talked to the old man many times. But last time I was there with him I asked him for a ride in it and he said it needed Corey to do a tune up pretty badly on it because he hadn't diven it in 5 years. Bob said he's done 11.1 at the drag strip consistantly on street tires. But that its capable of much more with drag radials. I've been told that a 385 is a better coice than a 415 because the 415's pistons are short and the extreme angle of the stroke it has to make put more strain on it. I don't know if its true or not.
Bob Halls LPE 385.

I just don't want an averge Z anymore. Thats all there is to it. I want to turn mine into something serious. I might be talking to you pete about head work soon. Sure I could probably do it myself but top end porting is where I draw the line for my own self made mods. Pete has far more expertise in this area than I'm willing to mess with.
I based my 415 built on Bob's 385 car as well as a couple other 415's that I drove over the past few years and a number of dyno sheets that I have access to. Bob's car was about 515-520 a the wheels and I have driven it a couple times. It's VERY strong for a 385cid stroker. If I were building one today I would consider the 385 or better yet a 402. You get all the benefit of the unshrouding of the valves and the displacement but not as much of an issue with the short sidewall on the piston and slightly better oil control with the 402/385 style pistons.

The extreme porting, lighter valves (titanium) and stage III cams has my 415 in the 575-585rhwp range on Corey's dyno @88-95 degree temps. I am sure it would post a little better numbers if the air temps were down. Its currently back in Corey's shop getting some oil catch cans added, along with more tuning and a new clutch. We toasted a spec 3 in about 2000 miles with the amount of torque its putting out right now. Upgrading to a Spec 3+ for now. Considering an auto perhaps for the future too.

I am shooting for 600 rear wheel hp and a solid 520-530 torque if we can get it with the new cam timing. I wanted to equal if not beat the performance of a new factory ZR-1.
We might pick up a set of different intake cams next. The plenum, injector housings and heads were originally done in d-port and then later maxed out. We ended up pulling fuel out with the larger injectors since the motor could not draw enough air at the time. Also saw some slight restriction up high so the heads, housings, and plenum were pulled again and maxed out and the port floor of the plenum dropped, the runners completely opened up and the housings knife edged with the center mostly removed. Lot's of aluminum was added to the injector housings to allow for changes in the shape. Corey used what we learned on the salt flat motor. Head flow is now in the high 340s-350cfm range with the new valves and extensive porting by a shop in San Antonio. My car started as stock, then a 368 from rippie, then a 385, then a 368 again, and when I got it we converted it to a 415. Since then the top end has been off of it three additional times. Lots of work by a number of very talented people along the way.

BTW oversize valves 1-2mm don't seem to make much difference folks. JMHO and empty wallet talking here.

Last edited by wdo-mkr; 09-16-2011 at 04:56 PM.
wdo-mkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #36
Kevin

I've seen bobs car a few times in BG and once in his garage, hell of a guy to talk to. Car used to belong to SW, which is why it probably runs a bit better then most 385's
Old 09-16-2011   #37
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I've seen bobs car a few times in BG and once in his garage, hell of a guy to talk to. Car used to belong to SW, which is why it probably runs a bit better then most 385's
Hahaha! It sounds like everything used to belong to SW. Bobs 385. Sanjays 1000rwhp Lambo. SW is very well known down here in Houston by quite a few performance shops.
Speaking of the good Doctors Lambo! I was texting him one day and he said men oh man! You really need to come over and get a ride in this thing. Said it would ruin my life. When I set up a beer and pizza night once a month here in Houston like the FBI then I'm sure I'll get a ride. Theres bad. And then there's super bad. Its super bad.

Old 09-16-2011   #38
HAWAIIZR-1

All this talk about Corey is seriously making me lean towards a decision to relocate to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX after this tour in Japan so I can be close to his shop. I won't ever be able to afford to build anything more than my 350, but I know that he can tune it right and I am not going to be able to get the potential out of this motor I built without the right tuning.

Mail order tuning is just not working.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #39
mgbrv8

I saw that lambo at the Texas mile once.

Dave
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #40
USAFPILOT

why put all that work into the baby lambo?
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote