Old 04-19-2012   #312
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Update on my hi-miler Z project

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Hmm, guess I should go find my phone... didn't hear it ring

Thanks Andrew. will hit you up NLT Saturday. Thanks for the chat. D
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012   #313
VetteMed

So, my headliner project failed today. Apparently the adhesive was inadequate for holding up the relatively heavy material once the temps hit 90 degrees or so. I imagine it would have been fine for the usual foam/fabric material, but the vinyl was significantly heavier. A stronger adhesive might be what's needed, but I think I'll just go with standard headliner material at this time.

I'll update the prior posts about this issue so that nobody follows my previous suggestions
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #314
4-cam

I did my headliner last year. A fabric store here in Denver carry's the headliner material along with Special High temp Glue made specifically for headliners. I think Mid America also makes a kit to do this.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #315
VetteMed

$15 for a yard of black headliner fabric from Jo-Ann, and I'm back in business!

The correct headliner material is much more "forgiving" than the vinyl was. The key here, is to cut the fabric about a half inch larger in all directions, to allow for proper coverage. The excess can be folded over and pushed under the frame using a plastic bondo spreader, as shown below:

Looks like OEM!
Old 06-05-2012   #316
VetteMed

Lost a secondary cooling fan motor, which took out a fusible link as it drew too much current. See post here:

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....633#post142633
Old 06-06-2012   #317
4-cam

Nice job!
Jo-Ann is the place I got mine from also. Never thought I would be shopping at a fabric store on a Saturday but they have a great selection of upholstery material. My wife was wondering if it was a fraudulent charge on my credit card.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #318
VetteMed

So, the performance of my A/C has been mediocre, since the temps are consistently at 90+ here in FL.

At best, I get 58-59 degree temps from my vents, given 85-90 degrees ambient temp, this is on recirc, and after at least a 20 minute drive. Even on longer drives, I haven't seen much lower than that.

Today in my driveway, I connected my gauges.

With a garden hose spraying the condenser, the low side will get down to the 28 psi range. Without the hose, the lowest was about 37. It's about 90-92 degrees ambient plus heat emanating from the engine compartment at idle.

I didn't focus too closely on the high side -- but without the hose it was 250+, with the hose I think it was around 175 or so.

A thermometer placed into the blower box, where the resistor module is located, yields 42 degrees as the lowest observed temperature.

Looks like there's a problem outside of the refrigerant plumbing, if there's 42 degree air coming off the evap but 58 degrees at the interior vents. Something not adding up here.

I did not want to add or remove any refrigerant, since it seems like 42 degrees from the evap is pretty good.

The door that blocks off the heater core appears to be functioning properly, looks sealed to my eyes at least.

Using the C68 display, parameter 34 shows that at 60 degrees selected, plus recirc, the requested temperature door position is 253 (full closed). However, parameter 31, which shows the temperature door travel range, shows 184, when in fact 200 is apparently full-closed, so it looks like for whatever reason the control head is reporting that the temperature blend door is actually NOT in the full-closed position. Hmm.

Also, another interesting thing, is that parameter 1, which is the temp setting (shows 60-90 range in the chart, just like the selectable temps), shows 64 when in fact I've got it set to 60.

Now I'm more confused than before.

Also, after I shut off the A/C via the control head, and the pressures equalize, the compressor clutch didn't fully disengage - the center of the pulley was still rotating at about one revolution every 3 seconds. I can't say I've ever noticed this before. I'm guessing it's just due to pressure equalization in the compressor, and not related to the problem.

I verified that the temp blend door is definitely going to full-closed when 60 degrees is selected. The door closes against its stop, then gives one more clunk as if to indicate that the actuator hit its internal stop.

Interesting observation:

I removed the blower motor, to verify that the recirc door is indeed closing completely - it appears to be. By removing the blower motor, I can see the aft edge of the evaporator core. Interestingly, there's about a 1cm gap between the end of the core, and the firewall. Seems like this would lead to air bypassing the core and making its way into the ductwork. My measured temp in the blower box was taken further forward, where air was going through the core rather than around it.

I sealed the gap between the evap core and the firewall, using a combination of foam strips and butyl rubber seam sealer. Also sealed a smaller (3mm) gap at the forward edge of the evap core where it meets the blower box housing. This IS an aftermarket evap core, and I didn't have the original to compare dimensions to, so it's likely that it's either smaller than it should be, OR the original had foam strips to make up the difference.

Anyway, I put it all back together, and with no other changes, this made an 8-9 degree difference. I saw a low of 49 degrees at the center vent, with all other vents blocked, 89 degrees ambient temp, sitting in driveway with hose on condenser and engine at 2000 rpm.

Test drive update: 43 degrees with ambient temp of 84! I'm thrilled!

Pics of evaporator gap:

As seen from blower motor housing:

As seen from blower resistor access panel:

In summary, if anyone else ever has to replace an evap core, take special care to note if there's a gap that will allow air to flow around the core rather than through it.

Last edited by VetteMed; 07-07-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2012   #319
cvette98pacecar

250+ head pressure is excessively high.
Converting discharge pressure to SCT (Saturated condensing temperature) to ambient.
R12= 168.4df or equivalent ambient temperature of 138.4df.
R134=146.3df or equivalent ambient temperature of 116.3df.

I just recharged my Riviera as I had to replace a seal, after pulling a vaccum and putting in an exact charge my DA temperature was 56df at 95df ambient. Once the interior of the car got colder the discharge air temperature dropped.
Suction pressure 42.4, Head Pressure 191.6.

Tomorrow I will test both of the Z's and get some recordings, maybe that will help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012   #320
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cam View Post
I did my headliner last year. A fabric store here in Denver carry's the headliner material along with Special High temp Glue made specifically for headliners. I think Mid America also makes a kit to do this.
i have two headliners that need done