ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-09-2012   #1
Don in VT

Default Changes noted in my Flywheel R & R

Today we the replaced the FW on or 90 ZR. The job went text book and we did it in about 3 and 1/2 hours. We matched the FW trim weights (needed 2 ) to the NOS FW and made sure everything was OK. We compared the old to the new and found an interesting thing. The old OEM FW seemed to be OK on the rotational relationship with the companion half but the old FW rocked and seemed loose on the companion piece. I was able to rock the friction surface of the DMFW about 1/16" (0.063) from side to side. The NOS FW did not exibit any rocking at all. The rotational relationship was about the same for both FW
at about 1/4".

The bottom line is that the knocking noise is gone and the clutch seem a lot smoother. As soon as I fix the HVAC problem and replace the cluged up exhaust system with a Borla cat back we are ready for some seat time.

Cheers,

Don in VT

Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012   #2
Don in VT

Default Re: Changes noted in my Flywheel R & R

Hi Cliff,

No noticeable vibration at 6K rpm.

I am sorry that I didn't count the holes but I think there were about 24. Using some valuable information from Mark H. I made my own balance weights. I used cold rolled steel rod 0.252 in OD. I cut them off at 0.500 in long. These small dowels weigh exactly 3 grams. Mark H. was kind enough to provide me with the length and weight of the OEM weights. I put them in the appropriate holes and staked them into the FW. No issues at all and again the motor revs great with no observed vibration. I have not tried the nickel test yet but I will tomorrow just for fun. I was unable to take photos as my digital camera is not working and my Droid takes horrible pix.

Take care Cliff,

Cheers,

Don

Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote