ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-18-2012   #21
tccrab

Default Re: 4-7 firing issue; posting for a member

Ran into a problem similar to this a few years ago.
The short story is, in testing fuel injectors I had stuck my Volt Meter probe into the female sockets of the ECM plug and in doing this I had stretched out the connectors such that they didn't make good contact with the male ECM pins any more.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10828

Maybe, just maybe, somewhere along the way somebody did something similar to your ECM plug.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #22
GOLDCYLON

Secondary driver modules is another place to check since she is a 91?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 12-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #23
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 91 View Post
I loved driving this car when it ran well, but this issue has been very frustrating. Mainly because I don't have the expertise to figure it out on my own and I've taken the car to local shops relying on their know-how or lack thereof.

I'm going to try another repair shop here locally and see if I can get someone to work with me through this issue. I’ll pass along your collective thoughts. And if anyone has any ideas on local places to use, please let me know. Like I said above, I just don’t have the expertise and haven't found a consistently good technician since moving to Colorado several years ago.

This has been very frustrating, as I'm sure you can imagine. Thanks for the ideas and support here.

Jason
Jason call Rod DeWild in Denver 720-284-4965 he has the expertese to help you, before moving on to LS7's he had SEVERAL 4 cam twin timing chain LT5 / ZR1 motors including a 427 cu in version running an automatic.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #24
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
....snip....
I take it there is no spark at all on 4 or 7 ?
If you have spark..... yes pursue the fuel angle.
Maybe your authorized cheby dealer put the wrong injectors in?
Or otherwise did not get the connectors on right on the injectors?
Time to get dirty my friend.
Or find a friend that works the tools for you.

Bottom line is you have a ZR-1 that is ill and we want it
back on the road healthy.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #25
tomtom72

I know that this is off the wall....but after an injector r&r on Jim's car, I may be wrong on who owned the car, a miss developed. It got tracked down to a pinched wire in the injector harness. I think it got pinched between the I/H and the plenum upon reassembly.......just thought I'd toss that out there.

Mr. DeWild also said the same thing about our DIS modules when I bought a spare from his stock pile of LT5 parts.....just a fwiw.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012   #26
XfireZ51

scottfab,

I emailed a friend, whom I respect a great deal, about the DIS module.
Here is his response regarding the dead short coil

"Dominic,

The shorted coil will put a large load on the driver. Even current limited, with the coil shorted it won't take any of the load. The entire load will be in the driver which will cause it to heat up excessively."

So you were correct with your assessment although I'd still consider the likelihood to be negligible.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012   #27
Pete

Quote:
First off, I would like to thank LGAFF for posting this up based on our conversation Saturday night. I'm the member who is having the issue and I appreciate the conversation and ideas on this.

I loved driving this car when it ran well, but this issue has been very frustrating. Mainly because I don't have the expertise to figure it out on my own and I've taken the car to local shops relying on their know-how or lack thereof.

This started awhile back when a couple of the injectors were marginal and it was suggested that I replace them which I did. The car actually ran worse after the injector change so the coil packs and spark plugs were changed at my request, but this didn't make a difference. I finally picked up the car from the guy who couldn't pinpoint the real issue.

The car was due for an emissions test and I took it in. It failed, of course, and I should have known it would have.

From here, I took it to a local Chevy dealership north of Denver which prides itself on Corvette sales and service. They quickly diagnosed it as a bad ignition module and said that they double checked everything because these can't be found.

I called Kurt at White Racing who suspected that this wasn't my issue and was thinking it was a bad ECM. So he shipped the ECM and this didn't fix the issue. He sent me the ignition module which didn't solve the issue either. Kurt accepted returns on both of these items, as a note.

When I went to pick up the car, I talked to the technician and service advisor who assured me that they checked everything possible that they could think of twice. At this point, the dealership made it clear to me that I needed to pick up my car and pay for the bill since they had my car now for over one month (due to back and forth trying new parts and locating an ignition module) and there was nothing more they could do for me until I found a good ignition module. In fairness, I'm sure that this is a standard practice given the time they had the car, but it simply added to the frustration.

I called and requested an emissions waiver on the car given what I had spent to try to get it running right and the ignition module availability. I was denied and told that this car is common and there are parts everywhere. It was even asked of me if I had tried AutoZone.

I'm going to try another repair shop here locally and see if I can get someone to work with me through this issue. I’ll pass along your collective thoughts. And if anyone has any ideas on local places to use, please let me know. Like I said above, I just don’t have the expertise and haven't found a consistently good technician since moving to Colorado several years ago.

This has been very frustrating, as I'm sure you can imagine. Thanks for the ideas and support here.

Jason

Jason,since you tried IM and ECM with no luck then i have 2 questions

Where/who's injectors did you buy/install?
I have found a few stock new injectors that were bad.
The pinched wire is also very doable.

What coils did you buy/install?
There were issues with some performance aftermarket coils.

I know it's frustrating but trust me it's something silly.
Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 12-19-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012   #28
Jason 91

I thought that the injectors were RCs, but they actually came from Fuel Injector Connection. The coils are factory and were bought from the dealership.

#4 and #7 have no spark for certain. I was reading further through the FSM tonight (Chart C-4) and it seems like the diagnostic flow goes quickly to a faulty ignition module. I’m a novice (at best), but I can see where if someone wasn’t thorough they might jump to this faulty ignition module conclusion.
Thanks for the ideas you guys are providing here. There’s a lot to be looking for that could be simple and I really hope it is at this point.
Jason
Old 12-20-2012   #29
Jason 91

Tyler, I also meant to mention that I reached out to Rod DeWild today and left him a message.

LGAFF, you mentioned this guy as well Saturday when we talked. I was thinking of someone else when I mentioned that I thought I knew him.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 12-20-2012   #30
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
I thought that the injectors were RCs, but they actually came from Fuel Injector Connection. The coils are factory and were bought from the dealership.

#4 and #7 have no spark for certain. I was reading further through the FSM tonight (Chart C-4) and it seems like the diagnostic flow goes quickly to a faulty ignition module. I’m a novice (at best), but I can see where if someone wasn’t thorough they might jump to this faulty ignition module conclusion.
Thanks for the ideas you guys are providing here. There’s a lot to be looking for that could be simple and I really hope it is at this point.
Jason
Are the injectors yellow / orange? If so they are FIC's rebuilt injectors and you should test to see if they work. (rebuilt ones are known to fail too)

You should be able to see the injectors without pulling the plenum.

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote