ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-12-2013   #1
Racinfan83

Default Seat Questions

I took my drivers seat out today to fix a couple things. The side bolsters wouldn't move, and of course the lumbar pump didn't work. Got the side bolsters to work (I think it was a loose wire to the switch - works now). I did this fix http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4659 on the lumbar pump and got it to run and put some air out the tubes when I hooked it up off the car. Got everything back together and the pump runs like a champ. Only problem is that I ran it for probably 30 seconds or so and couldn't feel any inflation on any of the 3 bladders? How long is it supposed to take before you feel the bladders inflating? And I have no idea how much pressure is supposed to come outta that pump - you could feel air coming out? The hoses and all that I could see without removing the actual seat cover from the foam looked good. Pliable and connections were tight...

And the wife wanted me to ask if there was a way to add cushion to the seats? Other then the obvious one which would be to put one IN the seat..???
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #2
efnfast

Default Re: Seat Questions

Mine pump up pretty quickly. 10-15 seconds. 23 years old, could be dry rotted lines or blown bladders.

Other than that obvious answer about putting more padding in the seat......
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #3
PhillipsLT5

bladder leaking?
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #4
Racinfan83

I don't know. Not sure how I would tell either without disassembling the entire seat from the foam.... Was hoping I could get the pump running and all would be good. Not my luck.....
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 08-14-2013   #5
ghlkal

Racinfan, if the pump works then I would suspect there are tears in the bladders which is also common. Unfortunately, you'll have to dig into the seats to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
And the wife wanted me to ask if there was a way to add cushion to the seats? Other then the obvious one which would be to put one IN the seat..???
I have my seat out right now and I'm going to throw a piece of "memory foam" under the seat and see if it helps anything.

I'll let you know.
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #6
Franke

Racinfan83,
When I had my seats redone with new foams and covers the upolstery guy swore at them for having the lumbar support bladders in the foam. Seems they are a PITA to work with. However after the work was done they are working great and feel good too. Quote from the upolstery guy " now I remember why I hate redoing these sport seats"
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #7
FU

Seat Mod's

Remove lower portion of seat by releasing the 2 spring clamp's under the front of seat. Lift up seat bottom and disconnect air tubes etc. Check and feel that the trapeze strap's still have spring left to them. I replace the trapeze strap's and cover the sharp wire's with small diameter tubing. Go out and get some heavy duty juke padding and lay it on top of the trapeze etc.. Then reinstall seat bottom and secure the clips.
It's easy as heck and fast to do. The trapeze as they are called can be had from Mid-America or Eckler's.......and they are 2 for each @ 70 buck's for 2 seats. Everything else is cheap and easily found locally.
You and your wife's bun's will love the mod. Mine did !

seat trapeze: http://www.corvettemods.com/product....FY2Z4AodBX4A1w

Any question's PM me with your number.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237

Last edited by FU; 08-14-2013 at 02:31 PM.
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013   #8
Racinfan83

I took the entire seat out to do the pump fix - it's actually really simple to get out. The "trapeze" things on mine seem to be in really good shape (car only has 18k miles on it) I haven't taken out the passenger side yet - still trying to figure out the drivers side...
I talked with one of the Mechanics at work - he suggested I try airing up the bladders with an air compressor at like 2 psi, or using one of the 12 volt compressors you fill air beds with - just to see if the bladders/hoses hold air. I think I will try that when I get some time - just to see if maybe the pump fixed with the dish glove diaphragm isn't putting out enough..
What is that "juke" padding you mentioned?? Like memory foam or not? May have to try that but wondering exactly what it is...

Quote:
I have my seat out right now and I'm going to throw a piece of "memory foam" under the seat and see if it helps anything.

I'll let you know.
Yes - please do!
Old 08-14-2013   #9
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
The trapeze as they are called can be had from Mid-America or Eckler's.......and they are 2 for each @ 70 buck's for 2 seats.
Should there be two trapeze straps per seat or 4? There are 2 trapeze straps under my driver seat, but there are two more sets of "clips" for them on the seat bottom.

Just wondering.
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #10
FU

Google juke padding, there are lot's of choice's there. Just don't get one that is too thick or you'll have a tough time putting the seat bottom clip's back on.

Only 2 trapeze strap's on the seat's that I have seen. Make sure they still have spring left in them. While your in there protect the seat foam. t\To avoid the metal wire's etc. from digging into the foam. Turn the seat bottom upside down and you will see what I'm trying to say.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote