ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-16-2014   #11
WVZR-1

Default Re: 90 zr1 power steering lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomZR1 View Post
Ok got my rack & pinion getting it installed tomorrow ,figered I can replace power steering line since its there only problem can't find one tried napa,orielys,every local auto parts in my area and nothing,called corvette central and they said 2 weeks holy crap,so going to try some places that make hoses.any one know where I can get one by tomorrow (ya wright)
Gates has a direct interchange for the '90 - '91 pressure hose and their application catalog seems to agree. I'd use the Gates store locator and try to limit your calls. Gates also does the steering rack kit that's quite complete.

Plews/Edelmann and Omega also show interchanges as well as NAPA, I would have thought most of the calls you made yesterday could have offered "next day" service but of course it would have depended on "time of day" likely.

Curious - where did you source your steering rack?
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #12
WVZR-1

Default Re: Making Your Own Power Steering lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Let me check something...OK.....this is not going to help you immediately....I just took a look and cannot see the fittings going into the Power Steering Unit. But.......I would say if it happens to me I will make my own SS Braided Power Steering Lines.

I have never had one of these hydraulic lines with Aeroquip Reusable Fittings leak and they are much much tougher than original crimped fittings and easily replaced or adjusted if you want to at some point make them longer or shorter (the fittings are reusable). And......you will find a much better routing of the lines if you make them yourself by looking at the routing of the existing Power Steering Lines. The Aeroquip Reusable Fittings come in all sizes and angles to fit any situation. You can make your own oil cooler lines as shown here and Power Steering Lines or any other hydraulic line you might need on the ZR-1.
I believe the 16mm and 18mm Saginaw sealing system fittings might prove "challenging" for the fabrication.
Old 01-16-2014   #13
Dynomite

Default Sources of Fittings for Making Your Own Power Steering lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe the 16mm and 18mm Saginaw sealing system fittings might prove "challenging" for the fabrication.
Hydratechbraking

o Rebuildable / re-usable genuine Aeroquip hose ends (no crimping required)
o For use with '80 and newer 18mm / 16mm O-ring style brake assist units
o For use with O-ring and / or flare style Saginaw full size or mini PS pumps

Power Steering Adapters

Hosewarehouse Racing Hose Fittings

And my favorite for SS Braided Hose and Aeroquip Fittings.......
Summit Racing

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-16-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #14
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Hydratechbraking

o Rebuildable / re-usable genuine Aeroquip hose ends (no crimping required)
o For use with '80 and newer 18mm / 16mm O-ring style brake assist units
o For use with O-ring and / or flare style Saginaw full size or mini PS pumps

Power Steering Adapters
I seriously "doubt" there's adequate clearance available to start a "concoction" of adapters to fulfill a task that can likely be performed adequately with an "off the shelf" purchase of an OE type hose. That was "quite a reach" in an attempt but I'd think it would prove a waste of materials - take a look at both the exit at the pump and the inlet at the steering rack and "try again". I'm quite familiar with Saginaw to -AN adapters. That had nothing to do with my original comment as to it being "challenging"!

Now could you salvage the tubing, use hose and crimps to replace just the hose - that could be very "doable" and I've done that to replace obsolete AC fittings - the PS system at probably 850 - 1000 PSI or so and nearly 3 GPH I don't know that I'd want to attempt that.
Old 01-16-2014   #15
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I seriously "doubt" there's adequate clearance available to start a "concoction" of adapters to fulfill a task that can likely be performed adequately with an "off the shelf" purchase of an OE type hose. That was "quite a reach" in an attempt but I'd think it would prove a waste of materials - take a look at both the exit at the pump and the inlet at the steering rack and "try again". I'm quite familiar with Saginaw to -AN adapters. That had nothing to do with my original comment as to it being "challenging"!

Now could you salvage the tubing, use hose and crimps to replace just the hose - that could be very "doable" and I've done that to replace obsolete AC fittings - the PS system at probably 850 - 1000 PSI or so and nearly 3 GPH I don't know that I'd want to attempt that.
Oh.....OK.....you mentioned 18mm Saginaw sealing system fittings might prove "challenging" for the fabrication so I thought it was a fittings issue for you.

"concoction" "quick reach" and "try again"
You remind me of someone else and the words he uses all the time "kludge" "ripping" ..............

All those terms seem negative to me...

My Guru (an absolute ZR-1 expert and Daryll knows him also as the guy who got me started in this Hobby)......just sent me this bit of information.............I am still going to experiment.....

I was focused on what I could see above the Steering Rack......and NOT the pump connections.

There is a specific kink in the pressure hose to allow it to fit behind the pump. Most places that build hoses can not replicate it due to where it is. And there is no fitting a aeroquip line due to the space constraints because you would have to use an adapter.

Autozone sells and will deliver a hose.

Part number 71778

Power Steering Pressure Line Hose

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-17-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #16
TomZR1

Thanks for all the info,got one from auto zone had to order it will be here Friday .rack & pinion got from vette products here in lake Orion Michigan,thanks again guys
TomZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #17
WVZR-1

Quote:
Thanks for all the info,got one from auto zone had to order it will be here Friday .rack & pinion got from vette products here in lake Orion Michigan,thanks again guys
If you've NOT surrendered your rack for the core yet I would hold it for 90 days or so to confirm you're happy with the rack that you've received and that you've no issues. Your issues with the one you removed were leaks from where? A complete seal package for a rack is not particularly expensive and unless the rack would require a sleeve internally the repair is pretty straight forward.

The A-zone replacement hose is pretty inexpensive - almost scary "cheap". It might be interesting to see whose packaging it arrives in. The part number indicates it's likely Plews/Edelmann but I see that maybe Plews has purchased Omega which would have been a different part number.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-17-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2014   #18
TomZR1

it was leaking in the middle almost looks like a big rivot or stamp towards bottom guy says cant fix it need new one.
Old 01-18-2014   #19
Schrade

Quote:
Well I just found out it wasnt my power steering lines, its my rack and pinion. Im looking on eckler's corvette site and it was around $225.00 and to rebuild one it will cost 350.00 so I will buy a new one. Does anyone know where I can get a rack and pinion for cheaper than 225.00?
Also how does a rack and pinion go bad at 80k miles? Just my luck, the joys of owning a sports car
Quote:
Ok got my rack & pinion getting it installed tomorrow ,figered I can replace power steering line since its there only problem can't find one tried napa,orielys,every local auto parts in my area and nothing,called corvette central and they said 2 weeks holy crap,so going to try some places that make hoses.any one know where I can get one by tomorrow (ya wright)
OK - if it's NOT your power steering lines, AND YOU CAN'T FIND ONE, THEN WHY REPLACE THEM???

TomZR1 - you're not making much sense here.

How did the R&P install go yesterday?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014   #20
TomZR1

Rack and pinion install went real good the reason why replace the power steering lines is because they said it was sweating whatever that means, and found the line at AutoZone got it the next day