ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-23-2014   #1
TCurtner

Default Accusump Connection

Does anyone have experience as to where to connect an accusump system - a sandwich fitting at the oil filter, or is there an oil passage readily available around the oil filter body or elsewhere? Does anyone know the oil filter specs - thread size for spin on, gasket diameter, et.al. ? This is the 'other' problem - not cooling - that we run into in road racing....
Old 01-24-2014   #2
alnukem

Default Re: Accusump Connection

Actually, this might really be good for a lot of guys here, me included, people that leave their cars sit over winter. This allows "pre-oiling" your engine before spring start up.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #3
Dynomite

Default Dual Oil Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Speaking of oil pressure at start up, anyone
ever use an Accusump?
Where would you plumb it in?
Where would you put the sump/accumulator?
I would plumb the Accusump into the oil filter adapter (Oil Cooler Lines) See Item #3, #4 and #5 Engine Oil Pressure/Oil Cooler/Temperature Sensors

The Top Oil Cooler Line going to the Oil Cooler comes directly from the Oil Pump. I would T into that line as that line is open to the oil filter directly through the Oil Temperature Control Valve Spool in the Oil Filter Adapter.

See LT5 Pressure Drop In Oil Lines Calculations

I was working on a Billet Aluminum Remote Oil Filter Adapter a while back and had it sized to fit under passenger side headlight (I think I was relocating the coolant overflow). The Design was for Dual Oil Filters. I was working on a System that would NOT Drain Back but still easy to change filters without a mess. All the drilling sizes are specified for Tapping once received for male pipe and straight "O" ring fitting adapters.

That Remote Oil Filter Adapter I Designed fit in place of the present Oil Filter. Had SS Braided Oil Lines going down to the Billet Aluminum Remote Dual Oil Filter Housing Adapter. Now that I think of it......I think I left the Coolant Overflow in place and positioned the Remote Oil Filter Housing Adapter where my Secondary Pump was previously located (Since Removed).........Or......moved existing Coolant Overflow Tank where Vacuum Pump was located and positioned Billet Dual Oil Filter Housing Adapter in place of Coolant Overflow Tank.

Oil Filter Adapter fits on existing Oil Filter Housing

Dual Oil Filter Housing Adapter fits in area under Passenger Headlight

Specifications for LT5 Oil Filter Adapter
All Cuts and Drills are from the original surface of the Billet and located on the longitudinal centerline of the Billet. The Billet (aluminum) for the Adapter is 3.75 inches outside diameter and 4 inches long. The Front, Right, Back, and Left surfaces are at 0 deg, 90 deg, 180 deg, and 270 deg counterclockwise around the Billet.
1. Top - .125 radius outer diameter.
2. Top – Drill ½ inch x 3.6 inch deep from top surface of Billet (3 each) center of each hole 1 inch from center of Billet (one at 90 deg, one at 180 deg, one at 270 deg).
3. Top – Drill 23/32 inch x 1 inch deep from top surface of Billet (second drill of item 2 above) (3 each)
4. Bottom – Cut 2-1/8 inch diameter x .51 inch deep from bottom surface of Billet on center of Billet.
5. Bottom - Drill 29/32 inch x 1.51 inch deep from bottom surface of Billet on center of Billet.
6. Bottom - O Ring groove 2-7/16 inch ID x 2-13/16 inch OD x .130 deep from bottom surface and on center of Billet.
7. Front - Drill 23/32 inch x 3 inches deep center located 1 inch from top surface of Billet.
8. Front - Machine flat .3 inches from top surface of Billet 1.4 inches high and 1.25 inches wide with maximum depth at center of .1 inch
9. Left - Drill 13/16 inch x 3 inches deep center located 1 inch from top surface of Billet.
10. Left - Drill 63/64 inch x 1 inch deep center located 1 inch from top surface of Billet.
11. Left - Drill 13/16 inch x 2.1 inch deep center located 2.75 inch from top surface of Billet.
12. Left - Drill 63/64 inch x 1 inch deep center located 2.75 inch from top surface of Billet.
13. Left – Machine flat .2 inches from top surface of Billet 3.35 inches high and 1.25 inches wide with maximum depth at center of .1 inch.
14. Top Adapter – Engraved LT5.
LT5 engraving (on the Top) – Letters are 1/16 inch deep and .1 inch wide x .5 inch high

Note: The Drill depths cited are NOT to the tip of the drill bit but to where the drill bit tapers to the tip. A Drill depth for a 29/32 Drill would actually be approximately .26 deeper to the tip of the drill bit than the drill depths cited. A Drill depth for a 23/32 Drill would actually be approximately .20 deeper to the tip of the drill bit than the drill depths cited. A Drill depth for a ½ Drill would actually be approximately .14 deeper to the tip of the drill bit than the drill depths cited. All Drill depths are from the surface of the 3.75 diameter Billet.

Specifications for Dual Receiver
All Cuts and Drills are from the original surface of the Billet and located on the longitudinal centerline of the Billet.
The Billet (aluminum) for the Dual Receiver is 10 inches long, 4 inches wide, and 2-3/4 inches thick.
1. Bottom - .125 radius outer diameter.
2. Bottom – Drill ½ inch x 3.6 inch deep from bottom surface of Billet (3 each) (center of each hole 1 inch from center of Billet one at 90 deg and two at 180 deg).
3. Top – Cut 2.25 inch diameter x .510 inch deep from top surface of Billet on center of Billet.
4. Drill 29/32 inch x 1.81 inch deep from top surface of Billet on center of Billet.
5. Right – 17 grooves spaced .2 inch on center (.1 inch wide x .2 inch deep at center only – groves are flat).
6. Left – 3 grooves spaced .2 inch on center (.1 inch wide x .2 inch deep at center only –-groves are flat).
7. Left - Flat cut 1.25 inch wide x 2.8 inch high x .1 inch deep inches at center only – cut is flat starting .300 inch from bottom surface of Billet.
8. Left - Drill 29/32 inch x 1.85 inch deep center located 2.243 inch from bottom of Billet.
9. Left - Drill 29/32 inch x 3.00 inch deep center located 1.00 inch from bottom of Billet.
10. Front – 10 grooves spaced .2 inch on center (.1 inch wide x .2 inch deep at center only – grooves are flat)
11. Front - Flat cut 1.25 inch wide x 1.4 inch high x .1 inch deep inches at center only – cut is flat starting .300 inch from bottom surface of Billet.
12. Front - Drill 23/32 inch x 1.90 inch deep center located 1.00 inch from bottom of Billet.
13. Top Adapter – O Ring groove 2.875 OD x 2.5 ID x .130 deep.
14. Back – Same as Front.
15. Bottom Adapter – Engraved LT5 and AMSOIL 10W 40.

Note: The Drill depth is NOT to the tip of the drill bit but to where the drill bit tapers to the tip. A Drill depth for a 29/32 Drill would actually be approximately .26 deeper to the tip of the drill bit. A Drill depth for a 23/32 Drill would actually be approximately .20 deeper to the tip of the drill bit. A Drill depth for a ½ Drill would actually be approximately .14 deeper to the tip of the drill bit. All Drill depths are from the surface of the 3.75 diameter Billet.

LT5 engraving grooves are approximately .1 inch deep and .1 inch wide x .5 inch high

AMSOIL 10W 40 engraving grooves are approximately .05 inch deep and .05 inches wide x .25 inch high
All cooling grooves start .27 inches from the Top (Top to center of first groove). The cooling grooves are flat and not circumferential on Front, Back, Left and Right of Billet.

Last edited by Dynomite; 01-25-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #4
WVZR-1

I believe if I were serious about an "auxiliary sump" back-up I'd contact Mike Kryger user ID "ZR1 MK" - this is something that he addressed in maybe '04 or so and I would assume he solved. Mike is/was an avid road-racer. I've not seen Mike post for quite some time. I'm quite sure he had no desire to use a "sandwiched" adapter.

I'm sure some here might remember Mike and have contact information for him.

Filter thread is M20 X 1.5 and the gasket specification is shared by most I'm sure "spin-on" that share the 3.750/95.3mm diameter spec. with that thread spec. None of the ***previously linked "sandwich adapters" have the correct specs. Is there one? I didn't see a Canton/Accusump branded one either.

There are many pre-lube systems that could be used effectively for the "Spring-time prime" and I wouldn't think an "onboard" system would be desired or required to accomplish the "prime".

*** Cliff seems to have "edited" his post to eliminate his "previously linked not to spec sandwiched adapters".

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-25-2014 at 03:18 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #5
LGAFF

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ock-heads.html
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #6
LGAFF

I have a pre-oiler. Mounted a supply fitting in the pan and returned oil to the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]oil [COLOR=blue !important]cooler[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] return fiiting at the block. I got it to reduce start-up wear, but reduced tensioner noise was a plus. I installed an accumulator a few years later for added road race protection. It faster and noiseless compared to the pump. -Mike Kryger
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 01-24-2014   #7
LGAFF

Pics on his Cardomain:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/418999...olet-corvette/
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
Old 01-24-2014   #8
TCurtner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
I have a pre-oiler. Mounted a supply fitting in the pan and returned oil to the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]oil [COLOR=blue !important]cooler[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] return fiiting at the block. I got it to reduce start-up wear, but reduced tensioner noise was a plus. I installed an accumulator a few years later for added road race protection. It faster and noiseless compared to the pump. -Mike Kryger

I couldn't really go to those links in this post...?
Could you post pictures of the plumbing that you used? I was under the impression that all i needed was one pressure line connection? Need to get this thing mounted up in time for races. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014   #9
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCurtner View Post
I couldn't really go to those links in this post...?
Could you post pictures of the plumbing that you used? I was under the impression that all i needed was one pressure line connection? Need to get this thing mounted up in time for races. Thanks!
Perhaps this would be a good read for you:

http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html#Howdoes

Instruction for an install and flow diagrams are included. I'd still contact Mike K "FIRST"!
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote