ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-02-2013   #1
DarkAngel

Default Easiest way to remove CDM Radio Module ??

Hello

i have a problem with my radio and i would like to replace the CDM module with a "refurbished" one.

what is the easiest way to remove it ?

i have seen on this video that it can be done by the bottom
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z7A2OtdRIM
but on the schema, it seems that it can be done from the top and seems easiest ?

did someone had experience and can help me ?

Thanks
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #2
RICHARD TILL

Default Re: Easiest way to remove CDM Radio Module ??

i pulled and installed my cdm box exactly like the guy in the video including the many cuss words.
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #3
-=Jeff=-

Bottom is better.. Duct is in the way from the top. Take your time and you should be able to get it out just fine
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #4
mike100

I broke one of the tabs and velcroed it back into place. it is still partially mounted, but there is a limit to my patience on a badly made system.

funny how GM decided to use velcro mounting on the 94-96 in the storage bin- kinda of self admission that the dash installation was a bad idea/ and or the CDM was a POS.

Last edited by mike100; 06-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013   #5
gbrtng

I found a locating pin on the rear of the CDM - the CDM must be pushed forward to disengage the pin from its bracket. I had to remove a hex head screw on the lower corner
of the dash assy so I could pry it backwards for the necessary clearance. The service manual is no help - the pictures are not complete and the mystery is revealed when you finally get one apart the first time. And it comes out from the bottom ... Happy day - that car has been sold - yeehaw !
Old 06-05-2013   #6
Z51JEFF

The easiest way to get this thing out is to grab a Sawzall and cut the dash out of the car.In other words,there is no easy way.Ive been working on my own cars for years and this was probably the most challenging job Ive ever done.What I did was take out the seat-seat track,lay on your back looking up and go for it.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #7
DarkAngel

Hello,

Finally removed the CDM and replaced with a new one
It was easier than i thought : took 30mn to take it and replace it
but ...
i found only 3 connectors on the 4 available on the cdm and im facing different issues:
- the antenna does not work
- front speakers does not work (only rears works)

Is it normal that there is only 3 on the 4 connectors plugged ?
Do i have to look for one that could be hidden somewhere under the dash ? or do i have to worry about the antenna and front speakers that might be dead ?

Actually, radio works but without antenna, the reception is really weak; the tape works but cd player does not recognize the cd; it only load and eject
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #8
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Hello,

Finally removed the CDM and replaced with a new one
It was easier than i thought : took 30mn to take it and replace it
but ...
that was my experience also from the bottom.

Quote:
i found only 3 connectors on the 4 available on the cdm and im facing different issues:
Did you take pictures to show these connectors?

Quote:
- the antenna does not work
- front speakers does not work (only rears works)
Antenna and speaker are likely separate issues. They are common failures on a 20yr old car.

Quote:
Is it normal that there is only 3 on the 4 connectors plugged ?
Do i have to look for one that could be hidden somewhere under the dash ? or do i have to worry about the antenna and front speakers that might be dead ?
same answer as above.

Quote:
Actually, radio works but without antenna, the reception is really weak; the tape works but cd player does not recognize the cd; it only load and eject
CD failure you describe is also common. The ribbon coming from the read head often rubs on the circuit board. Over time this ends in failure when the ribbon wears through.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013   #9
-=Jeff=-

yes only 3 connectors.. there should be 2 smaller ones, those go to the speakers

the larger one is for the headunit and power

the other one is not used

be sure the antenna plug is full seated in the CDM and that it did not work its way out during the install, assuming you plugged it in before mounting it completely
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978

Last edited by -=Jeff=-; 03-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014   #10
Dynomite

Default Easiest way to remove/install Bose CDM (Control Data Module)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
I found a locating pin on the rear of the CDM - the CDM must be pushed forward to disengage the pin from its bracket. I had to remove a hex head screw on the lower corner
of the dash assy so I could pry it backwards for the necessary clearance. The service manual is no help - the pictures are not complete and the mystery is revealed when you finally get one apart the first time. And it comes out from the bottom ... Happy day - that car has been sold - yeehaw !
This thread may be old but the information is Significant with NEW notes added that are NOT covered in the attached Video or in any other thread/post regarding CDM Removal. I just ran into the CDM Installation since a ZR-1 I have acquired was found to NOT have the CDM re-installed like it should have been but rather just set back in place sitting among the wires and connectors held in place by the passenger side Knee Bolster.

See CDM Removal (CDM Installation NOT covered).

A couple notes for easier Bose CDM (Control Data Module) Installation:
1. Slide ALL Connectors that are attached to the CDM box plastic cover (under the CDM) off their respective Connector Tabs.
2. Remove those tabs from the plastic Cover(squeeze the tabs on top of the plastic cover and the pins should drop out). Install those tabs back onto the Connectors(slide into the recessed groove of the connectors).
3. Disconnect ALL connectors (separate the male from the female part of the connector) under the plastic Cover allowing the CDM to be dropped down a lot easier without having the electrical wires in the way.
4. The CDM Plastic Cover can be slid to the rear and down after the two 10 mm nuts are removed holding the CDM and Plastic Cover in place (leave the fuse holder attached to rear of Plastic Cover in place as well as the flasher).
5. Be carful when installing the CDM and CDM Plastic Cover. The CDM slides forward in the Plastic Hanger Tabs inserting the plastic dowel of the CDM into the flange mounting hole just below the glove box. The CDM Plastic Cover slides reward on the CDM studs. Do NOT tighten the two 10 mm nuts too much.......just tight enough or the plastic tabs will break
6. The last step re-installing the CDM is to reconnect ALL connectors under the CDM. Install the connector tabs with connectors attached by inserting them into the appropriate 1/4 inch holes in the Plastic CDM Cover (actually under the CDM).
See Typical Low Mileage ZR-1 Issues (Audio, Injectors, Clutch) which link includes Bose Amp Repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
yes only 3 connectors on the passenger side of the CDM.. there should be 2 smaller ones, those go to the speakers.
the larger one is for the head unit and power. The other larger one is not used. Be sure the antenna plug is full seated in the CDM and that it did not work its way out during the install, assuming you plugged it in before mounting it completely
The three connectors on the passenger side of the CDM are each unique in the connector design so not to worry which goes where.

Last edited by Dynomite; 02-14-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote