ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-17-2014   #111
Hog

Default Re: My last effort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Mark - did you send your chip to LG?

Is there ANYone who can de-compile the calibrations in it? So we can see what your fix is / might be???

Or is that tampering with some's revenue source???
Sounds like the "fix" is to have a proper calibration for a modified engine, esp. on these speed density beasts.

Anyone who is into ECM?PCM tuning with LT5 experience should be able to recalibrate a chip, with the car in front of them.

Marks issues, wouldnt even need a dyno, simply idling the car, driving it can yield great results. WOT tuning is often the easiest part, and is a small portion of the complete tuning picture.

IIRC MH only tunes the top 1/2 of the throttle range in his chips. Thats what I read here, I apologize if I'm mistaken.

Hook up the Bank 1 Sensor O2 sensor to the Bank 2 ECM input and vice versa and see what happens. You get a nice burble of flames out of the exhaust pipes at idle. Pretty sight, but not good for the cats.

I hope this issue works itself out, sounds like a good start.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #112
XfireZ51

As an FYI for anyone attending The Gathering, I'll be giving a presentation on
Tuning the LT-5. There isn't enough time to go into great depth, but I hope to provide a "primer" approach to getting started. There's plenty of information and tools out there today for anyone who wants to get started. So there's no "conspiracy" to keep things a secret.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #113
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
As an FYI for anyone attending The Gathering, I'll be giving a presentation on
Tuning the LT-5. There isn't enough time to go into great depth, but I hope to provide a "primer" approach to getting started. There's plenty of information and tools out there today for anyone who wants to get started. So there's no "conspiracy" to keep things a secret.
That would make for a great separate thread or two:
1. Full code listing including OS
2. Comparative analysis of effects of injector delay offset
a) emissions
b) HP
c) idle quality

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #114
Mitsumark

Just a little update..I've logged an additional 600 miles since last post...Running Lee's VD chip has really convinced me that I don't have any serious engine issues.Oil consumption is way down and idle is much more stable..There is a very small trace of smoke that seems to come and go very quickly at idle..However it is not smoking at all like before where it was heavy and steady..The small remaining smoke may be due to the fact that I'm running a chip programmed for secondaries,but mine are gone(smells very rich)Don't know but I feel much better about the car now..It's amazing that just a tune would reek this kind of havoc on a car..PhillipLT5--You are absolutely right..Although the car seems to be much better with Lees chip,the car will never be 100% right until it gets tuned on a dyno by a knowledgable tuner...Lee-I'm definitely sending my chip back to Marc on Mon to be recalibrated..I should have my chip back by next Friday..Gonna drive on yours this week until mine returns..Really appreciate you doing this for me..I'll keep you updated..
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014   #115
PhillipsLT5

Good Luck with RE burn, but the only correct way is to get it on the dyno for your tune, with your mods
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #116
Karl

I had a feeling it was the chip from day one.

Imagine if you sold the car for $10k and found out it was the chip and a couple of fuel injectors gone bad....

Good luck!!!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #117
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Good Luck with RE burn, but the only correct way is to get it on the dyno for your tune, with your mods
Dyno tuning will only affect WOT tuning, unless its a loaded dyno. Idle and part throttle driving will remain unaffected.

the cirrect way is to have a compete recalibration completed when running mods. WOT tuning is the easiest part of tuning. We dont drive at WOT but for a small percentage while on the road.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 04-20-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #118
XfireZ51

Not a well known fact, BUT part throttle affects WOT performance. Unless part throttle is done right, you will have variation in WOT performance if you run
Closed Loop. If your part throttle BLMs are on the lean side, the ECM compensates for that in its calc for the WOT pulse width. You may THINK you have your WOT tuned for say 12.8:1 but that's not what actually happens when you get on it. You'll be richer than expected.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #119
Bob Eyres

I just read this whole thread from the beginning.
The lesson I'm taking away is that it's futile to use an "Off the shelf", or "Over the phone" tune on a modified LT5.
The car must be in the hands of an experienced tuner. Not only to optimize performance, but to ensure that it's baseline settings are correct.

Chalk up another success for this forum. You guys are phenomenal.

BTW, Mark that is one nasty looking ZR-1. The wheels look great, and the interior is all "Business".

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #120
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I just read this whole thread from the beginning.
The lesson I'm taking away is that it's futile to use an "Off the shelf", or "Over the phone" tune on a modified LT5.
The car must be in the hands of an experienced tuner. Not only to optimize performance, but to ensure that it's baseline settings are correct.

Chalk up another success for this forum. You guys are phenomenal.

BTW, Mark that is one nasty looking ZR-1. The wheels look great, and the interior is all "Business".
Totally my take too. Thread is pretty much done.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people

Last edited by scottfab; 04-22-2014 at 11:35 AM.
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote