ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-02-2014   #21
8cam

Default Re: Couldm't get the 94 in gear......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
4cam.....I was only mentioning the fact I went through the same thing on my 90' and thought you prolly did not see it so highlighted it in BOLD RED.
That's ok, just different styles. I'm one of those oddballs who reads everything, including all the stuff around the actual posts. It's all good, sorry for reacting negatively.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #22
LantanaTX

Interesting and helpful thread. I did the self bleed yesterday and my clutch pedal feels better now. I used a wadded up paper towel to suck the black stuff our of the reservoir and then added new fluid and pumped about 50 times, then repeated the process a few more time until the fluid remained nice and clean.

I now want to change the fluid in the trans. What is the best fluid for the trans? heard some kink of BMW stuff? Also can anyone post a picture of the adaptor tool to remove the fill plug?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 #0663
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #23
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantanaTX View Post
Interesting and helpful thread. I did the self bleed yesterday and my clutch pedal feels better now. I used a wadded up paper towel to suck the black stuff our of the reservoir and then added new fluid and pumped about 50 times, then repeated the process a few more time until the fluid remained nice and clean.

I now want to change the fluid in the trans. What is the best fluid for the trans? heard some kink of BMW stuff? Also can anyone post a picture of the adaptor tool to remove the fill plug?
4.4 pints - Castrol TWS 10W-60

LT5/ZR-1 Fluids

D. Be careful on inserting the 17 mm Allen Wrench into the Transmission Drain Plug. That Transmission Drain Plug often has road rash which prevents complete insertion of the 17 mm Allen. If not completely inserted you may strip the Allen part of the Drain Plug.
Snap-On 17mm Allen/3/8 socket

Dress up the Allen part of the Drain Plug and then tap the 17 mm Allen into the plug using a small hammer for full insertion before applying a torque on the 17 mm Allen Wrench to remove the Drain Plug. I use a box wrench that fits over the long end of the 17 mm Allen Wrench for additional leverage making sure you keep the 17 mm Allen Wrench fully inserted in the Drain Plug you are removing.

17 mm Allen Wrench

Last edited by Dynomite; 05-02-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #24
LantanaTX

Thanks for the info. I am having the same symptoms as the OP. When the car is cold and first driving away from my garage, I have to shift slowly and carefully to avoid grinding 2nd gear. The clutch also doesn't engage smoothly. After the clutch and trans warms up, everything is fine. I flushed the clutch and it feel much better. Now I am going to change the trans fluid. I know the Castrol is popular but I did see a post where someone said they got better syncromeshing with AMSOil. Since my issue only shows up cold, should I consider the thinner AMSOil? Or something else?
Old 05-02-2014   #25
Racinfan83

Lantana - here is a link to my DIY on changing tranny fluid. Was like a new one after I did it...http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20819
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #26
LantanaTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
Lantana - here is a link to my DIY on changing tranny fluid. Was like a new one after I did it...http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20819

Thank you. I had already found your thread and it was a very good step by step. Just wondering about fluid since someone mentioned they had better syncro operation with AMSoil than Castrol.
Old 05-02-2014   #27
WVZR-1

I mentioned to a "local fellow" here to make sure he could remove the "fill plug" before the draining and because his drain was all "road-rashed" he felt it necessary to deal with that first. That wasn't a problem for him but the "fill plug" certainly was.

If you need a drain/fill plug the VW part number in this post should be available "locally"

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...49&postcount=1

When the fluid is fresh I don't believe there's issues with either and it's likely improved similarly. I believe the "frequency" of the service is maybe more critical than the product.

A box wrench and the hex I believe works better than just the attempt with the bulk of the M17 hex key. You can lay the box wrench right tight to the plug and certainly gain leverage. You can use both hands also in this case, one to maintain the position of the hex and the other for the box wrench. I don't believe there's anything easier.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-02-2014 at 01:03 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #28
8cam

Finished installing my new slave cylinder this afternoon and it's made a big difference in shifting. The first test drive showed shifting that was much smoother, and the clutch feels more solid than it ever has. Definitely worth the couple hours' work.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #29
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
An acquaintance needed a drain plug for his ZF and he's in somewhat of a remote location but his son ordered the part # I suggested from a metropolitan Buffalo NY VW dealer for him. I received the snapshot of what he received tonight. Here's an image of the plug and the part # pick ticket from the VW dealer. A dealer may attempt to substitute this part number but insist on this # and you should receive the 17mm hex. The substitute would be a later "spline" drive instead of the hex. The VW part # is WHT-001-937 that I had posted several weeks/months ago. There is still 17mm hex stock.

There's full size images in my album. Don't know why the "thumbnail" doesn't open larger. Oh well the number is the important information if an OE style fill/drain is needed. Full retail I believe was less than $10.
Thanks to WVZR-1 I just ordered two of the said part this AM from my local VW dealer. They will in on Tues and cost is $5 a piece....

Thanks to Dynomite for the info on fluids. Picked up the Mobil 1 gear lube 75W-90, looked for DOT 4, no luck with regular DOT 4, no luck with the Castrol Tranny fluid. I'll have to look on ebay or other part stores for those items. Already changed out the engine oil and filter.
And ordered the Snap-On 17mm Allen/3/8 socket....so I will be ready to roll...

And thanks for all of the replies to date, very helpful info.....

Tomorrow, will use DOT 3 to replace the clutch fluid, unless I find DOT 4 before then. This is just so much fun,( I really mean it, enjoy doing things myself when I have the knownledge and time to do it) and my wipers stopped working on the 82, now if only I had more time....mmmmmmmm

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014   #30
dredgeguy

Get the Castrol TWS 10-60 Tranny fluid from your local BMW dealer. Just picked up 3 quarts today, about $48 with tax.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote