ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-15-2014   #1
KILLSHOTS

Default Painting the recessed numbers on the plenum...

I've noticed that several guys have painted the recessed "4" and "32" on the plenum red. Has anyone done this himself, and is there any easy way to do it without making a total mess? I'd like to do this but I'm not willing to just start experimenting with red paint on my newly-detailed plenum.

THANKS!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #2
Jagdpanzer

Default Re: Painting the recessed numbers on the plenum...

I've had excellent results filling in the letters and numbers with good quality model paint. After letting it set up overnight I wiped off the the excess paint around the edges with a folded shop paper towel wrapped around a short piece of 1x4 and wetted liberally with lacquer thinner. Don't let to much paint build up on the towel before shifting to a clean area. It will look perfect when you're finished.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #3
4-cam

When I did my powder coating I painted the lettering by hand. I am no artist and am not that steady but it turned out very nice.
I used high temp engine paint from a spray can and a very thin artist brush. Have rags and q-tips handy. Spray a small amount into a small paper cup. The spray paint is very thin and flows well into the recess. Just dab the brush into the paint , then very lite into the recess. With just a little practice it will just flow with very little effort. Clean the edges with the q-tips as you go if you get a little paint on them. If the paint starts to dry, I was able go scrape it off with my finger nail while it was still soft. Dont let it dry to much or it will be difficult to remove. I also did mine in the spring time. The plenum and air temp was cooler and gave me more work time. It may be more difficult in th summer heat.

Good luck, I hope, this is helpful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-01-06 16.14.28.jpg (101.2 KB, 21 views)
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic

Last edited by 4-cam; 07-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014   #4
KILLSHOTS

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. Very helpful, indeed!!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cam View Post
When I did my powder coating I painted the lettering by hand. I am no artist and am not that steady but it turned out very nice.
I used high temp engine paint from a spray can and a very thin artist brush. Have rags and q-tips handy. Spray a small amount into a small paper cup. The spray paint is very thin and flows well into the recess. Just dab the brush into the paint , then very lite into the recess. With just a little practice it will just flow with very little effort. Clean the edges with the q-tips as you go if you get a little paint on them. If the paint starts to dry, I was able go scrape it off with my finger nail while it was still soft. Dont let it dry to much or it will be difficult to remove. I also did mine in the spring time. The plenum and air temp was cooler and gave me more work time. It may be more difficult in th summer heat.

Good luck, I hope, this is helpful
I just dip a Q-Tip in paint and use that

1991 LT5.......Powder Coated Plenum/Cam Covers

1990 LT5.........Painted Plenum/Cam Covers

Last edited by Dynomite; 07-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #6
carter200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I just dip a Q-Tip in paint and use that

1991 LT5.......Powder Coated Plenum/Cam Covers

1990 LT5.........Painted Plenum/Cam Covers
Great job!!! Looks great....

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014   #7
Jim Nolan

I used a paint pen. Worked out fine.

Jim
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #8
Schrade

I painted the channel and lettering, then taped over it when dry.

Then rubbed a screwdriver handle onto the tape, to make sure the tape was firmly on the top surface.

Then I shaved the tape from the channel perimeter with a single edge razor, to leave tape IN the channel, to complete the Black painting on the surface.

I used a sanding block over the lettering, to remove tape AND excess Red, from the lettering, and leave the tape IN the lettering.

After finishing the Black, I pulled the tape from the lettering with a straight pin, and pulled the channel tape easily.

Here, the tape is still in the lettering, ready for a straight pin.

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote