ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-25-2017   #11
A26B

Default Re: AC Compressor Clutch

Bruce,
What did you do for the pulley? That's the part that is unique to the ZR-1/LT5.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #12
Billy Mild

So would you replace the bearings themselves inside the clutch assembly?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #13
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Bruce,
What did you do for the pulley? That's the part that is unique to the ZR-1/LT5.
I just pressed the old bearing outer, out of the pulley and put a new bearing in the pulley.

I didnt see a need to change the pulley as its in one piece. I would find it surprising though that a huge expense of specific tooling would have been done just to produce a 'special' pulley for so few engines.
Im sure it would be used on some other car ... trick is finding which one!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #14
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
So would you replace the bearings themselves inside the clutch assembly?
Yep, I just replaced the bearing, its the only bearing in the whole clutch assembly.
Thing is, its one of those bearings that is running 'all' the time whether the AC is engaged or not. Like the belt tensioner bearing, it runs all the time, so I'll change that as well, even though it seems ok. The tensioner bearing is not affected by the heat soak from the engine as much, as its not bolted directly to the engine block, it runs quite cool. But the other bearings like the alternator and AC ones etc run at engine temperature - and they get bloody hot!
Old 03-25-2017   #15
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
...........I would find it surprising though that a huge expense of specific tooling would have been done just to produce a 'special' pulley for so few engines.
Im sure it would be used on some other car ... trick is finding which one!
You may be right, but I haven't been able to find it yet. I can attest that there are quite a few LT5 specific parts that are unique, such as the serpentine belt tensioner. Some pieces of the tensioner are shared but the main spring housing is unique.

Insofar as specific tooling requirements, CNC machine tools were well advanced by the time the LT5 was born. CNC eliminates nearly all of the special tooling requirements that would have been associated with the pre-CNC era.

There was no hesitation by GM to spend big bucks on special machine tools required to perform the cam journal boring on the cylinder heads. I have no doubt that if the AC Pulley needed to be unique, then so be it.

BTW, I thought your pulley "turned blue" from the heat & became toast. That's why I inquired about the pulley, and that the pulley has a friction type of material to prevent metal to metal contact.

[IMG][/IMG]
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 03-25-2017 at 09:03 PM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #16
Bruce

Just an update as to where Im at.
I machined up the mating surfaces of the pulley and the compressor drive today. They were out about 0.5mm and the mating surfaces were only touching on a few very small places. So I machined them all flat and they all touch together now.

The picture is of the magnet - it burnt up because when the pulley bearing collapsed, the pulley then rode on the top of the magnet - metal to metal, which cooked it.

While I have the front of the engine so to speak, Im doing all the bearings and the water pump bearing as well.

Tell you what - I cannot believe all the loose bolts on the engine. I found one I could undo off the water pump by hand! I hope I dont have a 'Monday' engine haha.

I went over as many bolts as I could see and tightened down every one - and they were all loose. :/ What were they doing that day at Mercury?

One bolt on the water pump is so tight though I cant get it off, and the head has rounded - and of course its in the worst possible place. I'll wait till tomorrow and borrow a special tool from my mate to get it off. Some of the bolts were so farking tight I had to use a power bar to turn them. Thank god for American Steel.

All I have to do now if figure out how to post photos.
Old 04-14-2017   #17
Bruce

Failed compressor parts.

The first photo is of the compressor pulley. I refaced the mating surface as it was 'all over the place' and the hub would only be connecting with a very small footprint. I resurfaced that too (the part on the left of the left photo). You can still see a small piece of the surface that has a hollow. I didnt bother cutting any deeper as there is now plenty to 'grab' onto.
The right hand photo is of the toasted magnet. This part sits inside the pulley. It melted all the resin from the windings when the bearings (shown with it) collapsed and the inside of the pulley fell down onto the magnet assembly and just ran metal to metal till it burnt. Yes, there was smoke in the car, smoke coming out from under the bonnet. Great spectacle for people waiting at the traffic lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg February2017 423.jpg (138.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg February2017 424.jpg (111.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Bruce; 04-14-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2017   #18
BigIke

My pulley just went up in smoke today.

Is the clutch replaceable with the intake in place? I don't believe it is, probably just go with a reman unit...
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017   #19
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIke View Post
My pulley just went up in smoke today.

Is the clutch replaceable with the intake in place? I don't believe it is, probably just go with a reman unit...
So its not just my driving style then! Someone else has the problem

You have to take the intake horn off to get to the clutch plate or pulley. I took my whole plenum off because Im doing the water pump as well so it made it easier to get to everything like that, but yes, you can get to the clutch and pulley with the intake horn off. The clutch plate is held on with one 10mm bolt and it just slides off. The pulley and magnet armature are held in with a circlip and comes off just as easy.
Old 04-15-2017   #20
BigIke

I'm 7.4k almost every shift from 1st to 3rd (no second gear lol)... So I had smoke pouring out of the clutch yesterday, the ac wasn't working, think I need the clutch or just get the assembly?

Could you tell me the part you used (link) and if modifications an absolute necessity? I don't have the equipment to face the parts.

Thanks! Jay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote