ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-08-2017   #11
4CamJon

Default Re: Starting issue?

Ordered my starter from Jerry today. I will be helping my mechanic take the plenum off tomorrow to get ready for the starter.

Thanks for the tips Jerry.
4CamJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017   #12
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Speaking of "starting" issues, has anyone encountered the situation where the starter operates but the Bendix sounds as if there is a missing flywheel tooth?
It will happen once, maybe twice in succession. Let sit for a few moments and then it engages. I have also rocked the car a couple of times and the flywheel is engaged.
Comments?
Dom, if ever you serviced your starter with a kit off of ebay, there is a good chance the thrust (plunger) pin could be too short!

The pin in the starter rebuild kit I got off ebay was too short by half the width of the bendix gear. Had I used the new armature instead of reusing the stock one, my fear (now and at the time) was it might cause exactly the kind of problem your describing.

IF, when the starter spins, but does NOT engage the FW ring gear, it might just be a bad bendix. But, especially if there is any metal-on-metal shrieking or grinding to go with the starter's free spinning, a damaged ring or pinion gear can't be ruled out until it is inspected (especially when moving the car in gear alleviates the [apparent engagement] problem...really says ring gear to me, FWIW) *

*Inspect that thrust pin and see if it forces the pinion gear to full engagement with the ring gear.
Inspect the entire ring gear for broken or damaged teeth.
replace the bendix

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-09-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018   #13
soslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Dom, if ever you serviced your starter with a kit off of ebay, there is a good chance the thrust (plunger) pin could be too short!

The pin in the starter rebuild kit I got off ebay was too short by half the width of the bendix gear. Had I used the new armature instead of reusing the stock one, my fear (now and at the time) was it might cause exactly the kind of problem your describing.

IF, when the starter spins, but does NOT engage the FW ring gear, it might just be a bad bendix. But, especially if there is any metal-on-metal shrieking or grinding to go with the starter's free spinning, a damaged ring or pinion gear can't be ruled out until it is inspected (especially when moving the car in gear alleviates the [apparent engagement] problem...really says ring gear to me, FWIW) *

*Inspect that thrust pin and see if it forces the pinion gear to full engagement with the ring gear.

Inspect the entire ring gear for broken or damaged teeth.

replace the bendix

Sent from my iPad using ZR-1 Net Registry
soslow is offline   Reply With Quote