ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-06-2019   #11
Roadster

Default Re: Hood Wheel Well Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjay61 View Post
My engine was refinished by Marc back in 2011. Under my hood is near flawless except for my fenders above the wheel wells. This always bothers me at car shows as it stands out like a sore thumb. It's the finish that is flaking off so no amount of cleaning and shining does any good. I cant seem to find any aftermarket availability. Are these no longer made? Found some old threads about spray paint that will restore the finish. Is this the only option? I have a 94 and the liner is supported by rivets. They aren't screws so I wasnt sure how to even go about removing them to paint. One guy at a show yesterday told me he left on and just covered the entire car in plastic and painted the liner, but that seemed a bit extreme to me.

I got some very fine sandpaper and was just going to try and maybe wet sand it down to maybe at least remove all the flaking hoping that would make it look better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Sent from my SM-G950U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Hello Dave.....this is what I did with mine.....you can check it out
here Tom

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27471

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019   #12
doctorjay61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Hello Dave.....this is what I did with mine.....you can check it out
here Tom

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27471
Thanks Tom. This was the thread I was previously reading up on. Mirrock is sending me a replacement in good shape for both sides as well as the necessary screws to convert from the rivets. Look forward to this as now I can just easily take off and remove in the future. I'm just concerned about drilling out the existing rivets as I'm not too confident with the drill. I will seek out help for that.

I then play to restore my existing covers following the steps you indicated and then decide which looks better between the replacement set from Mirrock and my existing set that I restore.

Should be all set as long as there are no issues with removing the rivets. Appreciate everyone's input.

doctorjay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019   #13
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjay61 View Post
Thanks Tom. This was the thread I was previously reading up on. Mirrock is sending me a replacement in good shape for both sides as well as the necessary screws to convert from the rivets. Look forward to this as now I can just easily take off and remove in the future. I'm just concerned about drilling out the existing rivets as I'm not too confident with the drill. I will seek out help for that.

I then play to restore my existing covers following the steps you indicated and then decide which looks better between the replacement set from Mirrock and my existing set that I restore.

Should be all set as long as there are no issues with removing the rivets. Appreciate everyone's input.

Dave, I just saw you did reference the thread back in 2018. Just take your time when removing the rivets, as mentioned some of the pieces are still rolling around on the inside of my hood....lol Hope that it works out well for you, it was a very time consuming job, no need to rush through it. Looking forward to see your results....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019   #14
Flyman 27

I sanded & repainted mine with Krylon Satin black for plastic. Looks great & cleans up easily.

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote