ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-21-2020   #21
Perry Mitchell

Default Re: O2 sensor passenger side pita

That's a good idea however I was told by the experts on this forum that the O2 wires need to be open to the atmosphere so they can sense the oxygen. I had to remove the heat protection wrapping from my wires to get them to work as they should. I don't know what the shortened wires with an added connector will affect.
Perry Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020   #22
mhobtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Now that is a good idea!

Are the two white wires interchangeable? Otherwise how did you determine how to wire the connector properly?

I believe the two white wires are the element heater circuit and are interchangeable but I tried to put them in the connector in the same slot anyway. If you can't see the connector hidden by the plate, you can use the driver side connector as a guide. Before I cut them, I used some colored tape to ID them. Save the heat shielding tube and reinstall it before you put the pins in the connector.

Weatherpak connectors are great. If you happen to put a pin in the wrong slot, they can be easily removed with the correct tool and reinserted. (Or, if you forget to put the heat shield tube on as I did, you can fix your screwup).
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020   #23
ram_g

Perry - you aren't shortening anything with this - you actually end up with more wire to the sensor.

IMHO the elegant part of this is that if you really screw up, you haven't lost anything as you are not making any changes to the new sensor or to the permanent harness. Just unplug the original sensor wiring (noting the difficulty of access, etc.) and plug in the new sensor.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020   #24
mhobtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Mitchell View Post
That's a good idea however I was told by the experts on this forum that the O2 wires need to be open to the atmosphere so they can sense the oxygen. I had to remove the heat protection wrapping from my wires to get them to work as they should. I don't know what the shortened wires with an added connector will affect.
You cannot seal the end of the OX sensor where the wires enter the unit, they must stay open to allow the sensor to breathe.

The wires in the Weatherpak connectors on the other hand are sealed to prevent moisture entering the terminals. Adding a splice harness, if done correctly, will not create sensor circuit problems. If this were an issue, you wouldn't be able to install headers.

You don't cut the wires on your new sensor, you cut them off the old one. If for some reason you had to cut the harness on the sensor to be used, you would have to be sure to leave space for the sensor the breathe.

I am confused as to why you had to remove the heat shield on a new OX sensor, it should have come with adequate gap for air. What brand sensor had this problem?
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020   #25
Perry Mitchell

[QUOTE=mhobtr;314225]I cut the wires at the sensor and installed a new Weatherpak connector. Plugged in the new sensor and looped the wires up and out of the way and was done.

Later, when i installed my OBX headers, I didn't have to find a harness extension.[/QUOTE
My fault. I thought you cut the wires close to the sensor and added the new connector too close for the sensor to breath. What you did is made your own extension. I kept the factory shield on the wires but added additional heat wrap which was secured at each end with heat shrink to keep it from unravelling since it was a woven material. Sorry for the confusion.
Perry Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote