ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-30-2020   #1
ZR2

Default Code 32 on a 94 ZR1

So, I recently did a ton of work.....in my book, to my 94 ZR1. I replaced all the coils, wires and plugs and also all 16 injectors. It took me awhile to do it and the original issue was a mis due to a bad coil, but might as well replace stuff while in there..... I have been driving it since the repairs and it seems to be running great, no real issues and then on my way home yesterday the SES light pops on and stays on. I have a code reader with OBD 1 and OBD 2 attachments etc. Pretty thorough code reader and so I hooked it up this morning and I get a code 32 EGR code. I erased the code and reset everything and haven't had a chance to drive it since, but upon further investigation it looks like there isn't a code 32 EGR for the 94? Anyone ever get this code and if so what was the actual issue? Car seemed to be running the same even with the code? Thanks Mark
ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Code 32 on a 94 ZR1

Hey ZR2,

94 and 95 Zs are odd years because they have OBD2 port but the system is OBD1.
I suggest simple grounding method and pull the code. If it?s truly EGR system, I recommend contacting Marc Heibeck and consult him on simply programming out EGR system. With 94 being 26 years old, even VA State won?t care.

Actually, even MD wouldn?t care. I just noticed MD on your sig.
I have black/black 94 #256. What color and vin do you have?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020   #3
secondchance

https://tech.corvettecentral.com/201...trouble-codes/

For 94, pin 4 and 12 have to be connected with a wire or a paper clip.
Old 12-01-2020   #4
ZR2

I did recognize it was an odd duck so to speak with it being OBDI and the connection being OBDII. The car was running fine, but supposedly the secondary injectors wont xome on I'd there is a code set? I was easy on it on the way home once the code appeared and haven't driven it since. My car is supposed to be Black on Black, but at some point in its life a previous owner painted it a maroon. It was a decent job done. I had a black on black 91 ZR1 and wish this car was still black.
Old 12-01-2020   #5
ZR2

So I drove the car today after erasing the Code 32, EGR. It was again running fine and then it seemed like shortly after getting on it to air it out a bit I look down and see the SES light on in the information center. Sure enough the power light was off and would not go back on with the key as I tried to turn it off and on a few times. I didn't notice any difference in how the car was running other than the secondary injectors would not work with the SES light on. I pulled the code and it was the same code 32 which I erased and all was well again. I tried to look at the live data through my code reader, but it kept saying there was a link issue shortly after it started to show me the sensor numbers etc. I need to look in the WSM and see if there is another ALDL port other than below the steering wheel. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-2020   #6
Ccmano

Yup, as soon as SES light comes on the secondaries are de-activated by the ECM. That's normal. I'm sure there is a diagnostic procedure for this in the 94 FSM. I don't have one or else you post the page for you. Either the EGR wiring is bad or the EGR valve itself is bad. The system tests not only EGR function but communication as well. Could be either. Not unusual for the EGR to freeze. If the EGR is frozen in the closed position the car will run perfectly. But the system will sense a non-functioning valve and set the SES light, in turn shutting down your secondaries.

Maybe someone could post the code 32 page(s) from the 94 manual.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 12-01-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020   #7
ZR2

I appreciate the help. I have the 91 FSM with supplement up to....93 and have read it a bit. No code 32 in the 91 manual. I need to look at it and quite frankly look for the EGR valve. I thought i saw the wiring / sensor was under the plenum when looking through my 91 FSM?
Old 12-06-2020   #8
conesare2seconds

I started to get an intermittent SES light on my 94 a couple of years ago. Car ran fine with or without the light. I had Marc check it and he found the EGR was opening and closing but slowly, triggering a code. Marc felt the. EGR would eventually fail. Ended up editing the EGR in the tune so it wouldn?t trigger the light any longer. (Sorry, I cant recall whether it was set to be always open, always closed or what.) Maybe you are seeing the beginning of the same problem.
conesare2seconds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020   #9
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by conesare2seconds View Post
Ended up editing the EGR in the tune so it wouldn?t trigger the light any longer. (Sorry, I cant recall whether it was set to be always open, always closed or what.) Maybe you are seeing the beginning of the same problem.
What I said.
Old 12-06-2020   #10
conesare2seconds

Okay - yes, what secondchance said.
conesare2seconds is online now   Reply With Quote