ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-11-2021   #1
Neat

Default All members can use my Dynojet 224xLC chassis dyno - near Raleigh, NC

I recently bought a Dynojet 224XLC in ground chassis dyno and installed it in my garage at home. It's not a business thing for me, just something for my friends and I to use / goof around on. In that vein, anyone that's a member here is welcome to use it. Just pay me whatever you think it's worth when you're done, or owe me a favor down the road. No big deal either way.

No time restraints, no gaggle of on-lookers, no shop employees staring at you silently wishing that you'd get out so they can go home, etc... Assuming you can maintain traction on the drum, the dyno will read unlimited torque and horsepower. I've had a handful of cars in 900-1000 RWHP range on it and haven't had an issue with traction. I'm sure I'll have that problem eventually, but so far so good for now. Maximum wheel speed is 200 MPH.

My dyno is what most people think of when they hear the word dyno, a 24 inch diameter knurled drum recessed into the floor. The drum weighs approximately 3000 lbs, and the dyno software is able to calculate horsepower and torque from the rate at which your car can accelerate the drum. This is typically called an "Inertia Dyno" and is the vast majority of whats out there. However, my dyno has an electronic eddy brake attached to the drum. This option nearly doubles the cost of the dyno, which is why you don't see very many dynos with electronic load control in the wild.

Some of the benefits of the eddy brake are:

-Chances are your car doesn't accelerate down the road the exact way that it will accelerate a 3000 spinning drum. You can enter the vehicle weight, frontal area, and drag co-effcient into the dyno software; and the electric brake will apply additional load based on the weight of the car and wheel speed. This simulates driving down the road / track. I have tested it on my car based on how long it takes me to go from 2000 RPM to 7000 RPM on the road, and then again on the dyno. The difference is less than half a second over a 16 second test.

-The eddy brake lets you place the engine under the same load that the engine sees going down the road or race track. All engines act a little different under different loads, turbo cars especially. Maybe your car will tolerate 17 degrees on timing while accelerating a 3000 lb. drum, but out on the track it will only tolerate 15 degrees of timing because your car is heavier / harder to push than the 3000 lb. drum. On an inertia only dyno, that's a chance you take. With the electronic load control, you can mimic the same loads the engine will see when driving, and hopefully arrive at the best tune combination for your application.

-Say you have a stutter / stumble at light throttle, 2200 RPM. You can tell the dyno to hold the drum speed when the engine equals 2200 RPM. When you hit 2200, no matter what you do with the throttle, the brake will apply / release to keep the engine at 2200. That allows you to watch a laptop without crashing, have the hood open and wiggle things while the problem is occurring, etc... You can also do this based on wheel MPH. Same problem, a stumble at light throttle on the freeway. Tell the dyno to hold the wheel speed to 72 MPH, and away you go.

-Road test without actually needing a road. You can drive the car on the dyno more or less like you'd drive it on the road / track. Shift gears (violently if you want to), accel, decel, etc... No risk of crashing while road testing, tickets, other nimrods pulling out in front of you, etc... And you can watch a scan tool or data logger without worrying about keeping one eye on the road.

-You can steady state the car. IE; 3000 RPM, WOT, and the eddy brake will apply enough load so that engine can't increase RPM; while showing real time torque and horsepower. Leave your foot on the floor, and click the laptop to add a degree of timing. You can watch the power / torque respond to that in real time. You can do this at any RPM or any MPH. Great way to find MBT.

-RPM or MPH step tests, custom load tests, etc... Hold the engine at 2000 RPM for three seconds, then let it come up 500 RPM every 3 seconds. This can be MPH based as well. The software also allows for custom tests, which allow you to configure the dyno set up anyway you'd like. Maybe you'll be pulling a trailer and want to apply 20% of the eddy brake's capacity to the entire run to simulate that. Load changes over time, over RPM, over distance, etc... The only real limit is your imagination.

There's a whole host of things it does beyond power and torque. Power generation stuff is fun, but the electronic brake allows you to do some really neat things with the car.

If anyone from here wants to play with it, I'm in Garner, NC near the 40-42 interchange.

joshkinzey AT gmail DOT com is the best way to get ahold of me.
1991 ZR-1 #769 - Turquoise / black - DRM 475 -

1993 Mustang - White / Black - Twin Turbos - Other Stuff -
Neat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021   #2
conesare2seconds

Default Re: All members can use my Dynojet 224xLC chassis dyno - near Raleigh, NC

Wow, Josh. Very generous. Thanks for the offer.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021   #3
Neat

Default Re: All members can use my Dynojet 224xLC chassis dyno - near Raleigh, NC

No sweat gang. It's a fun thing to dink around with, lol.

Old 08-12-2021   #4
dredgeguy

Yes Josh very cool addition to have in your garage and as stated above, very generous. You do realize that over 35 of us will be on the Mountain Run at the end of Sept. and staying in NC....can just imagine the line of cars on your street!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021   #5
Neat

Bring em on! 30+ corvettes would be amazing!

Old 08-12-2021   #6
XfireZ51

Would be useful in doing part throttle tuning to help simulate different MAP point in SA and VE tables to help smooth out rough edges.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021   #7
Neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Would be useful in doing part throttle tuning to help simulate different MAP point in SA and VE tables to help smooth out rough edges.
Absolutely. You can hold the engine at 2000 RPM and work the accelerator pedal from light pressure to heavy pressure. That?ll let you hit all the KPA cells in the 2000 RPM column. Then move onto 2500 RPM and repeat. Keep raising or lowering the fixed RPM until you?ve got the entire part throttle tune sorted. All with the engine being taxed with the correct amount of load.

Old 08-13-2021   #8
Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
Yes Josh very cool addition to have in your garage and as stated above, very generous. You do realize that over 35 of us will be on the Mountain Run at the end of Sept. and staying in NC....can just imagine the line of cars on your street!
I thought about this but it's 4.5 hrs one way from where we will be. Maybe some of you can visit on your way back up the east coast but unfortunately I am driving west to go home after the MR.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021   #9
pappy.72

I foresee a bunch of Camaro and Mustang guys signing up to be members now. Ha.
pappy.72 is offline   Reply With Quote