ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-10-2021   #11
Erik

Default Re: Replacement Fuel Injectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
The problem with my Accels, after 10 years, is that the aerator at the tip wore thru. Rather than atomizing the fuel, the injector was just ?pissing? it into the cylinder, causing a lean misfire I was not aware of. Until we discovered a compression ring broken in 4 places. Others were displaying poor spray patterns.
They are definitely a bad risk. Mine were more of the poor spray problem type issue. I was searching for other issues, because the injectors were new, right? Live and learn.

Pretty well, always buy from Jerry or Marc.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021   #12
ellishedderly

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
My personal opinion about your options;

Rebuilt Injectors: not recommended

Replace with original injectors: Definitely not recommended, If you could find new original injectors for your 1992, they are not ethanol tolerant. Ethanol blended fuel is likely the cause of the injector failure you are experiencing now.

Recommended fuel injectors: Recommend FIC Injectors. Appearance is very close to the originals. excellent injector. https://www.jerrysgaskets.com/fuel-i...16-90-95-13b2/
This was the answer I expected, but how difficult are they to seat? I read a post where they didn't quite fit, so they loosened the rail screws and pushed them in to get them to work. How difficult is this and is there a chance to do harm to the rail or injector? Is this a kit with all the gaskets and "o" rings? If not, can they be bought separately? Thanks much, Ellis
ellishedderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021   #13
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellishedderly View Post
This was the answer I expected, but how difficult are they to seat? I read a post where they didn't quite fit, so they loosened the rail screws and pushed them in to get them to work. How difficult is this and is there a chance to do harm to the rail or injector? Is this a kit with all the gaskets and "o" rings? If not, can they be bought separately? Thanks much, Ellis
Again, contact Jerry. He has everything you need. Plus, he?s an amazing guy to deal with, and knows the ZR-1 inside and out.

"All Corvettes are red. The rest are mistakes." - John Heinricy
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021   #14
SAM/CH ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
They are definitely a bad risk. Mine were more of the poor spray problem type issue. I was searching for other issues, because the injectors were new, right? Live and learn.
Does anybody have long term experiences with FIC? I do not say they are bad, not at all. In my Z I have ACCELs installed since 2005 or about 60'000 miles and many german autobahn (PS. It's a difference if you cruise the Z on US-Highway with 70 or 80 mphs or if you hammer it with 150-200 mphs on a speedlimit free autobahn) high speed runs included. No problems. They pass all 2 years the emissoins test without any issues.
It can happen that a injector can go bad but it should be a exception and not a rule.
I replaced in plenty of Z's stock injectors with ACCELs. No complaints since. I also installed FICs. Therefore I know what I am talking about. One of my clients had a new, leaking FIC brefly after installaton. Would I continue to install FICs? Yes I would.
The advantage of FICs is the price. They are at the moment cheaper than ACCELs.

DR.Z/LT5-Performance

1990 #1822 with 383 cui

Last edited by SAM/CH ZR-1; 10-11-2021 at 02:43 AM.
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021   #15
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellishedderly View Post
They are no more difficult to seat than OE or any other injector that is correct for the application.

They do fit properly, without modification. There is NO HARM to the rail or injector. Visually, an injector may appear to not be fully seated when referencing the body of the injector. However, what really matters is that the o-ring seal is located fully within the injector housing bore & the fuel rail, where the o-ring seals. Many ZR-1 owners perform maintenance themselves, with guidance from other members. As one might expect, not all owners are sufficiently experienced and knowledgeable to determine a potential problem and seek out assistance from others. This is as it should be. We all work together. Such is the case you read. There was no problem.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "kit."

Jerrys Gaskets offers injector sets separately, equipped from the manufacturer with all 32 necessary o-ring for the 93~95 models.

The 90~92 models seal differently at the lower injector seal on the primary injector only. Consequently, 90~92 models require PN 10067600-V in place of the seals provided with the injectors.

A set of plenum gaskets is required, PN 10168684.

I recommend replacement of the Fuel Feed & Return Block o-ring seals, PN 14104675-V, while replacing injectors.

Jerrys Gaskets provides an instruction sheet, with pictures with each set of FIC injectors. We have sold hundreds of sets of FIC injectors for the C4 ZR-1 LT5, with no problems. The reason we chose to distribute FIC injectors is because of Jon Banner, the owner of FIC. Jon has always provided excellent customer support, if and when asked. People make the company.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021   #16
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
The problem with my Accels, after 10 years, is that the aerator at the tip wore thru. Rather than atomizing the fuel, the injector was just ?pissing? it into the cylinder, causing a lean misfire I was not aware of. Until we discovered a compression ring broken in 4 places. Others were displaying poor spray patterns.

Susceptibility to alcohol ya think?
Mine are ~ 10 years old (Accel 150821s) and it runs fine. But I haven't put them on a test jig to test them - haven't had the [apparent] need (as yet).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021   #17
SAM/CH ZR-1

I recommend, whenever you replace the injectors, to replace the fuel filter(s) too.

DR.Z/LT5-Performance

1990 #1822 with 383 cui
SAM/CH ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
injectors