ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-02-2022   #11
Absentninetimes

Default Re: ZR-1 Door Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
Do you have a window sticker that says this came from the factory in yellow.
You said its been resprayed
I don't. I have the RPO code that I found and confirmation from Marc Haibeck. That's it.
Absentninetimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022   #12
Absentninetimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz View Post
Just throwing out ideas...could the red you're seeing be a primer of some kind and not paint?
Not experienced enough to know but I would doubt it.
Old 07-02-2022   #13
Absentninetimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Does it have the factory stickers on the doors? I would take it to a body shop vs a mechanic.... two different types of expertise. check the bottoms of the doors for paint runs, drips...
It does, but the car is up at Marc's so I can't look at them at he moment. And by "mechanic" I suppose I was really referring to my buddy who restores cars (body and mechanics) and Marc. I would think they would know but taking it to a body shop may be a really go idea.
Old 07-02-2022   #14
Absentninetimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Like Phrogs, I am curious if Yellow is the color shown on the window sticker which, if you don't have one, is available from the National Corvette Museum. . --Bob
Thanks for the idea. I will look into that and get the window sticker.
Old 07-02-2022   #15
phrogs

So your codes on your RPO code sticker say its yellow 91 was WA8769 then it was yellow and you said Mark confirmed that.

If you drivers door still has the factory stickers Id say the red is from the factory and they resprayed these cars do get damage so??

I can't see using red primer under yellow.

If the vin stickers are not on the doors then Id say they have been swapped.

Some of our cars suffered paint failure back in the 90s so anything is possible but with paint flaking and showing red sounds like a not so good prep job before paint.

My two cents

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet
phrogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022   #16
Z51JEFF

I'm almost positive the cars used black primer.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022   #17
Absentninetimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
So your codes on your RPO code sticker say its yellow 91 was WA8769 then it was yellow and you said Mark confirmed that.

If you drivers door still has the factory stickers Id say the red is from the factory and they resprayed these cars do get damage so??

I can't see using red primer under yellow.

If the vin stickers are not on the doors then Id say they have been swapped.

Some of our cars suffered paint failure back in the 90s so anything is possible but with paint flaking and showing red sounds like a not so good prep job before paint.

My two cents
I tend to agree. I think this was a half-*** paint job. I plan to get it re-done correctly, this time in competition yellow, at Tim Thorpe's in O'fallon, IL. Luckily the rest of the car, especially the mechanics, are in great shape.

For the life of me I can't remember if the factory door stickers are still there but for some reason I feel like they were. I'll find out in about 6 weeks. Either way, I appreciate your expertise.
Old 07-09-2022   #18
Absentninetimes

Mystery Solved

Just got a call from Marc. He took a good look at the car and found that it had some body damage on the driver's side "dog leg" (which I will need to look up because I'm not sure what that is) and on the right side behind the driver door. According to him, both areas were repaired extremely well so it was not easy to identify. This likely explains why both doors were changed. Luckily, he confirmed again that this was only body damage and the frame is untouched.

He also confirmed that the driver door has the tags on it showing that it is from a 1990 ZR-1. The last few digits of the VIN were removed. Driver door tags were obviously spared when it was resprayed.

Additionally, he noted it's the original engine, but a replacement transmission that was likely replaced under warranty (idk how he knows that but I trust him).

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll post some pics when Marc is done waving his magic wand.

Josh
Old 07-10-2022   #19
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absentninetimes View Post
Mystery Solved

Just got a call from Marc. He took a good look at the car and found that it had some body damage on the driver's side "dog leg" (which I will need to look up because I'm not sure what that is) and on the right side behind the driver door. According to him, both areas were repaired extremely well so it was not easy to identify. This likely explains why both doors were changed. Luckily, he confirmed again that this was only body damage and the frame is untouched.

He also confirmed that the driver door has the tags on it showing that it is from a 1990 ZR-1. The last few digits of the VIN were removed. Driver door tags were obviously spared when it was resprayed.

Additionally, he noted it's the original engine, but a replacement transmission that was likely replaced under warranty (idk how he knows that but I trust him).

I appreciate everyone's input on this. I'll post some pics when Marc is done waving his magic wand.

Josh
Marc certainly is the most experienced C4 ZR-1 guy on the planet, perhaps along with Graham. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote