ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-30-2005   #1
ZR1 MK

Default battery in rear storage area

BATTERY INSTALLATION IN REAR STORAGE COMPARTMENT

The ZR1 Corvette is heaviest at the left front and lightest at the right rear, so this modification is a benefit for better weight distribution. It improves handling, braking and acceleration.
Keep in mind there are quite a few ways to do the installation. Some run cable in the car and use two cables to the original connections. I ran the negative wire to the right rear frame as pictured. The positive wire went over the tunnel and along the frame rail next to the brake lines to a disconnect switch located at original battery location. I used cable designed for low voltage. Some use welding type cable. I actually used that type of cable on a previous car, but a few sources state that welding type cable is not as good for 12 volt systems. It’s basically a small strand vs large strand issue. I see cable kits available with 4 gauge cable, but I recommend 1 gauge as the smallest cable to use.
I used a piece of 4”x4” wood for the bottom of the rear portion of the storage compartment so the battery would sit flush with the front portion of the compartment. A steel plate is used on the outside bottom portion of the storage compartment to support the clamping rods. I didn't find a battery tray that I liked during installation so I neglected to use one. I thought I would get to it in the future, but didn't. The battery can't be moved if you were to try and move it by hand, but extreme G forces and vibrations will shift it, therefore a tray is required for proper installation. That’s why I put a foam block in for track use and tool kits for street use.
I use and highly recommend the Optima battery. It’s a gel design and therefore its venting requirement is far less than a standard acid battery. I did supply venting holes for my installation as gels do vent regardless of how small. See Optima’s website (www.optimabatteries.com) for more information on venting and other great battery facts.
I also didn't use a fuse directly at the battery. The portion of cable from the battery to the disconnect switch is unprotected. I don't think this is a problem for my use and needs, but you may want to consider this.
See my website (www.cardomain.com/id/zr1mk) for more pictures of the installation.
ZR1 MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #2
Nick

Default Re: battery in rear storage area

Mike, that is a really nice installation! Thanks for posting that.
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #32 - lapsed...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005   #3
Z Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Mike, that is a really nice installation! Thanks for posting that.
I agree

Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #4
WB9MCW

Lightbulb Re: battery in rear storage area

GUD STUFF THERE
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #5
HADI-ZR1

Is it fine using 400 CCA , 55AH battery ?!
cuz i found good Battery to install it in rear storage!
the battery weigh about 13-14 kg . good for reducing weight too.
Old 02-24-2008   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HADI-ZR1
Is it fine using 400 CCA , 55AH battery ?!
cuz i found good Battery to install it in rear storage!
the battery weigh about 13-14 kg . good for reducing weight too.
I would not recommend that; factory rated CCA is 695, I have 735. I don't know if it would even turn over with 400 CCA.
Old 02-24-2008   #7
FU

Nice clean install Mike. As usual !! How is your engine project making out ??
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008   #8
ZR1 MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2
Nice clean install Mike. As usual !! How is your engine project making out ??
Is FU and FU2 the same Frank?
I just happen to stumble on this post. I dont get email notifications on my posts in all the forums that Im involved in, so its hard to keep track. One reason I dont post as often as in the past.
My engine is in the garage waiting for the installation. I just need to schedule it between track events, vacations etc. Its planned to go in after a March 28 track event. Finally after a one year delay.
ZR1 MK is offline   Reply With Quote