ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-04-2023   #1
Chuck Banks

Default TPS problem

My '92 with 101,600 miles just developed a drivability issue that I think may be related to the TPS. Upon start up with engine cool, throttle response is instant, and car has good power. When engine is fully warmed up, (easy to achieve here in AZ,) there is a hesitation on first pushing the throttle, and it seems to take a moment for the engine to develop full power. If I'm at part throttle and quickly press the pedal, there is no hesitation and car performs as it should. It has also developed a surging when off the throttle and coasting to slow down. If I keep giving it a little throttle when coasting the surge is not as noticeable. The car is not showing any codes, so I'm not sure if it would only show a 21 or 22 code if the TPS was completely inoperable.
I've owned this car for 31 years and done almost all maintenance including new Accel injectors at 92,000 and then new starter at 94,000, and Fuel pumps and sender at 100,000. I think things are just getting old and maybe thats whats causing the driveability issue.
Any thoughts on my failing TPS diagnosis. I don't have a tech 1 so would have to figure out how to set the TPS if I replace it.

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023   #2
secondchance

Default Re: TPS problem

I would remove the TPS, rig volt meter to it and slowly move the lever observing the voltage. If the voltage moves progressively, good. If it spikes and fluctuate, bad TPS. My original TPS was worn around 1500 to 2200 rpm. Understandable?
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023   #3
Chuck Banks

Will test the sensor this weekend as you suggested.
Thanks
Old 08-07-2023   #4
secondchance

Actually, in the abscence of reference voltage, I might have checked resistance.
Old 08-09-2023   #5
Young1

And it is an easily procured GM part. Yeah!
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023   #6
Chuck Banks

Tested the TPS off the car using an analog ohmmeter. The sweep of the needle was uneven from the idle position for a short distance before it became smooth for the rest of the travel of the arm. I replaced the TPS with one from Standard Motor Products. Problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for the tip on checking the TPS.
Old 08-11-2023   #7
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Banks View Post
Tested the TPS off the car using an analog ohmmeter. The sweep of the needle was uneven from the idle position for a short distance before it became smooth for the rest of the travel of the arm. I replaced the TPS with one from Standard Motor Products. Problem seems to be resolved. Thanks for the tip on checking the TPS.
Exactly the same had happened to me about 4 years ago. A new TPS and the problem was solved.