ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-22-2009   #21
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: Help 91 Random Tech or Magnaflow cats Part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
May I ask a Q? Sorry to hi-jack the thread GC...

The "transitions" in the picture are the s/s braided looking pipes?

If yes. Where do you find that stuff, at Jegs or summitt?

Sorry for the Q's. I'm a bit lost on this stuff. TIA!
I was wondering about those as well. I think they look great anybody know? No Hijack Tom I pmed the panzer to ask as well.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-22-2009 at 12:21 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009   #22
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Well it sounded good on the 101 North Fri afternoon, yea that was me in my beater Sentra, Guess I know where I need to go to see some good mods being done
It was making the noise at that point I was hoping somebody wasnt trying to flag me down to tell me I was dragging my exhaust or something. It was good to see you Phil I was a little embrassed the girl was overdue a bath.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-22-2009   #23
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1 View Post
so are you all going to the strip for family bragging rights when the cars are done . could be fun

Not sure but a family photo when its all done is in order

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-22-2009   #24
Sgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
I was wondering about those as well. I think they look great anybody know? No Hijack Tom I pmed the panzer to ask as well.
Braided hose is not the norm IMHO. Solid stainless is more common and D you are getting solid stainless.
Old 02-22-2009   #25
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgreg View Post
Braided hose is not the norm IMHO. Solid stainless is more common and D you are getting solid stainless.

Thanks for that Greg I was wondering if that was a heat or thermal barrier in a stainless lattice work that slipped over the piping?

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-22-2009   #26
Jeffvette

Quote:
Thanks for that Greg I was wondering if that was a heat or thermal barrier in a stainless lattice work that slipped over the piping?

No, it's a flex fit fitting. It's a triple layer of braiding.
Old 02-22-2009   #27
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
No, it's a flex fit fitting. It's a triple layer of braiding.
And there we have it. Thanks Jeff hey did you get my PM on the bolts?

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 02-22-2009   #28
Jeffvette

Quote:
And there we have it. Thanks Jeff hey did you get my PM on the bolts?
Yep.
Old 02-22-2009   #29
Jagdpanzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
May I ask a Q? Sorry to hi-jack the thread GC...

The "transitions" in the picture are the s/s braided looking pipes?

If yes. Where do you find that stuff, at Jegs or summitt?

Sorry for the Q's. I'm a bit lost on this stuff. TIA!

What you see in the pics I posted are:
  1. Stainless Works headers w/ 3" OD collector outlets.
  2. Magnaflow MPE-59959 7.75" length cats (with 1/2" cut from each side to further reduce length) w/ 3" ID slip on connections to Stainless Works header 3" OD collectors and retained by heavy duty SS seal clamps.
  3. The Magnaflow cats have Stainless Works part # TT32.5 3" to 2 1/2" SS transition reducers (length cut to fit) welded to the discharge side (examples)
  4. which are welded to the 2 1/2" SS flex sections
  5. which are then welded to the 2 1/2" Corsa system.
In my case I wanted flex sections right after the cats to help isolate vibration and reduce the bending forces transmitted to the headers and engine by the rather rigid construction of Corsa exhaust system. The SS flex sections are 2.5" ID x 4" long, slip-on weld type from Vibrant Performance part # 45544
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1022_1035_1064_1113
(example)

These flexes are gas-tight construction with inner and outer braided SS liners to help protect the SS bellows. I would have preferred to use even longer flex sections and added SS V-band clamps to ease of assembly but Corsa pipe on the driver's side did not allow for enough length between the cat outlet and the first bend to fit all of these components in and at the time I did not want to get into heavily modifying the Corsa piping. As it turned out the flex sections were all that was needed to help make assembly and removal of the exhaust system via the collector clamp joints a snap. I have about 750 miles on the sytem since installed and so far no problems to report except for an even a more accute case of perma grin.

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 02-22-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #30
tomtom72

Thank you Mr. Jag for that easy to follow explaination!

I never thought about vibration isolation in our exhaust systems. Hummmm, I wonder if that contributes to the dreaded resonance issues???

Seriously, thank you for putting so much effort into the sharing your info!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote