ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-28-2005   #11
LeoLily

Default Re: Frequency/Seasonal

"Thumper" was just given the "last hurrah" run yesterday. We live in Boulder which is "nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains." Unfortunately, the gravel trucks hit the mountain highways in October with the first snow so we've been doin' some "city driving" for the last 2 months. And, the weather is dropping out of the 60s into the 30s so we gave him a run and a bath and garaged him until March. We WILL, however, be getting him out every 2 weeks or so and bringing him up to temp. We also will be doing some vacuuming and polishing over the winter.

Next spring we will be going for weekend drives, heaing to Utah for the Corvette Corral at the ALMS race July 13-15, and going to "Vette's on the Rockies" in Frisco, CO at the end of July. In the meantime, MAJOR ZR-1 Withdrawal!!
LeoLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #12
bobbyhi

I thought that I read somwehere that you should not start the engine once you have put it to bed. I think that the read was from Doug Rippie's web site. Not sure. I'm sure there are just as many that agree that starting the engine is the way to go. I wonder what Marc has to say??
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #13
LeoLily

We don't really "put him to bed" per se since we're only down for about 2-3 months. We drop the insurance to comprehensive only, fill the tank, clean the car inside and out, check all fluids and park it in the garage. That's why we just run it up to temp every couple of weeks in the driveway on "nice" days.

In the spring (probably about March) we will upgrade the insurance back to full coverage, change all the fluids and be out and about again for the summer.
LeoLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005   #14
Patton

Cuisinartvette,
I know exactly what you are talking about, It is a dramatic seat of the pants difference with this cold air! It has been raining lightly in Sacramento since Sunday, The first day I was slow and cautious, yesterday I started to get comfortable, and today going to work I got curious about my rain envelope I got on it in the rain going through an onramp that I can pull 1.06 G's consistently at around 65mph when its dry. Halfway through the back end just SNAPPED out very abruptly without warning! I would have paid money to watch this from the overpass. So the tail kicks out and scared the **** out of me because of how quickly it happened, normally I can nurse a moderate drift all the way through an onramp. But it felt like I was going to Porche it, so I just let off the gas entirely,.... ooops. The bltch SNAPPED back inline with such ferocity the steering wheel damn near broke my thumbs off. So,... No trees, no *** end first, and an increase in driving experience for next time, at the cost of a slightly hurt pride. Not to bad! To give my tires credit, they hold VERY well in the rain, I just jackassed the throttle. (Sumitomo HTRZ's) (In the wet I have found lateral hold is extreme, straight line is moderate to good, and braking is GREAT.)

Tom,
A ZR-1 rolling through NYC? Oh man, you have got to send me some photos!! Those cruises you have mentioned sound like a blast! I wish I could join ya! Bill and I are going on a vette cruise (canned food drive) next weekend. I'll take my camera!
I hear you about putting miles on em, I think having some museum pieces is very important. However these cars are meant to be driven, and if you don’t drive it, you are just taking care of it with all of your time and money so the next person can drive it,... I'm no stable boy, I’m gonna to drive my Z, and take as good care of it as the rarely driven ones. I JUST hit 33,000 this morning by the way. I have had it for three years and I bought it at 22k miles.

Bobbyhi,
PowerEffects exhuast? Hmmm, I have been debating on whether or not to go with B&B or PowerEffects. How do you like yours? If you have a chance I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could record a sound bite, inside and outside (rear) of your car with some good rev ranges? It would be great fun for us here and I could finally make a sound decision,... ha,... sound decision.... Thanks very much either way!
Old 11-29-2005   #15
bobbyhi

I would like to help with the sound but with 8" of snow that just fell I have put the car in hibernation. No battery, wheels off, etc. I'm not even sure if Power Effects is still in business. A couple of threads here indicated that they may be starting up again???? The have a very mellow sound that can be adjusted down. I have never run with them "closed". Their web site has the sound track on it. Do a search for them and listen. They came on the car when I got it. Don't have headers but that is on the Christmas list along with P & P. Have to decide if I want the cats or long headers. Doesn't seem like too much loss of RWHP with the cats.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
Old 11-29-2005   #16
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton
Bobbyhi,
PowerEffects exhuast? Hmmm, I have been debating on whether or not to go with B&B or PowerEffects. How do you like yours? If you have a chance I would GREATLY appreciate it if you could record a sound bite, inside and outside (rear) of your car with some good rev ranges? It would be great fun for us here and I could finally make a sound decision,... ha,... sound decision.... Thanks very much either way!
Only way you'll find a PE exhaust is used. They haven't made them for years now. Just a FYI.
Old 11-30-2005   #17
tomtom72

Wow Patton! Glad the only thing that got hurt was the pride!

I like that "stable boy" analogy. I should think if there is a down side to using our Z's instead of "saving" them it's the dirt they collect on the back end of the car! Cheese & crackers does that car suffer from the dirty butt syndrome or what? Seems like ya can't drive two feet without the back looking like ya don't clean the car at all.

It sure is a pile o work to keep'em ship shape & bristol fashion if you use it though. They sure do look purdy when they are clean though & it's good theraphy too!

Gonna take my camera when we do our "NYC Christmass Post Card Run" this Sat. If I can figure out how to post'em I'll do it, should be a fun run. We always create the stir when 20 or so vettes invade NYC in a pack! NYPD is very understanding towards us...we get away with parking that diplomats don't even get away with. As usual, I'll be the lone Z in the caravan!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #18
Patton

Bobbyhi,
Jesus, you poor bastard. Move to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia and you can enjoy warm weather and garage your vette for not passing smog instead.

Jeff,
I called them last year March-ish and they were still in business. Poor guys, I hate to see 'em go. Who's paying for their website hosting?

Tom,
Dirty butt syndrome,... That’s freakin GREAT. That annoys the SHlT outta me, my car is WHITE. Or how about after you have dried everything after the wash and you shut your door only to have a sh1t load of water squirt out from every crevasse that you couldn't possibly cram a towel into. After you've cursed and moaned and dried it up, you even think of moving that car at all and water pours out from the crevasses around the tail lights and runs down the back of your car, trailing little bits of dirty @ss that got stuck in there, and then you get to your destination and step back to admire your hard work only to see four nasty dark dirt streaks streaming from the taillights.

Last edited by Patton; 11-30-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005   #19
bobbyhi

When I'm in CA on business my wife won't let me read the newspaper from that part of the world. Way too left for my way of thinking. I can go on and on but that is meaningless. The winters are getting too harsh on this only body. Got to look further south (someday). I hear ya on keeping the car clean before shows. I got giged a couple of points last summer after I drove thru the rain to get to the show. Bummer.....
1990 #2405 White/Gray

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
Old 11-30-2005   #20
tomtom72

The hatch window is the worst! Close it and about a gallon of water comes flying out! I use a leaf blower now to blow out the mirrors and the ant. hole and the lic plates and tail lights and the gutter around the hatch glass. It gets most of it & it makes drying the wheels & tires easy too.

I do hate that the car hides so much water. It's almost as if the car does it to spite you..."so you think I'm dry, huh...well try this on for size chief!"
Ahhh, but we love them so! Why do people call ships she? Because you give & she takes!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote