ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-23-2010   #1
LGNDLT5

Default Twin post garage lifts. Again (sorry)

Anticipating the ability to install a twin post lift in a new garage project in the fall (Oct.). I know everybody has had there fill of this type of question but I would appreciate any recommendations (cost is an issue) for products that should be avoided and or your experiences. Also I will have somewhat limited ceiling height 10". Anyway I appreciate any input and, thanks in advance. John R. Sullivan "91 #283 polo saddle original owner.
LGNDLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #2
Pete

Default Re: Twin post garage lifts. Again (sorry)

John,come over my place you can see my 2 post.

I build the garage around/for the lift.

I like 2 post, it can do everything a 4 post can and then some, no extra work for suspension or brake work also takes up less room in the garage.

The only good thing about a 4 post that i can think of is "drive up and lift"

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010   #3
WB9MCW

My buddy Mike of Mike's Automotive in Wonder Lake has two 2-Post Lifts,

My Z has been up many times on them -- My T-Bird even Mama's Grand Marquis

He works the heck out of them 6 days a week for years and years now and no problems.

I do not know the brand name however. But I could find out.

I bet the brand Pete is using are good ones too Plus Pete has worked his for years now as well. Many a Z up and down on his no doubt.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #4
jrd1990zr1

I bought a 9000 # assymetric Eagle lift at Corvetts at Carlisle about 3 years ago. Installed it myself, toughest job was taking it out of the bolted up crate. Price was right for someone who does not use the lift daily. Has been working fine.

Best tip I can give is to get assymetric arms. They put the car further rear of the posts so you can open the doors wider while on the lift. This is very handy on a C-4. Shop around.

jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #5
threestar40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd1990zr1 View Post
I bought a 9000 # assymetric Eagle lift at Corvetts at Carlisle about 3 years ago. Installed it myself, toughest job was taking it out of the bolted up crate. Price was right for someone who does not use the lift daily. Has been working fine.

Best tip I can give is to get assymetric arms. They put the car further rear of the posts so you can open the doors wider while on the lift. This is very handy on a C-4. Shop around.

I don't think his ceiling is tall enough for an assymetric.

I have a floor plate design because of my 10 foot ceiling.

As far as I know there is no assymetic manufactured with a floor plate?

Rick =)
threestar40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010   #6
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestar40 View Post
I don't think his ceiling is tall enough for an assymetric.

I have a floor plate design because of my 10 foot ceiling.

As far as I know there is no assymetic manufactured with a floor plate?

Rick =)

My Eagle assymetric lift has a floor plate.

I can measure the posts if the OP wants the info.

John
Old 07-27-2010   #7
LGNDLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
John,come over my place you can see my 2 post.

I build the garage around/for the lift.

I like 2 post, it can do everything a 4 post can and then some, no extra work for suspension or brake work also takes up less room in the garage.

The only good thing about a 4 post that i can think of is "drive up and lift"

Pete
Pete. Thanks for the invitation. I will take you up on it. Just gotta find a bit of free time. I'll get in touch. Thanks. John
Old 07-27-2010   #8
LGNDLT5

Quote:
My Eagle assymetric lift has a floor plate.

I can measure the posts if the OP wants the info.

John
John/Rick. OK Assymmetric. vs. floor plate??. I have been looking at the "short" twin posts and the taller ones with and with out a cross brace at the top. Does the floor plate replace the top brace? Researching but still in the confused a bit (a lot) stage. The initial list is narrowed down a bit: all 9000 LB., Titan HD2P-9000AF NO top brace shorter free standing posts. Same brand Titan, With top brace, same number except suffix "AC" on part number. Both same price. Next; Dannmar (now called Admiral) Factory refurbished a bit more$. North American Auto Equipt. with top brace. Price about the same. Last one Atlas brand. These all are priced about $1400-$1500. OR does anyone have a recommendation or? Any familiarity with these brands or experiened problems? Pete, Which one do you have? Thanks for all the assistance. John
Old 07-27-2010   #9
LGNDLT5

Quote:

Thanks, great suggestion. I understand . Thanks for your thoughts . very helpful. John
Old 07-27-2010   #10
jrd1990zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGNDLT5 View Post
John/Rick. OK Assymmetric. vs. floor plate??. I have been looking at the "short" twin posts and the taller ones with and with out a cross brace at the top. Does the floor plate replace the top brace? Researching but still in the confused a bit (a lot) stage. The initial list is narrowed down a bit: all 9000 LB., Titan HD2P-9000AF NO top brace shorter free standing posts. Same brand Titan, With top brace, same number except suffix "AC" on part number. Both same price. Next; Dannmar (now called Admiral) Factory refurbished a bit more$. North American Auto Equipt. with top brace. Price about the same. Last one Atlas brand. These all are priced about $1400-$1500. OR does anyone have a recommendation or? Any familiarity with these brands or experiened problems? Pete, Which one do you have? Thanks for all the assistance. John
There are two styles of lifting arms. Symmetric which means the arms are essentially the same lenght and asymmetric which has longer rear arms which places the car door further back. (My door opening comment)

All two post lifts need to get the hydraulic fluid from the pump to the two posts and equilizer cables to keep the car level side to side. Many two post lifts have the cables and the hydraulic piping over the top of the car. (increasing the height requirement since they must be above the car in the maximum height position) An alternative is the floor plate where the piping and cables cross between the posts under a piece of steel, beveled so a car can go over it.

Hope this helps explain. BTW I think I paid about $1600 with shipping for my eagle two post about 4 years ago.

John