ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-17-2010   #11
Kevin

Default Re: ATTENTION ALERT FOR 90-92 ZR-1's -- MAY BE BAD FOR 93-95 AS WELL - SEMA ALERT

this has to be a ploy by the oil companies, although they could be in bed with the corn lobby....more ethanol = less mpg
Old 09-17-2010   #12
WB9MCW

Default Re: ATTENTION ALERT FOR 90-92 ZR-1's -- MAY BE BAD FOR 93-95 AS WELL - SEMA ALERT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
15% ethanol is total BS and not safe.

I don't run any ethanol in my ZR-1.

Original injectors that still GIT-R-Done!
Being in one of the CORN States there are no more stations left with all real gas here that I know of since BP bought out Standard Oil.

Where in FL. are you so lucky as to get real gas at still?

I am still on my orig inj's but I am not so sure for how much longer being a 92 as well.
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #13
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
this has to be a ploy by the oil companies, although they could be in bed with the corn lobby....more ethanol = less mpg
Why would the oil companies want you to run E15?

Also, I believe the blame for this still goes back to W. In the 2005 energy bill, there is a requirement for gasoline to be sold with a certain amount of "renewable" energy, aka ethanol.

Calendar year: .................................................. ......Applicable
.................................................. .............................volume of
.................................................. .............................renewable
.................................................. .............................fuel
.................................................. .............................(in billions of
.................................................. .............................gallons):

2006 .................................................. .................... 4.0
2007 .................................................. .................... 4.7
2008 .................................................. .................... 5.4
2009 .................................................. .................... 6.1
2010 .................................................. .................... 6.8
2011 .................................................. .................... 7.4
2012 .................................................. .................... 7.5

from pg 477: http://www.epa.gov/oust/fedlaws/publ_109-058.pdf

This is why you saw E10 become so common year-round, whereas before it was generally only in "high density" areas and at certain times of year (usually summer) as part of the EPA's reformulated gasoline (RFG) program. Ethanol is an oxygenate, like MTBE, except MTBE has fallen out of favor for RFGs because apparently it can contaminate ground water.

Anyway, in order to meet those targets for "renewable" fuel sold with gasoline, E10 became pretty much standard everywhere. However, each year the target ramps up. Once we are all using E10, how do you reach the next target level? Gasoline consumption doesn't rise at the rate the amount specified in that chart. Is E15 the next step? I sure as hell hope not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Interestingly, RFG became a thing as part of the 1990 Clean Air Act, which passed under a different President Bush.

I am no Obama or Pelosi fan, in fact I'm 180-degrees opposite. But this kind of crap doesn't just come from uber-lefty lunatics. Take something like the Clean Air Act, it probably seemed somewhat innocuous at the time, but now we are facing a world where the gasoline we are sold can kill our cars. Why is any of this stuff within the realm of regulation by the federal government? As a consumer, why can't I just buy whatever the hell I want?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #14
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
Why would the oil companies want you to run E15?
the more ethnol you have in the gas, the lower your mpg will be thus the more gas you have to buy at a higher price since they will "have to charge more because of this new blend"
Old 09-17-2010   #15
Aurora40

Well, the loss of economy is directly attributed to the ethanol. If it's E15, you won't get 15+% worse economy. The ethanol doesn't make the gasoline part less efficient.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #16
WB9MCW

"As a consumer, why can't I just buy whatever the hell I want?"

MY POINT EXACTLY

I would be happy to pay a bit more for "REAL GAS" for my Z.

The world has gone to POT ~~~ PUN intended

BTW I do not think the letters to the "anointed one" will make for a "CHANGE" but at least he will know he is pissing us all off yet again and some more. Maybe someday he will start learning and listening if we are all lucky.

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 09-17-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-18-2010   #17
WB9MCW

Pure-gas.org is a site dedicated to one, simple task: to list the gas stations in the U.S. and Canada that serve ethanol-free gasoline. Many cars, motorcycles, boats, aircraft and tools have engines that run worse, or have parts that deteriorate, when run on gasoline that contains ethanol. In addition, ethanol leaves residue on valves and other parts that can hinder performance.

http://pure-gas.org/about

=============================

Origin of the 'Higher Octane is Better' Concept

Higher octane gasoline did reduce engine knock in older engines that used carburetors to regulate the air/gas mix. The older engines could not regulate the air/fuel mix going into the engine as efficiently as a computerized fuel injector. A carburetor in need of adjustment could cause too much fuel to be mixed with the air, which meant the gasoline would not burn completely. The excess gas soaked into carbon deposits and caused a premature ignition of the gasoline from the heat of the engine cylinder. The premature ignition made a sound that came to be known as 'engine knock.' When this happened, people would change to the higher octane/slower burning gasoline to resist the premature burn, thus minimizing the knock. Upping the octane was beneficial then, but engines and gasoline formulations changed.

Since the mid-1980s engines use fuel injectors with computers to accurately control the air/fuel mix over all temperature and environment ranges. The accuracy of the fuel injectors and computers is based on using the recommended gasoline for that engine. Most cars are designed to burn regular unleaded gas with an octane rating of 87. If the vehicle needs a higher octane rating this requirement is noted in the owner's manual and usually under the fuel gauge and by the gas tank.

Gasoline Factors That Matter
The quality of gasoline and the additive package usually affect the rate of engine wear more than the octane rating. Basically what this means is that it matters more where you buy your gas than which grade you purchase.

Regular Unleaded Gasoline
The recommended gasoline for most cars is regular 87 octane. One common misconception is that higher octane gasoline contains more cleaning additives than lower octane gas. All octane grades of all brands of gasoline contain engine cleaning detergent additives to protect against engine deposit build-up. In fact, using a gasoline with too high of an octane rating may cause damage to the emissions system.

? Gasoline and Octane Ratings - This article defines octane ratings and provides an overview of how gasoline in made.

Mid-Grade Gasoline
The octane ratings 'regular', 'mid-grade', and 'premium' are not consistent. In the United States, for example, one state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for premium gasoline, while another may allow an octane rating of 90 to be premium. Check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump rather than relying on descriptive labels.

Premium Gasoline
Certain high performance engines benefit from use of high octane fuel. For other engines, using a fuel with a higher octane rating than the vehicle requires sends unburned fuel into the emissions system and catalytic converter. This puts unecessary stress on the emissions system. For some vehicles, a rotten egg smell coming from the tailpipe signals use of too-high octane gas.

Leaded Gasoline
Many countries continue to use leaded gasoline, even though lead exposure has significant health and environmental consequences and the cost of switching to unleaded gasoline is relatively low. Although greatly improved, research indicates significant health and environmental effects from use of leaded gasoline remain even in countries that have switched to unleaded fuel.

Synthetic and Reformulated Fuels
Some major cities with air pollution problems require the use of reformulated gasoline. Reformulated gasoline is an oxygenated fuel that burns cleanly but can lower fuel economy and engine performance slightly. Reformulated gasoline may cause pinging or premature burn in engines with excessive carbon deposits. Older/dirtier engines may benefit from stepping up to the next grade of gasoline.

======================

Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) is an alternative fuel fermented from corn, grains or agricultural waste or it is chemically extracted from ethylene (hydration). It is used primarily as a supplement to gasoline.

Pure ethanol is not sold as a stand-alone fuel, at least not yet?it is commonly mixed with gasoline in varying percentages creating a transitional fuel that will pave the way for pure alcohol vehicles. For example, E85 is a common mixture: 85 percent ethanol, 15 percent gasoline. Most pump gasoline contains ethanol in much lower percentages. In the United States, it is added to gasoline in varying quantities (most commonly 10 percent) to boost the octane level and meet EPA requirements for oxygenated (smog reducing) fuels, especially in metropolitan areas.

To burn high concentrations such as E85, vehicles have to be designed as flex-fuel vehicles (FFVs) to utilize the unique combustion characteristics and tolerate the corrosiveness of the alcohol.

Pros: A Yes Vote

* Clean burning fuel: Reduces ozone-forming emissions.
* Renewable: It?s plant based, therefore what is used can be re-grown.
* Support of local agriculture: Produced domestically, it?s one more way to support local farmers.

Cons: What to be Aware of

* Corrosive: Tends to deteriorate non-synthetic and natural rubber fuel system parts.
* Land and labor viability: Large amounts of farmland and labor are required to grow the crops.
* Lower energy content than gasoline: Gasoline contains about 114,000 BTUs per gallon versus ethanol's 76,000 BTUs per gallon. This equates into reduced fuel mileage depending upon the fuel mixture percentage.
Handling & Safety

Since ethanol is less volatile than gasoline, there?s a reduced chance of explosion in spills and accidents. Although it is more corrosive than gasoline, it is less toxic.

Potential

The future looks good for ethanol. Not only are many ethanol refineries in the planning stages or under construction, ethanol blends (E85, E10) are becoming easier to obtain. Plus, it's fairly simple to implement into your life: With a flex-fuel vehicle and a local fueling station, you can just fill up and drive away.

======================

Octane Rating

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The octane rating is a measure of the resistance of petrol and other fuels to auto ignition in spark-ignition internal combustion engines.

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

======================

I CALLED THE KWIK TRIP IN ELKHORN, WI. AND THEY
DID ACTUALLY HAVE 91 GRADE PURE GAS FOR $3.05 A GALLON

Last edited by WB9MCW; 09-18-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2010   #18
Belsy

Talk to a boater , they have to deal with moisture & stale fuel as they sit for long periods!!! Consensus there is to run old fuel out and use Sta-Bil for any long sitting periods.
Not sure what cold areas are doing??
95 ZR-1 #399
Dunn heads
X-pipe w/3"
misc. mods
Belsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010   #19
WB9MCW

Sure Gene we know all about doing that--- it is the 10% E in the gas now that eats at the injectors and other parts that 90-92's were never designed for.

And with the plan to go up to 15% E it will get much worse.

I am so happy I found a solution for real gas only abt 30 miles for me to go to Elkhorn, WI.

BTW I just start my Z every 30 days and warm up a good 15 min. -- all winter long --- good to move the DOHC oil around all the cam parts and TC every month anyway.

MY OTHER HOTROD

Last edited by WB9MCW; 09-19-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2010   #20
SDZR-1

FYI
I recieved this in an email attachment from the South Dakota Propane and Petroleum Marketers Assn. of America today regarding the e15 approval:

EPA APPROVES VERY RESTRICTED USE OF E-15
WEDNESDAY, October 13, 2010 -
Over the past few months, PMAA has frequently reported
on the likely EPA approval of E-15 for 2007 and newer vehicles. While EPA issued the approval today,
PMAA believes the preponderance of U.S. retailers will not offer the fuel until legal and regulatory issues
are resolved. The decision issued today announced a partial decision in a waiver petition filed by the
nation?s largest ethanol producers to permit the use of E-15 gasoline blends in conventional fueled
vehicles. As expected, the EPA approved the use of E-15 gasoline blends in model year 2007 and newer
vehicles. The E-15 waiver might extend to model year 2001 and newer vehicles by the end of the year
according to the agency. The waiver petition was filed in March 2009 by Growth Energy, Inc., a
consortium of ethanol producers.
The waiver decision represents a mixed bag for petroleum marketers. While marketers generally support
the increased use of mid- level ethanol blends, uncertainty remains over whether E-15 is compatible with
existing petroleum storage and dispensing equipment which is only certified for blends up to a maximum
10 percent ethanol.
The lingering uncertainty over compatibility raises liability concerns for petroleum marketers due to
potential releases from existing storage tanks and dispensing equipment. Liability for consumer
misfueling is also a major concern for marketers since the EPA decision limits the use of E-15 blends to
only a fraction of existing conventional fueled vehicles. This risk of intentional consumer misfueling is also
expected to increase since E-15 is expected to cost less than existing E-10 blended gasoline. The EPA
hopes to reduce incidents of consumer misfueling with new dispenser labels that are part of a proposed
rule that accompanied today?s announcement.
Petroleum marketers will likely see no immediate effect as a result of the EPA?s E-15 approval. The
decision does not create a mandate but simply gives marketers the option to sell E-15 product. Few
refiners, suppliers or marketers are expected to jump on the E-15 bandwagon until liability concerns are
fully addressed and the number of E-15 compatible vehicles grows significantly.
PMAA will continue to work with both the EPA and Congress to limit marketers risk of liability for E-15

use.
SDZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote