Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-15-2010   #41
bobbyhi

Default Re: Blue Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLPWR View Post
Bob,
I found the pcv's today @ X-L Parts in houston 281-445-9109
CV913C & CV769C. i bought a few extra if you have trouble finding them let me know.

Luis

oh they had the fuel filter also, GF652 supeceded the GF481

Thanks for letting me know. I had a hard time finding the LH but did find one on Amazon. The RH is readily available from NAPA and O'Reilly's. Just replace the fuel filter last fall.

Still wondering about the tie-wrap if it is a factory install or done later. Someone will chime in and let me know.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #42
FULLPWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhi View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I had a hard time finding the LH but did find one on Amazon. The RH is readily available from NAPA and O'Reilly's. Just replace the fuel filter last fall.

Still wondering about the tie-wrap if it is a factory install or done later. Someone will chime in and let me know.

I guess mine didnt have a tie wrap, curious where is yours at ?
i put the silicone f hose with mini hose claps on it i got from whiteracing in 2006, but it didnt have a tie wrap that i can remember.
FULLPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #43
FULLPWR

ok tonite i fixed the vacuum leak next to the tps, changed out the pcv's, wanted to see if it changed anything b-4 plug changeout just to know what caused it if it fixed it or not.

cranked it up no smoke ran smooth then few seconds later started shaking as if missing real bad, smoking again.
slightly rev'd it just a little (oil not hot yet) smoothed out, then started shakingcagain.
trying hard to really determine the color of smoke i swear its bluish black.
i took a better look at the inside of the tailpipe and it look black black smooty.

took it out for a short drive and it runs good then hesitates at around 4-5k
got back and still smoking but less. shut it down got out and heard a whinning from hatch area like fuel pump, i opened gas hatch and it was the cap was just a hair loose. also noticed my serpentine tensioner is way to close to the crank pulley bout .060", need to get that before it wacks it.

from what you guys have described maybe it is a fuel issue......
going to change plugs tomorrow when engine is cold. then see what happens after. and then will try to see if i can pull any codes prob shoulda done that already but leary of poking in that plug.
Old 04-15-2010   #44
jonszr1

maybe you have a friend that has a scann tool. h. you can ck for vacume leaks with a propane torch .(unlit ) just attach about 3ft of 3/8 hose to it start the motor and turn the tank on and run the end of the hose over vacume areas if the rpms go up u have found you leak . also if you smoke dont while doing this test. but you also may have a fuel pump going out or a clogged fuel filter . just go slow and the problem will show itself .
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #45
scottfab

It's the old "ignition" or "fuel".
My most resent issue with a miss like this was a single bad plug on #3.
Years ago I did have a partial fuel pump failure which manifested differently than your description. Mine cut out completely for a few seconds at a time.
For fuel issues I always attach my specially long hosed fuel pressure gauge so I can view from the driver's seat.

I would suggest that if you use any type of propane to look for a vacuum leak that you have someone standby with a good fire extinguisher. Propane and natural gas scare the crap out of me, but then that's from almost being blown up when I was 19.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010   #46
FULLPWR

smoking problem
today when changing that trans seal, I stopped to really look at the cats and found that both cats are HOLLOW, empty coffee cans.

took out #8 plug, was same as others, ok

to date i have intalled: pcv's, ngk's plugs, A.I.R. smog pump, fuel filter,

checked fuel pressure not running 52 lbs... uh still need to ck running

tomorrow going to try checking codes per manual,and fuel pressure running.

cant i just cut the cats off and install high flow cats for now and get an exhuast sys later????

Luis
Old 04-16-2010   #47
FULLPWR

Found vacuum leak under plenum!!

anybody in houston have a set of plenum gaskets?

gonna pull it in the morning.
Old 04-16-2010   #48
bobbyhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLPWR View Post
Found vacuum leak under plenum!!

anybody in houston have a set of plenum gaskets?

gonna pull it in the morning.
Best place for gasketes is jerrysgaskets.com. He's not in Huston but takes care of you very quickly. Very active on the forum here. He's one of the good guys..... He has everything you need.
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010   #49
FULLPWR

thanks bob

was hoping to get some asap to be able to close it up tomorrow, but wont hurt to wait a day or two. i knew i shouldve had an xtra set..
Old 04-17-2010   #50
tomtom72

Bob & Luis, the white zip strap is for sure "back yard / red neck engineering" at it's finest! I was doing that to my PCV holder set up before I bit the bullet and bought the samco set up. I also used a zip tie on the double rubber connector at the T/Body where the evap line & PCV suction line connect. I use black zip ties though!

This is what I found to be a workable answer to our oil fumes in the PCV system. I put screw clamps on the samco holder to garb the bottoms of the PCV valves. I used an old school sprung steel fuel line clamp at the end of the F connector where the hard line comes into it. I used screw clamps at the tops of the PCV valves on the F connector. The samco stuff felt really tight when I first installed the kit, but after a coupla hundred miles I had an oil mess at the F-connector and the tops of the PCV valves. Added the clamps and now no more mess!

Luis, I would like to just share something relating to diagnostics. This is what I think I learned from working on my car so far, so take it with several grains of salt. We have a lot of potential vacuum leak spots. Some of which could cause the ECM to try to change the fueling ( maybe make black smoke momentarily? ) if one of the MAP sensors can detect the extra air from the leak it might add fuel? Also, recently I swapped out my fuel pumps and they were within the FSM limits, but they were 20 yrs old. I have to say that the low speed hot knock under load that I've been chasing ever since I bought my car is now gone. Oh, and the throttle response is way crisper to boot! Oh, and she smells better at the tail pipes too when she's hot. I'm not saying that this is related to your issues. It's maybe just another story with a lesson(?), that's all.

I guess what I'm trying to say, badly I might add, is that for us back yard guys the interconnections of all the sub systems need to be carried in our minds when we try to diagnose some problem like a miss & vac leaks & smoke. I know for me, I was raised on holley carbs and points, so I'm still trying to educate myself with these cars. Sooo, don't get discouraged. We can help each other & we will even get the right answer.....but I figure that with intermittent driveability issues we need to think in "integrated" systems' issues? As an example of the systems thinking, I WAS WRONG about the size of the injectors. The ECM determines pulse width ( how much fuel to squirt ) not the ultimate flow capacity of the injector.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote