Default Re: TOP END REFINISHING

Your a Wildman Shade.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #62
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Stuff paper towel in those ports ASAP.....
Actually you did cover with duct tape.....
I stuff paper towel first just in case the duct tape gets moved.

Actually I use that Blue Tape painters use to mask off windows and stuff......it comes off clean.

Are you going to remove those cam covers

I should just shut up and watch

You got a helper...I can tell....someone else is taking those photos
Nope - no helper here Cliff - got one of the cams on a tripod http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...2&postcount=95

But do feel free to do a road trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Your a Wildman Shade.
Yup - ever since I hatched.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 10-18-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #63
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
Your a Wildman Shade.
I concur
Wildman Shade is setting NEW STANDARDS

That moniker Shade may stick

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-18-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #64
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I concur
Wildman Shade is setting NEW STANDARDS
And breaking new ground. He has inspired me to attempt changing my own oil.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #65
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Get some oil under the hose w/ little screwdriver (SPEAKING of screwdrivers ) and break the seal
What I do for hoses that refuse removal is take my special tool (single edge razer blade) and cut hose length wise over the connector and then using a flat screw driver lift the cut edges (same on coolant hoses). Since I am installing new hoses anyway

Quote:
Cliff, Jerry - anybody - got a snappics of this guy OUT? It ain't budgin' or rotatin' and gotta' see what I'm lookin' for here...
Get a couple of these also from Jerry.........Grommet PCV Valve

Do NOT jimmy the surface of the Injector Housing......You could just take a single edge razer blade and cut off flush and then pull it out from the center.....

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-18-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013   #66
Schrade

Quote:
And breaking new ground
That scares me. I'm countin' on lotsa' help re-assembly here; LT1 was cake compared to this - did the same thing on CF before gettin' banned (for something else).

I slow down, bolts back in empty holes, post up, write stuff out as you go, helps to remember sequences...

IH cleanup begins (FIRST SIDE - might be ready for BG in the spring, WITH the Z, instead of my little Nissan sewing machine ) .

Oil the bolts, run 'em in and out a few times, clean threads with a toothbrush as you go

Label bolts config

ready for a bath

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 10-19-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-18-2013   #67
mike100

I left my grommet in and just undid the hose clamp and pulled the tube out. BTW, I have had the lid off my LT5 3 or 4 times and it only takes about 3-4 months for it to become filthy again. The C4 vette sucks up more garbage up its nose than a coke addict. Nature of the beast I guess. Good thing you are taking pics because that's the only way the clean will last.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #68
Franke

Schrade, that grommet(s) may have been installed previously with some RTV and could be why it doesn't budge. Some folks do that to assure no leaks but it makes it a little tougher to remove too.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #69
mike100

Quote:
No additives can be added? No filters in any emissions plumbing? Some sort of netting where air come into engine bay?

Doesn't most of the 'inside buildup / carbon', come from hammer down?
Just road dirt and dust-gets all in the valley of the engine in no time. Been there done that I washed my parts in the dishwasher to help clean out the metal shavings after porting.

mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013   #70
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Just road dirt and dust-gets all in the valley of the engine in no time. Been there done that I washed my parts in the dishwasher to help clean out the metal shavings after porting.

Now THAT looks clean. Can I mail' ya' mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
You do know there are O-rings inside of the injector housing at the primary injector locations...... A little oil on the finger to lube them before installing injectors will make the installation easier & protect the O-rings from damage. FWIW, the original O-rings are 20+ years old and we now have ethanol in gasoline. You might give some thought about replacing the fuel system O-rings while you are at this juncture.
OK - going back re-reading stuff...
Damn if I didn't forget about the primary O's in the IH. Probably blew them out at the car wash (afraid to look now)...

And note to self (thanks again on this one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Yep...... that's where it goes. You will also need to remove the Secondary Port Throttle Linkage Shields and the linkage itself to get the CC Vent Cover out. I suggest you tighten the bolts (13ea, 8mm hex) first and clean all around it first so none of the gunk & grit around it falls in when the Cover is removed. Once it's off, virtually a straight shot down into the crank case.

It's no big step to go ahead & remove the injector housings while you are this deep. The bolts typically get loose over time and the gaskets may be in sad shape. A lot easier to access the Primary Fuel Injector Lower Seals with the housings on the bench.
Usually DO do cleaning before & after breakdown for this reason - another good tip there