ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-12-2013   #1
Schrade

Exclamation TOP END REFINISHING

2nd ed.:

DEFINITELY read Cliff's - user <Dynomite> - links when he links them. They're not always directly to the pertinent information about what you're on at some point in repair - you'll have to read it ALL to get to the info, but it's ALL there, and you HAVE to go through it. (Thanks a ton for that stuff Cliff). Use your bookmarks tool in your browser for the info when you hit it, and note that sometimes you'll run across info that's IMPORTANT at a LATER point...

edit:
This is continued from the DataMaster thread, for 'hesitation' diagnosis
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21259

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next in the 'Hesitation' troubleshoot is spark plugs and wires check. Meaning access to the distributor to yank the wires.

This is about to become a Plenum Pull.

ed.:
This is now a plenum pull thread.
Link to the best procedure / tips / tricks?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 12-15-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #2
Franke

Default Re: Throttle hesitation diagnostics?

I guess if you are going under there it might be wise to check all vac lines, check valves and mechanical/electrical connections too.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #3
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Next in the 'Hesitation' troubleshoot is spark plugs and wires check. Meaning access to the distributor to yank the wires.

This is about to become a Plenum Pull.

ed.:
This is now a plenum pull thread.
Link to the best procedure / tips / tricks?

There is no distributor. You mean the DIS and ignition coil housing.
The biggest PITA for me are the 2 Ignition Module connectors up under the plenum. Other than that it's about a 15-20 min job IF you don't need to drain the coolant.

That TB looks like it hasn't been off for some time. Any obvious signs of torn gasket or vacuum leaks.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX

Last edited by XfireZ51; 10-12-2013 at 06:03 PM.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #4
Schrade

11 bolts out - she's loose. Something holding it from underneath?

and all the surrounding plumbing unhooked and tagged...

???
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 10-12-2013   #5
Dynomite

Great Photos....thanks....

Quote:
It's been asked of me why the TB, and TB extension were pulled. Do they not have to come off to yank the plenum?

Anyway here, 2 hours cleaning (+ some extra narcotics for standing time UGH).

Screw threads cleaned with a toothbrush, bolt holes cleaned running the screws in and out with WD40, and flushed with more WD spray. Passages with pipe cleaner and paintbrush. Gasket faces with 1600 grit.

Spic and span sterile. Hate those stains tho'

And I didn't disconnect the linkage cams (YET)...

Plenum to the car wash...

Jerry! My best buddy! happen to know anyone who sells gaskets???
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013   #6
Dynomite

Quote:
Thanks there Cliff - glad I could help.

What's in front of MAP??? LOCTITE???

Looks like some harness connecors???
Not sure what you are asking

See Removing Plenum (including the 10 minute Plenum Removal)

15. Disconnect two small electrical connectors rear under Plenum (MAP and DIS).
16. Unscrew 1/4 bolt in Main DIS Connector rear of Plenum.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #7
XfireZ51

That the cam sensor plug. Feel underneath, should be a tang to unlock it. Be careful tho not to break the tang. Pull down and push back plug at the same time. You also unbolted the DIS connector right?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013   #8
Schrade

Drum roll...

Old 10-13-2013   #9
Schrade

... and now this message from our sponsor.

Old 10-13-2013   #10
Schrade

This is regular heat sink paste? For mounting CPU heatsinks???