ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-27-2014   #61
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Headers Installation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
What DID they use to hold the gaskets in place in BG???
I used a smear of the RED, HIGH TEMP RTV on both sides of the gasket to stick it in place. That center bolt serves as a convenient hanger to hold the gasket in place. Just have to be careful not to accidentally scrub it out of place while situating the header.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014   #62
Dynomite

Camshaft Position Sensor
Knock Sensor

Below the Knock Sensor would be the Oil Level Sensor mounted on the Oil Pan if the LT5 is a 91' or later.

Now.....do not clobber it all up trying to fix it

Last edited by Dynomite; 04-27-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #63
Karl

I have my top end done, less the.cylinder heads and what a difference!!!

The obx headers hit the steering rack and required a ding in the #1 tube to clear. I don't like it and plan on having the #1 tube reshaped. Pete showed me some Jeal and Watson headers and they all needed a ding to clear, but the obx a little more.

This car has some balls now and is quite impressive. I will have some new dyno numbers soon to post.

Good luck!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #64
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
I have my top end done, less the.cylinder heads and what a difference!!!

The obx headers hit the steering rack and required a ding in the #1 tube to clear. I don't like it and plan on having the #1 tube reshaped. Pete showed me some Jeal and Watson headers and they all needed a ding to clear, but the obx a little more.

This car has some balls now and is quite impressive. I will have some new dyno numbers soon to post.

Good luck!
Amazing what a little more air does for these motors, isn't it? BTW, my Watsons required no mod. The tubes are 1 7/8" on these, which I think has no real affect on power.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #65
Karl

The obx are 2", and I am most likely mistaking the brand of one of those headers in petes garage.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #66
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod-v8 View Post
The obx are 2", and I am most likely mistaking the brand of one of those headers in petes garage.
Karl,

No I think you are right. He has Jeals and Watsons there. Some of the interference is vehicle specific depending on how the motor is positioned.
1/8" can make a diff.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014   #67
efnfast

My OBX rubbed on the steering shaft. Had I known this before I had them coated I would have dimpled them. Instead, we shimmed the motor mounts. Don't go too crazy, there ain't much room under the hood to lift the engine.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014   #68
4-cam

Wouldn't be any fun if it bolted right in, then any body could do it. It seems like I always have to be a bit more creative when working on the Z. Nothing seems to go as planned but I think thats why we we all seem to enjoy these cars...... there just little different if you know what I mean.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #69
Z06scentair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Bolt right in... Dream on Schrade.

Where's J Becker? What pipes do you have with your automatic? Anyone else been here???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So we're still working on clearance for the shift linkage. As little milling / modification as possible here.

The PE 3" pipes are designed for a C4, and the D side pipe even has an angle recessed for an LT1 with a 4L60e - I got a CLOSE fit, with no milling. But it was too close, with heat a consideration. The tranny control module has a temp monitor w/ warning, for the tranny fluid heat.

So I decided to wrap the header-to-X-pipe sections (oops - gave away the header wrap excess ), and the wrap made for contact with the shift linkage - the rubber boot / sleeve. The additional wrap might also quell some drone...

For the 'Pittman' arm 'A' at the shifter, I can take some bend out, without affecting the shift shaft range of motion. Getting 'Park won't be a problem - it gets the 'P' detente. I never go there anyway - e-brake for parking...

I also zipped off about 1/4" - 5/16" off of that stud for the cable end, along with about 1/3 of the bolt itself, for additional clearance.

Then the rear cable stay bracket has to be given about 1/4" additional recess at the Blue. Bending THAT bracket is out of the question - it has re-enforcement in the 'square'.

Looks like you have it whipped into shape Chuck!

They sell some velcro heat sheild you could wrap the linkage with. It comes in a few diameters to fit each subject matter.

Made by a company called DEI??

If you could removed a small section on the header wrap, would it give the clearance needed?
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014   #70
Schrade

What's up Brad...

I had clearance without wrap, but it was too close. I wanted heat protection.

It will clear once I get the bend in forward, and the bracket recess opened up inward toward the pan.

#1 cleared the steering shaft. Only things I see now is the dipstick, and O2 reach.

Everything ELSE should bolt in.

No chance of beach time next week there Brad? Gonna' try to get up with J Fletcher and do some range time one day. 9 beds; only me, sis + stepmom... Gonna' squeeze a few .30 Carbine, M1A .308. My Rock-Ola is a REAL tack driver, ESPECIALLY for .30 Carbine...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote