ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2013   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: engine wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ZR1#1221 View Post
Well I brought my old oil filter in to work today (I sell construction equipment) had one of the mechanics look at and apparently all the crap in the filter was paint from the hacksaw blade I used to cut the filter open with... Rookie mistake I know. But there was no metal in the media itself. I had them use a filter cutter to cut open the other filter I put on it to flush the engine and once again there was no metal. I just got to get those last three little bolts out and the pan will be ready to come off but the guys in my shop just think I'm being overly dramatic.

That is extremely good news...but does not explain what you seen on dipstick and in oil you drained quite yet unless that is the "Overly Dramatic" Part

Quote:
Shut the car off and checked the engine oil which I do religiously. Upon inspection it was low. Very low. I also saw what I thought at first glance was bubbles but upon further inspection was shiny bits of metal. Put a magnet to it, it's not magnetic. Now I know the engine is going to wear and there will be metal in the oil but enough that it shows up on the dipstick?
Quote:
So drained the oil and cut the filter open. Both the engine oil and the filter were full of what I would say looks like brass. It's not magnetic however did find a few pieces of metal that stick to my magnet. Took an oil sample which will get sent out tomorrow to see exactly what types of metals I have in there. Till then it'll be sitting in my garage under the car cover till I figure out what my next move is.
Or....Maybe we did not understand that the oil was actually clear when you drained the oil and what you seen on the dipstick was in fact bubbles

But then again...you did say your oil pan bolts had dropped out....almost half of the fourteen 8mm bolts
Quote:
I found the problem to my oil leak too. The pan was probably missing five or six bolts.

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-06-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote