ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-18-2006   #1
Hammer

Thumbs up #8 Plug change

I just got done changing plugs and the #8 posed a real problem at first. I made short work of it with the following special tools.
Pencil type extendable magnet (most any magnet of this type would do)
Lithium Grease
Spark plug Socket (make sure it has the rubber to hold the plug)

Removing is easy, drop you plug socket down the hole and then a short extension after that. Push it all the way in so the socket and extension are mated and are on the plug. the extension will protrude out the hole a little bit. Then connect a universal joint to the extension and a longer extension to the universal. You can screw out the plug now. Once the plug is free hold the short universal and remove the longer extension. This leaves the plug, plug socket and short extension in the hole. Pull the contraption out until you can remove the short extension. I then used the magnet to fish the socket with the plug in it out of the hole.

Installing is a little harder but it wasn't that bad either. I prepped the plug socket with lithium grease and then ran the plug in a few times to spread it over the rubber. You will see that the plug now pulls out of the socket pretty easy.

OK here goes. I used anti-seize on the plug threads by the way.
Insert the plug into the socket and lower it into the hole with the magnet, then insert the short extension into the plug socket. At this point you can just kinda twist the extension into the plug socket and tighten it by hand a little. then the universal on a long extension is inserted into the short extension and the plug tightened. Once tight you should be able to remove the plug socket from the plug. This is where the lithium grease comes in handy. Then it's just a matter of disassembling everything to the point where just the plug socket is left in the hole. retrieve it with the magnet and your done.

I hope this is clear enough that you all get the idea anyway. It worked for me and made an ugly job much easier.

John Boyd
Newbie Member #760
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #2
golfz

Default Re: #8 Plug change

here is a way thats super easy .Get a plug socket that comes witha universal [Autozone] use a3/8 breaker bar.pop that baby loose pull the bar put on a 1-1/2 ext and spin it out with your fingers. I've found also that when you first get the plug socket pull the rubber and a little round file to loosen her up and you can change all the plugs in nothing flat. just another way to do it .hope it helps.
golfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006   #3
8upZR1

I take the rubber out of the plug socket and use a magnet for retrieval of the plug.
Old 04-19-2009   #4
USAFPILOT

the advice above is spot on
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #5
Dynomite

Number 8 Spark Plug Removal and Test Drive with Jeff Gordon

Blackhawk 5/8" Spark Plug Swivel Sockets 3/8" Drive for No. 8 cylinder

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-28-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #6
XfireZ51

Try a piece of rubber hose and stick plug in one end. Then get it down the hole and tighten. After that u just torque the plug.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post

Magnetic?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #8
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
the advice above is spot on
And this thread is, like....so old.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #9
USAFPILOT

yeah this thread is old all right...I last posted in 2009.
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013   #10
Dynomite

You all missed the point

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-30-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote