ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-09-2013   #1
Racinfan83

Default Got to know my new baby a bit better today...

Well I finally had time to get to work on this car today. Had to run it to dealer this am so they could fix the antenna they screwed up a couple weeks ago while working on the 3rd brakelight.. Get over there and the antenna they were sent was the wrong one. So they offered me a free oil change with Mobil 1 and a full tank of gas. So I went ahead and had em change the oil since I was gonna do that today anyway. Get it home and it has some Fram filter on it. So I promptly took that off and switched it out for the AC filter I had already. So that's done. Took airbox off to put the new AC filter in - guess what - it already had a K&N in it =D>.. SWEET. But the weatherstripping that sealed the box to the filter was pretty used up, so I scraped and cleaned that all off and redid that so no dirt would get in there. Funny thing was I went to dump out the airbox (little bits of junk in it) a 10mm nut fell out of it. No idea where the heck that came from - but glad I found it. Changed out the PCV valves. Changed the plugs - looked like the originals were still in it - they had some rust on the nut part and were the FRS2C or whatever came in it. I put in AC 61-402s. Had no problem with #8 - used that Blackhawk swivel sparkplug socket someone mentioned. Piece of cake. #7 was a little entertaining however.. Torqued plugs to 20 and used anti-seize. I also fabbed up a debris screen for the radiator. Took a piece of aluminum gutter cover screen that I got at Home Depot for $2.32 and cut it to fit the length, then removed the two clips and moved them even with the foglight bolt holes, reattached them, when I straightened them out to fit the piece where the bolt comes through there was already a square hole there that a 1/4" bolt fit through. I used 1/4x3/4 hex bolts with a washer and nut. Drilled 2 holes in the side of the air dam and zip tied the bottom on each side. Painted black. Here are the pics of that:

I also got all the glass Rain-X'ed and cleaned on the inside. I'm one tired puppy right now...LOL
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Racinfan83; 05-10-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #2
mike100

Default Re: Got to know my new baby a bit better today...

That screen will pay dividends later on for sure. C4's snort more junk than a coke addict.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #3
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
That screen will pay dividends later on for sure. C4's snort more junk than a coke addict.
That is an interesting analogy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #4
PhillipsLT5

Check your oil level, they may think SBC, 5 qts
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #5
cvette98pacecar

There are many articles on Mobile 1 and the lack of zink and phosphorus in their formula.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013   #6
Fully Vetted

Thanks for the write up on the debris screen. I was headed to HD tomorrow to see what I could use. I'll be making one this weekend.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #7
Corbusa

Great timing .. I am in the process of making a couple screens myself. I have a friend who is a metal worker that is getting me some stainless mesh.
Corbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #8
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
LOL!!! Yeah I can imagine. Kinda hard to believe they didn't put something there from the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Check your oil level, they may think SBC, 5 qts
Already did - it is actually a bit overfull - but the Fram filter that was on it had no anti-drainback valve on it. So I think since I put the correct AC filter on - it should be pretty close to perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvette98pacecar View Post
There are many articles on Mobile 1 and the lack of zink and phosphorus in their formula.
I have used Mobil 1 for years on my other vehicles with no oil related issues. And I saw a poll on the forum that Mobil 1 was the most used by ZR-1 owners. I am not willing to pay $4 a quart more for Amsoil - only to have someone write up something bad about it too. My professor in Tech school did his college thesis on oils - and analyzed/found/proved that there was not a whole lot of difference between brands. I stick with what works for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully Vetted View Post
Thanks for the write up on the debris screen. I was headed to HD tomorrow to see what I could use. I'll be making one this weekend.
Yeah those are back with the gutter stuff in the contractors area. $2.32 apiece. Get two in case you mess one up - they are cheap enough... I did and I did mess one up so.... It shouldn't take you long. I just cut to length with tin snips, and now that I think about it - you don't even have to drill the little clips. I did to start with - and then when I straightened them out there was already a square hole there that a 1/4" bolt fit through. I used 1/4x3/4 hex bolts with a washer and nut. Will fix on the above post...
I was going to drill the bottom of the air dam to zip-tie across the front - but I had to take some of the air dam bolts out as the piece was pulled out of the bolts from hitting curb stops or speed bumps or whatever. Made me think that if I hit something with the air dam it would rip the zip ties through the screen - so I left that loose....
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Racinfan83; 05-10-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2013   #9
Schrade

Check both headlights' mounting brackets for a lonesome mounting stud. Then stick your finger in each center hole, hood underside, where the C4 emblem is in the front.

Got a pic of the nut? Is it a machine nut? With integrated swivel washer? Or just a 'shell' of a nut (don't know the proper name for them) ...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #10
Racinfan83

It was a black 10mm nut with a swivel washer on it. Funny thing is that one of the air dam bolts had a nut jammed on it that was too small. Drove me nuts for a bit as I couldn't figure out why that nut wouldn't fit back on the bolt it just came off of. ( of course I couldn't see under there so I didn't realize it was just jammed on the end of the bolt ) But the wife saw that nut that I dumped out of the airbox and said it looked like the right size, and it was. So now that nut is under the air dam... I will look on the headlight deal - the PO just pulled the HL motors off and had them rebuilt before I got it...