ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-01-2014   #1
KGV

Default Looking for TÜV approved brake pads

Hi,

I live in Germany, and it is now time to replace my brake pads. I was going to try the pads from Hawk, but they are not TÜV approved, so they are not street legal in Germany. I do not want to run parts that are not certified in case there is an incident, and the insurance company rejects any claims.

Does any one know of any road legal EU pads? I looked at the Brembo catalogue, but I did not see any C4 pads. I bought my ZR-1 in 2002 from the original owner in Belgium. The car had aftermarket mufflers, so the garage had to have someone from the TÜV inspect the mufflers before I could register if for the road. I have a feeling that I will end up with OEM pads from GM.

Several years ago I was driving through Switzerland, and traffic from the highway was diverted to a secondary road down from the San Bernardino tunnel. It was a steep decline, and even using engine braking, I could feel that the pads were not coping well. I wanted to try and find pads that could handle any future descents, maybe even the Stelvio

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken
KGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014   #2
gbrtng

Default Re: Looking for TÜV approved brake pads

The front pads are common to C4 from 1988 (?) to 1996, so GM should have something TUV approved - but if you want competition pads, I would still start with GM. Also, some Cobra Mustangs from the 1990s used the same caliper/pad so that might be another avenue. What pad makers are available to you in Germany?
Old 04-03-2014   #3
KGV

Thanks for the information. I looked on the Internet. and the Corvette pads that show up for sale in Germany show they are not TUV approved, so not street legal. I guess that a lot of people just use the pads on the street anyway and do not worry about the official approval.

I will check with the GM dealer near where I work.

Ken
Old 04-03-2014   #4
WVZR-1

I would think EBC has TUV product. They promote it on their UK site and their R&D comments:

EBC in Germany:

http://www.ebc-brakes.de/

Does ECE R90 spec replace or include TUV:

http://ebcbrakes.com/about-ebc/research-development/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-03-2014 at 07:04 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014   #5
KGV

Thanks for the links. I sent them an email and they said theC4 brakes were not REG 90 or TUV approved. The approval is not required in the US, and the C4 pre dates any certification requirement in the UK. I will send a note to the TUV and see if brake pads for my 1991 are exempt in Germany. If so, that will make it easier.

Thanks,

Ken